Thread: 6800GT - Dual Display

Thanks

6800GT - Dual Display

Hi,

I was trying to set up a dual display on my 6800GT. Ive got two screens hooked up to the card, but annoyingly, it just stretches the desktop either horizontally or vertically. So if I open something the window is stretched over two screens . I can understand how this might be cool when playing a game, but its rather impractical when working on multiple applications.

Is there anyway I can get this card to work as a normal dual display?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    • hatsumi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X470 Auros
      • CPU:
      • 2700X
      • Memory:
      • 24Gb DD3 Corsair Dominator 1600
      • Storage:
      • SSD and HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 850W Gold
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF932 Adv
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Ilyama 27" 1440p Freesync
      • Internet:
      • VM 500MB
    Is it stretching or extending? Last time I used two monitors with my 6800GT it extended the desktop, anything that opens in the centre of the screen spreads over the two monitors. IIRC you need to play with the nview settings. Again IIRC if you right click the icon for the prog you want loading you can select a monitor, insteading of the centre spread. Its been 10 months or so since I used nview but that was a problem I also had. In fact you might be able to define a default monitor for programs to open in, but that might just be me remembering wrong!!

Thanks
    I take it the "Dualview" option is missing then?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hatsumi
    Is it stretching or extending? Last time I used two monitors with my 6800GT it extended the desktop, anything that opens in the centre of the screen spreads over the two monitors. IIRC you need to play with the nview settings. Again IIRC if you right click the icon for the prog you want loading you can select a monitor, insteading of the centre spread. Its been 10 months or so since I used nview but that was a problem I also had. In fact you might be able to define a default monitor for programs to open in, but that might just be me remembering wrong!!

Hatsumi, that worked like a dream. Thanks!!

I wasnt aware that the nview icon would give you more options. Unlike the card configuration option (display properties > advanced) there was a duel display setting. This did what I wanted it to do.

Thanks for that.

Krish.

Thanks
    • hatsumi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X470 Auros
      • CPU:
      • 2700X
      • Memory:
      • 24Gb DD3 Corsair Dominator 1600
      • Storage:
      • SSD and HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 850W Gold
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF932 Adv
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Ilyama 27" 1440p Freesync
      • Internet:
      • VM 500MB
    No problem, glad to help

Registered+
    Thanks
    I've got dual monitors & use nView. In addition to that, i would really recommend checking out http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/. Adds a bit more customisation to a dual monitor setup, my favourite of which is the ability to have separate taskbars on each screen, only showing that screen's applications. Tried it and couldn't now live without it.

Thanks
    What I want is the ability to alt-tab out of a full screen DirectX app (i.e. game) onto the second monitor without it minimising the game. Makes web browsing/emailing while waiting for a new round to start a pain in the butt.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Believe it or not... I don't actually have a single game on my pc so don't know much about that.... I assumed that they only maximised to one screen anyway. If, for instance I watch a DVD full screen, it only maximises to one screen, and the other carries on as normal.

What happens when you play a game then? is the other screen blank while you are playing?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DonLennon
    What happens when you play a game then? is the other screen blank while you are playing?
    Both screens are displaying exactly what they should, DirectX grabs the mouse though and won't let go of it. Alt-tab frees it up but minimises the game so I can't see what's going on, what I want is to be able to use the apps on my second monitor without having to minimise the game.

Unfortunately I don't believe it can be done which is a pain.

Thanks
    • arthurleung's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5E (Rampage Formula 0902)
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 3.6Ghz 1.2V
      • Memory:
      • A-Data DDR2-800 2x2GB CL4
      • Storage:
      • 4x1TB WD1000FYPS @ RAID5 3Ware 9500S-8 / 3x 1TB Samsung Ecogreen F2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GeCube HD4870 512MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair VX450
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Server 2008 Standard
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp 2709W + 2001FP
      • Internet:
      • Be*Unlimited 20Mbps
    Thats exectly the reason I got 2 rigs running at the same time. The point is, I got like MSN, IRC, some P2P and background stuff going on. They draw some CPU time and it just make games lag like sh*t. And you absolutely don't want MSN to pop up a chat window and crash your game when you're about to do a head shot. You got seperate keyboard and mouse not to disrupt your current gameplay. Not to mention something like MSN online notice sound which is so loud when you have your surround system all fired up (yet you may not want to turn it off). A dual core may solve the cpu time problem but it definitely help getting a seperate rig.

Depends on what resolution run. If you have your screen 1 having the same resolution before and after the game, screen 2's content will stay the same. If you changed your resolution (i.e. changing from 1280x1024 to 1024x768) then all the windows in screen2 will move. This may not happen if you got your screen 2 on the left or above screen1.
    Workstation 1: Intel i7 950 @ 3.8Ghz / X58 / 12GB DDR3-1600 / HD4870 512MB / Antec P180
    Workstation 2: Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.6Ghz / X38 / 4GB DDR2-800 / 8400GS 512MB / Open Air
    Workstation 3: Intel Xeon X3350 @ 3.2Ghz / P35 / 4GB DDR2-800 / HD4770 512MB / Shuttle SP35P2
    HTPC: AMD Athlon X4 620 @ 2.6Ghz / 780G / 4GB DDR2-1000 / Antec Mini P180 White
    Mobile Workstation: Intel C2D T8300 @ 2.4Ghz / GM965 / 3GB DDR2-667 / DELL Inspiron 1525 / 6+6+9 Cell Battery

Display (Monitor): DELL Ultrasharp 2709W + DELL Ultrasharp 2001FP
    Display (Projector): Epson TW-3500 1080p
    Speakers: Creative Megaworks THX550 5.1
    Headphones: Etymotic hf2 / Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro

Storage: 8x2TB Hitachi @ DELL PERC 6/i RAID6 / 13TB Non-RAID Across 12 HDDs
    Consoles: PS3 Slim 120GB / Xbox 360 Arcade 20GB / PS2

Thread Information