Thread: Soundblaster X-Fi xtreme sound problem

Registered+
    I live in the South Pennines area of the West Riding of Yorkshire.
    Thanks

Unhappy Soundblaster X-Fi xtreme sound problem

Hi Everyone,
    Can someone help me with a sound problem? When I boot up I have no sound until I go into Creative Labs Console and move the apparent default Mode Setting from Game to Entertainment Mode. When I do this I see that it is set at 2/2.1 speakers instead of 7.1 speakers. I can manually alter this setting and the sound is fabulous! However, on next reboot its back to square one again!
    Can anyone tell me how to alter the default the settings to what I want? Also how to make sure that the sound is on at boot-up? The volume settings are not set at mute so I don't understand why there is no sound until I re-set the mode!
    I hope someone can help.
    Thanks.
    My Computer is Mesh Elite2 with Intel Pentium D950 Dual Core[3.4Ghz and 2MB Cache,800MHz] O/S is Windows Media Centre 2005.
    SO_19399

Thanks
    • GoNz0's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 something X99 based
      • Memory:
      • 16gb GSkill
      • Storage:
      • 4 SSD's + WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX980 Strix WC
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy 1250 (9 years and counting)
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • win10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • 220mb Cable
    new drivers are out, would suggest you uninstall your current drivers and run the updated ones to see if that fixes it.

its software related if you can sort it out each time.

http://uk.europe.creative.com/suppor...ame=Windows+XP

Registered+
    Thanks

Smile Hi Everyone!

Many thanks to GoNzO for his message about drivers. I had already downloaded the latest Creative Labs driver for my Sound Card "SBXF_PCDRV_LB_2_09_0001.exe" dated 3rd July 2006 Size 41.92 Mb and installed it.
    However, following GoNzO's suggestion, I decided to remove the latest driver I had installed and re-installed it.
    I am keeping my fingers and everything else crossed and hope that that sorts it out.
    At least when I rebooted, the sound of XP starting up was there, whereas it wasn't before.
    I will be back with an update after a few reboots.
    Thanks again,
    Bye for now.

Thanks
    • arthurleung's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5E (Rampage Formula 0902)
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 3.6Ghz 1.2V
      • Memory:
      • A-Data DDR2-800 2x2GB CL4
      • Storage:
      • 4x1TB WD1000FYPS @ RAID5 3Ware 9500S-8 / 3x 1TB Samsung Ecogreen F2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GeCube HD4870 512MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair VX450
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Server 2008 Standard
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp 2709W + 2001FP
      • Internet:
      • Be*Unlimited 20Mbps
    Did you set in the Audio Console under Speaker option to sync with windows control panel?
    Workstation 1: Intel i7 950 @ 3.8Ghz / X58 / 12GB DDR3-1600 / HD4870 512MB / Antec P180
    Workstation 2: Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.6Ghz / X38 / 4GB DDR2-800 / 8400GS 512MB / Open Air
    Workstation 3: Intel Xeon X3350 @ 3.2Ghz / P35 / 4GB DDR2-800 / HD4770 512MB / Shuttle SP35P2
    HTPC: AMD Athlon X4 620 @ 2.6Ghz / 780G / 4GB DDR2-1000 / Antec Mini P180 White
    Mobile Workstation: Intel C2D T8300 @ 2.4Ghz / GM965 / 3GB DDR2-667 / DELL Inspiron 1525 / 6+6+9 Cell Battery

Display (Monitor): DELL Ultrasharp 2709W + DELL Ultrasharp 2001FP
    Display (Projector): Epson TW-3500 1080p
    Speakers: Creative Megaworks THX550 5.1
    Headphones: Etymotic hf2 / Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro

Storage: 8x2TB Hitachi @ DELL PERC 6/i RAID6 / 13TB Non-RAID Across 12 HDDs
    Consoles: PS3 Slim 120GB / Xbox 360 Arcade 20GB / PS2

Thanks

Question

Quote Originally Posted by chewvalleyman
    Many thanks to GoNzO for his message about drivers. I had already downloaded the latest Creative Labs driver for my Sound Card "SBXF_PCDRV_LB_2_09_0001.exe" dated 3rd July 2006 Size 41.92 Mb and installed it.
    However, following GoNzO's suggestion, I decided to remove the latest driver I had installed and re-installed it.
    I am keeping my fingers and everything else crossed and hope that that sorts it out.
    At least when I rebooted, the sound of XP starting up was there, whereas it wasn't before.
    I will be back with an update after a few reboots.
    Thanks again,
    Bye for now.

I am interested to know if you solved your problem Chewvalleyman because I have almost the same problem on a system I built recently. I've posted on Creatives Forums but haven't recieved any responses. See below

http://forums.creative.com/creativel...ssage.id=69720

I'm gonna work on the problem a bit more by uninstalling / re-installing, etc. and will post back here when I solve the problem. I will probably try switching PCI slots as well.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Hi Arthur leung,
    I found the Audio Console you mentioned which is avaialable through the control panel. Within the console is a speaker's tab and yes, the box is ticked for Synchonisation with Microsoft Windows Control Panel.
    Any other ideas?
    I thought I might have cured the problem when I re-installed the drivers etc but no.
    I still have no sound when my computer starts up until I go to Creative Labs console and change the mode from "Game Mode" to "Entertainment Mode". When I do that there is a split second flash on the screen of the "Mute" wording which comes up normally when you mute the speakers! However, the speakers are not set to mute, so that doesn't account for no sound. It is a real mystery.
    Creative Labs won't or can't help unless I remove my X-Fi Sound Card and give them the serial number and an ink number, which is on their card. To do this, I would have to open the tower and I am loathe to do this and possibly jeopodise my warranty!
    In any case, why should it be necessary to give Creative these numbers, when I have already told them the type of card it is? All I want to know is how to change the default from "Game Mode" to "Entertainment Mode" and why I have this problem of no sound when I re-start the computer.

Thanks
    Update, I am still working on this issue & am trying to talk to ASUS about it. I found another user with the same problem on the Tom's Hardware Guide forums. He eventually ditched his X-Fi and went with the Audigy 2 but I think this is an unresolved issue between the nForce 4 chipset and the X-Fi series of cards. It may also be linked to nVidia Chipset Drivers or a newly released BIOS update that causes the problem. I will post back on my findings when I have more information.

Actually, I think is a "Creative Issue" and they don't have a handle on it yet which is pretty damn sad because the X-Fi series of cards have been out for almost a year now!
    Last edited by Zillatech; 25-07-2006 at 02:04 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurleung
    Did you set in the Audio Console under Speaker option to sync with windows control panel?
    Arthur leung,

What sound cards are you using? Have you tried an X-Fi on your box, you might run into the same issue with your nForce 4 based system.

Thanks
    • arthurleung's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5E (Rampage Formula 0902)
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 3.6Ghz 1.2V
      • Memory:
      • A-Data DDR2-800 2x2GB CL4
      • Storage:
      • 4x1TB WD1000FYPS @ RAID5 3Ware 9500S-8 / 3x 1TB Samsung Ecogreen F2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GeCube HD4870 512MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair VX450
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Server 2008 Standard
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp 2709W + 2001FP
      • Internet:
      • Be*Unlimited 20Mbps
    Quote Originally Posted by Zillatech
    Arthur leung,

What sound cards are you using? Have you tried an X-Fi on your box, you might run into the same issue with your nForce 4 based system.
    I'm running my X-Fi XM on my DFI NF4 SLI-DR mobo and not a single problem.

Haven't tried that on my A8N-SLI though

They have different versions of cards with different serials. (a 3 yrs old SB Live is different from a 2 yrs old SB Live. They could have changed the chip but keeping the same product name. A different chip may have a different issue with a particular board and the driver wouldn't know which is which)

If you have a logitech keyboard I suggest you uninstall the logitech software and see if it helps. (I don't use the logitech software for my MX3100 / MX Duo)
    Logitech driver (IIRC) overtakes some sound-related function like volume control and changed some registry which prevented the Asus online update from working. It might be the logitech driver restoring your settings.

When I do that there is a split second flash on the screen of the "Mute" wording
    This suggest it happened after you login which is when the logitech software loads.
    Last edited by arthurleung; 25-07-2006 at 03:54 AM.
    Workstation 1: Intel i7 950 @ 3.8Ghz / X58 / 12GB DDR3-1600 / HD4870 512MB / Antec P180
    Workstation 2: Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.6Ghz / X38 / 4GB DDR2-800 / 8400GS 512MB / Open Air
    Workstation 3: Intel Xeon X3350 @ 3.2Ghz / P35 / 4GB DDR2-800 / HD4770 512MB / Shuttle SP35P2
    HTPC: AMD Athlon X4 620 @ 2.6Ghz / 780G / 4GB DDR2-1000 / Antec Mini P180 White
    Mobile Workstation: Intel C2D T8300 @ 2.4Ghz / GM965 / 3GB DDR2-667 / DELL Inspiron 1525 / 6+6+9 Cell Battery

