Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 33 to 48 of 58

Thread: News - abit exits mainboard market - confirmed

  1. #33
    HEXUS.social member Agent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    19,183
    Thanks
    738
    Thanked
    1,613 times in 1,049 posts

    Re: News - abit exits mainboard market - confirmed

    Quote Originally Posted by staffsMike View Post
    I've never really had a problem with them, but never really overclocked before core 2..
    Lets be honest though - to cock up a Core2 board with an Intel chipset, you really would have to try

    One of the big things I like about Intel is that their chipsets have been solid for as long as I can remember
    Last edited by Agent; 30-08-2008 at 12:24 AM. Reason: typos
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

  2. #34
    Get in the van. Fraz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    2,919
    Thanks
    284
    Thanked
    397 times in 231 posts
    • Fraz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X58A-UD5
      • CPU:
      • Watercooled i7-980X @ 4.2 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 24GB Crucial DDR3-1333
      • Storage:
      • 240 GB Vertex2E + 2 TB of Disk
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Water-cooled Sapphire 7970 @ 1175/1625
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Modu87+
      • Case:
      • Corsair 700D
      • Operating System:
      • Linux Mint 12 / Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 30" 3008WFP and two Dell 24" 2412M
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60 Mbps

    Re: News - abit exits mainboard market - confirmed

    Noooooooooooooooo! It's madness! Abit is the only mobo manufacturer I totally trust!

    Guess I'll have to start getting my head around ASUS's retarded mobo naming schemes

  3. #35
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    75
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: News - abit exits mainboard market - confirmed

    I am truly sorry to hear this. My first PC build incorporated Abit's AX5 motherboard (based on Intel's 430TX chipset). Even though I made the switch to ASUS motherboards 7 years ago I will always remember the legendary BX6 board from Abit also.

    It dropped in '98 and used the immortal 440BX chipset (now I know everyone remembers that one!). They'll be missed by this gearhead.
    A man must have code -Bunk

  4. #36
    mutantbass head Lee H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    M28, Manchester
    Posts
    14,204
    Thanks
    337
    Thanked
    671 times in 580 posts
    • Lee H's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Carbon Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 8700K Unlocked CPU
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 LPX
      • Storage:
      • 250GB 960 EVO + a few more drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6GB Palit GTX 1060 Dual
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750W Modular Blue
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus MX279H & 24" Acer 3D GD245HQ + the 3D glasses
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media

    Re: News - abit exits mainboard market - confirmed

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    One of the big things I like about Intel is that their chipsets have been solid for as long as I can remember
    Really ?

    Even their own developers are blogging about how they have issues with their G45 chipset and how they are trying to get it working correctly and this can be seen at the following link ;

    http://softwareblogs.intel.com/2008/...ill-imperfect/

    So... it looks like I'm moving to either DFI or even foxconn on my new build if there is no Abit to use now for my intended upgrade plan.

  5. #37
    VTECmeous Vimeous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,006
    Thanks
    62
    Thanked
    52 times in 51 posts

    Re: News - abit exits mainboard market - confirmed

    Quote Originally Posted by ddg4005 View Post
    I am truly sorry to hear this. My first PC build incorporated Abit's AX5 motherboard (based on Intel's 430TX chipset). Even though I made the switch to ASUS motherboards 7 years ago I will always remember the legendary BX6 board from Abit also.

    It dropped in '98 and used the immortal 440BX chipset (now I know everyone remembers that one!). They'll be missed by this gearhead.
    The BX6 is indeed the stuff of legend and deservedly so.
    It's a great shame to see abit leave the arena as they do produce some great products, with or without the frills. They have always been #2 on my shopping list behind ASUS and usually lost out because I'm fussy over features and ASUS are usually the only manufacturer who have the combination to meet my needs.

    Of course this does mean there should be some superb bargains as the year draws to a close and if they will genuinely still provide 3yr support now could be just the right time to build an abit-based system!


    Regarding ASUS.
    The only issues I've ever had with their motherboards have been self-inflicted. I currently have 3 ASUS-based PC's and have built more than double that over the years and all are still running strong. I even managed to cook one of the USB controllers on one old board (literally) and yet the rest of the board still runs happily.
    Yes I've not dealt with ASUS returns but I hope to have bought a quality product that will not require that service.