Display (Monitor): DELL Ultrasharp 2709W + DELL Ultrasharp 2001FP
    Display (Projector): Epson TW-3500 1080p
    Speakers: Creative Megaworks THX550 5.1
    Headphones: Etymotic hf2 / Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro

Storage: 8x2TB Hitachi @ DELL PERC 6/i RAID6 / 13TB Non-RAID Across 12 HDDs
    Consoles: PS3 Slim 120GB / Xbox 360 Arcade 20GB / PS2

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurleung
    I'm running my X-Fi XM on my DFI NF4 SLI-DR mobo and not a single problem.

Haven't tried that on my A8N-SLI though

They have different versions of cards with different serials. (a 3 yrs old SB Live is different from a 2 yrs old SB Live. They could have changed the chip but keeping the same product name. A different chip may have a different issue with a particular board and the driver wouldn't know which is which)

If you have a logitech keyboard I suggest you uninstall the logitech software and see if it helps. (I don't use the logitech software for my MX3100 / MX Duo)
    Logitech driver (IIRC) overtakes some sound-related function like volume control and changed some registry which prevented the Asus online update from working. It might be the logitech driver restoring your settings.

This suggest it happened after you login which is when the logitech software loads.

FYI ~ (ps: no Logitech Hardware or Software involved, I run my systems "Very Clean") ~ Less is More

Hello, I have been searching everywhere on the web to try and trouble shoot a problem I'm having and found your post about your trouble with the X-Fi sound card and the Asus A8N5X motherboard. Below is a description of my problem. Did you have this problem ???

http://forums.creative.com/creativel...d=67704#M69720

The only thing I haven't tried is moving the sound card to another PCI slot (I'm using the 2nd one).

What problems did you have? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am thinking about ordering the Audigy 2 Platinum from NewEgg and ditching the X-Fi just to solve the problem.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102163

Thanks in advance ~

His reply:

Hey, I did have this problem with mine and it seems to hit in paricular the Asus boards with the NForce4 chipset. Not sure why, doesn't happen as much with MSI, Gigibyte, DFI... etc.

Some have gotten it to work with a bios update, in some cases even going back to an old bios. Different ones for different ppl but I've heard that the 1010 has had the most luck, not for me though. Try the bios update option (work your way up as it's harder to down grade i.e. go from 1010 to 1009 than up). Every time you try it though make sure you completely remove the drivers before updating the bios and installing from scratch.

In the end I'm using an audigy 2, too bad but oh well.

2 GB OCZ Platinum DDR500 Ram
    Thermaltake Armor Case
    Silverstone 750w PSU
    Water Cooled w/ Storm, NV78SLI, 2x120mm rad, MP655 pump, Alphacool Cape 25cm res
    Last edited by Zillatech; 25-07-2006 at 05:24 AM.

Thanks

Update:

I just got off the phone with ASUS tech support and they didn't have any answers. They said they had not heard of any specific problems like this and that all I could do was make sure I have the latest drivers, BIOS updates, etc. (for Motherboard, Sound Card) which I do.

It's looking more and more like Creative is @ fault but I am waiting to hear back from their technical support (e-mail only) which totally sucks

Thanks
    2nd Update:

Ok, one of Creative's Senior techs said that he had the exact same problem and sent me the following link to a knowledge base article on how to "Completely Remove" or "Clean Sweep" Creative Sound Blaster audio cards from the system "before" attempting to reinstall or update the drivers to the lastest if you are having problems.

Clean Sweep / Un-install Creative Audio Cards

I was advised to do this and then try reinstalling from the Orginal Installation CD followed by immeadiately updating the Creative software with the latest driver/software patch.

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic, Platinum and Fatal1ty Driver with OpenAL support 2.09.0001

The difference being that the "clean sweep" method removes any and all traces of the original software installation.

I will post back after I have tried this to report the results.

Thanks

~ Problem Solved ~

It turns out that moving the X-Fi sound card to the first PCI slot solves the problem. I was using the 2nd PCI Slot in the ASUS A8N5X Motherboard before and when I moved it up one slot the sound worked everytime after that.

I did go through all the steps suggested by Creative prior to moving the card and the problem was still there so I moved the Card to PCI Slot 1 and "BAM" ~ Problem solved

Thread Information