    MSI are the only manufacturer I've been forced to RMA. The dealer was great but I believe MSI should never have released the board in the first place as it was far too flakey.

    So many have purchased Abit and had so few issues I had no problems recommending Abit kit to any prospective purchaser. It's sad to see them go.
    Vimeous : i7 7700K | 16Gb | ASUS Strix Z270G | GTX1080 | 960 EVO 500GB NVMe | 850 EVO 500GB | TX650W | NZXT S340 Elite | Dell U2713H + 17" | 10 Pro
    Willowin : i7 3570K | 16Gb | ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe | GTX 660 TI | 2x 1TB 840EVO | Sugo SG05BB-450 | Dell U2713H + 17" | 8.1 Pro
    Svr : X2 4200+ | 2Gb | ASUS A8N-SLI Premium | HD6870 | SonicFury | 8x 250Gb (2x RAID10) | 3Ware 9650SE-8LPML | Seasonic 700W | CM Stacker 830 | XP Pro
    NAS : DS1511+ | DX513
    W : Dell Precision T3610 | E5-1650 V2 | 16GB | Quadro K2000 | 256GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 8.1 Pro | 2x Dell U2515H


  6. #38
    Anti-Viral Pleiades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Amongst barbarians
    Posts
    959
    Thanks
    1,839
    Thanked
    62 times in 50 posts
    • Pleiades's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z-97 Gaming 5
      • CPU:
      • 4690K @ 4GHz / Phanteks TC-12DX
      • Memory:
      • 16 GiB HyperX
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk 480GiB; Transcend M.2 256GiB; Velociraptor 300GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GiB
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Straight Power 800w
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster HAF932
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 31.5" WQHD 144Hz; Samsung 49" 9500 HDR UHD TV
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100 Mibs

    Exclamation Re: News - abit exits mainboard market - confirmed

    Wow, only 3 months on from its 'No plans to exit motherboard market' denial :-(
    ------------------

    Valar Morghulis

  7. #39
    Now with added sobriety Rave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SE London
    Posts
    9,948
    Thanks
    501
    Thanked
    399 times in 255 posts

    Re: News - abit exits mainboard market - confirmed

    I've heard this story several times over the years. Here's hoping it isn't true this time either.

  8. #40
    Admin (Ret'd)
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    18,481
    Thanks
    1,016
    Thanked
    3,208 times in 2,281 posts

    Re: News - abit exits mainboard market - confirmed

    Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post
    I've heard this story several times over the years. Here's hoping it isn't true this time either.
    Given this post, that would seem to be a forlorn hope.

  9. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    679
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked
    43 times in 43 posts

    Re: News - abit exits mainboard market - confirmed

    It is true, places like scan are out of stock on most boards and they have not released any P45 boards.

  10. #42
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    6 times in 1 post
    • Vice's system
      • Motherboard:
      • EVGA 680i
      • CPU:
      • QX6700
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Dominator
      • Storage:
      • 4TB NAS + 1TB onboard
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX260's in SLI
      • PSU:
      • 900Watt Tagan
      • Case:
      • Akasa 62 Eclipse
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate x64 / Leopard
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 30" + 2x20" Dells
      • Internet:
      • 20Mb Virgin Media

    Re: News - abit exits mainboard market - confirmed

    Sad to see abit exit the market. They made some really great low-cost boards and definitely had a good standing among budget conscious enthusiasts.

  11. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    301
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked
    13 times in 12 posts
    • Fornowagain's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GA58-Extreme
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 940 @ 4Ghz - HTx8!!!!
      • Memory:
      • 6Gb Corsair @ 1800MHz
      • Storage:
      • Raptors
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Water cooled 4870X2
      • PSU:
      • PCP&C 750W
      • Case:
      • Mozart
      • Operating System:
      • W 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24"

    Re: News - abit exits mainboard market - confirmed

    Aww that sucks, my favourite board oem damn.

  12. #44
    Resident abit mourner BUFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Sunny Glasgow
    Posts
    8,067
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked
    181 times in 171 posts

    Re: News - abit exits mainboard market - confirmed

    Quote Originally Posted by mrt9888 View Post
    It is true, places like scan are out of stock on most boards and they have not released any P45 boards.
    I've just checked through SCAN's mobo listings & not 1 of their abit listings is out of stock.
    IP43 is in stock & IP45 should be forthcoming as I've no doubt that the chipsets were ordered if not already delivered.

    What's interesting is that even a day later no other website has anymore info of their own - they all point back to Hexus.
    That strikes me as odd given all the industry contacts that they must have.

    MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

    My HEXUS.trust abit forums

  13. #45
    finding nemo staffsMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,498
    Thanks
    197
    Thanked
    794 times in 741 posts
    • staffsMike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • evga 680i
      • CPU:
      • e6600
      • Memory:
      • geil ultra pc6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • ocz gameXstream 700w
      • Case:
      • akasa eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • dell 2007wfp and Lg L194WT
      • Internet:
      • pipex homecall

    Re: News - abit exits mainboard market - confirmed

    I might say farewell to Abit with a P45 although that DFI uATX P45 is what I really want.

  14. #46
    Lover & Fighter Blitzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Between Your Mum & Sister
    Posts
    6,310
    Thanks
    539
    Thanked
    382 times in 300 posts
    • Blitzen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Intel Quad Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz : 30 Degrees Idle - 41-46 Degrees Load
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 1GB OCZ Platinum PC6400 @ 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500GB Samsung Spinpoints - RAID 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 285
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU 82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic Q22wb 22" Widescreen - 5ms
      • Internet:
      • O2 premium @ 17mb

    Re: News - abit exits mainboard market - confirmed

    Quote Originally Posted by Brewster0101 View Post
    Problem with ABIt was their mid to high end boards were over prices for what they were. Yes their high end boards were good, but no better than other makers high end boards.

    Money is made in the mid and low end market and Abit's boards were generally uninteresting or special.

    So who's next to go.... DFI perhaps?
    No they werent.
    If anything, their mid/high end boards were cheaper.


    On another note, at least that means Fatality will have to work for a living.

  15. #47
    Long Time Lurker
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Posts
    396
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked
    23 times in 21 posts

    Re: News - abit exits mainboard market - confirmed


    My abit nf7-s is still serving me proud. Oh well... guess we'll have to put up with imported junk from foxconn...

    my money is on nvidia dropping out next, via is gone.

  16. #48
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: News - abit exits mainboard market - confirmed

    Quote Originally Posted by Vimeous View Post
    The BX6 is indeed the stuff of legend and deservedly so.
    It's a great shame to see abit leave the arena as they do produce some great products, with or without the frills. They have always been #2 on my shopping list behind ASUS and usually lost out because I'm fussy over features and ASUS are usually the only manufacturer who have the combination to meet my needs.

    Of course this does mean there should be some superb bargains as the year draws to a close and if they will genuinely still provide 3yr support now could be just the right time to build an abit-based system!


    Regarding ASUS.
    The only issues I've ever had with their motherboards have been self-inflicted. I currently have 3 ASUS-based PC's and have built more than double that over the years and all are still running strong. I even managed to cook one of the USB controllers on one old board (literally) and yet the rest of the board still runs happily.
    Yes I've not dealt with ASUS returns but I hope to have bought a quality product that will not require that service.

    MSI are the only manufacturer I've been forced to RMA. The dealer was great but I believe MSI should never have released the board in the first place as it was far too flakey.

    So many have purchased Abit and had so few issues I had no problems recommending Abit kit to any prospective purchaser. It's sad to see them go.
    Then you might remember BP6 as well, it was the first (and only) dual s370 MB.
    I just checked wikipedia and luckily "The BP6 and BH6 motherboards are largely credited to the engineer Oskar Wu, who now works for DFI, a competing motherboard manufacturer."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-09-2008, 12:25 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-08-2008, 10:42 AM
  3. Abit to phase out of motherboard market.
    By Azza in forum abit.care@HEXUS
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 29-05-2008, 08:20 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-11-2007, 10:31 AM
  5. Plextor exits from consumer ODD market
    By BUFF in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 23-01-2007, 11:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •