Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reviews - (PES 2009) Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 - Xbox 360

Banned
    Thanks

Re: Reviews - (PES 2009) Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 - Xbox 360

Well you could just say 'everyone who agrees that PES is more fun is a prick', as indeed you did... it wouldn't really mean anything, but well done anyway.

My definition of more fun - its more fun.

Nothing backhanded about that.

a scumbag, arghhhh
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
    Well you could just say 'everyone who agrees that PES is more fun is a prick', as indeed you did... it wouldn't really mean anything, but well done anyway.

My definition of more fun - its more fun.

Nothing backhanded about that.
    yes because a term like fun definitely doesn't require further elaboration and it certainly doesn't carry a host of semiotic baggage.

I'd also take issue that I said everyone who agrees PES is more fun is a prick, for a start I'd need to know their criteria for 'fun', if someone said they think PES is more realistic I'd not so much think them a prick as ponder the lead content in their tap water.
    "The less you eat, drink and buy books; the less you go to the theatre, the dance hall, the public house; the less you think, love, theorise, sing, paint, fence, etc., the more you save – the greater becomes your treasure which neither moths nor rust will devour – your capital. The less you are, the less you express your own life, the more you have, the greater is your alienated life, the greater is the store of your estranged being." Karl Marx

Thanks
    • Andy3536's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-880GMA
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95w @3.8
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1T WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 4870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750
      • Case:
      • Antec P-182

Quote Originally Posted by revol68 View Post
    Except most people (y'know the thousands of PES gamers who have switched game) and reviewers don't say Pro Evo's gameplay is better. The IGN review might say it's more fun but IGN are contempable pricks who gave last years crap a artificially high score because it had it's name all over it, further more 'fun' is a vague term and can often be backhanded compliment, with it often being juxtaposed to depth, seriousness, longevity or classic status. I mean a 0-0 game of FIFA 09 between Chelsea and Milan might not be immediately fun, infact it can be grinding, it does however have a deeper reward when you eventually find a means to breakthrough, as the old Pro Evo games did when FIFA was about instant gratification through 35 yard screamers and 50 yard mazey runs.
    The 2009 demo certainly doesn't give you the oportunity to do a 50 yard run and 35 yard screamers have never been easy for me in pro evo.
    I do though play at the highest level, and do very well.
    Mabee you were playing on easy, or didn't play 09 at all?

Have you not played the demo?

The demo never gives the full story, ever.
    The first impressions were though that the gamplay was good and the AI was massivly improved over last years pro evo.
    (delibratly not comparing it with fifa, leave it there. I'm tired!)

a scumbag, arghhhh
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andy3536 View Post
    The 2009 demo certainly doesn't give you the oportunity to do a 50 yard run and 35 yard screamers have never been easy for me in pro evo.
    I do though play at the highest level, and do very well.
    Mabee you were playing on easy, or didn't play 09 at all?

The demo never gives the full story, ever.
    The first impressions were though that the gamplay was good and the AI was massivly improved over last years pro evo.
    (delibratly not comparing it with fifa, leave it there. I'm tired!)
    I wasn't saying PES2009 allowed that, I was simply saying that the effort required to score in the new FIFA gives the same pay off that the old PES games had when FIFA was a 9 goals a match mess.

I played PES2009 on top player (as I've played all Pro Evo games) and it was much easier to create chances and score than on FIFA 09 at even Professional. The demo is annoying in the extreme as after a stupidly short game you are forced to watch a video of all it's features it's stole off FIFA.
    "The less you eat, drink and buy books; the less you go to the theatre, the dance hall, the public house; the less you think, love, theorise, sing, paint, fence, etc., the more you save – the greater becomes your treasure which neither moths nor rust will devour – your capital. The less you are, the less you express your own life, the more you have, the greater is your alienated life, the greater is the store of your estranged being." Karl Marx

Thanks
    • Andy3536's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-880GMA
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95w @3.8
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1T WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 4870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750
      • Case:
      • Antec P-182

I wasn't saying PES2009 allowed that, I was simply saying that the effort required to score in the new FIFA gives the same pay off that the old PES games had when FIFA was a 9 goals a match mess.

I played PES2009 on top player (as I've played all Pro Evo games) and it was much easier to create chances and score than on FIFA 09 at even Professional. The demo is annoying in the extreme as after a stupidly short game you are forced to watch a video of all it's features it's stole off FIFA.
    If you play the PC demo (it's best format) you can have a patch and do a 20 min game then just control alt delete for the vid. Thats what i was doing

Banned
    Thanks

The demo is annoying in the extreme as after a stupidly short game you are forced to watch a video of all it's features it's stole off FIFA.
    Isn't the Pro Evo demo slightly longer than the FIFA demo? And you can very quickly reload the game in less time than it takes to watch the video.

As for the 'stole off FIFA', this isn't a playground, don't go back into angry teenager mode.

'u stoled it' is not a point that needs raising in a discussion about these 2 games. Who is going to buy or not buy PES or FIFA because some of the features might have been nicked from another dev team?

Who cares.

I have to agree with Andy, for some reason you sound like you made FIFA yourself, and are trying to protect it. The thing is, you don't realise that by being so obviously biased, all you do is devalue your own opinions in everyone elses eyes, because who will listen to the opinion of an angry, biased teenager?

Calm down, be objective, stop protecting FIFA like its your baby, and maybe we will get somewhere.

There's a good chap.

Thanks
    • j.o.s.h.1408's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6T Delux
      • CPU:
      • Intel core i7 920 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • 3GB DDR RAM
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung F1, 500GB Seagate baracuda + 320gb Seagate PATA +150GB WD PATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 480GTX SC edition
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 600W Module PSU FTW
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A7010B (the rolls royce of pc cases)
      • Operating System:
      • vista ultimate edition and windows xp
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22inch 2005FPW dell monitor
      • Internet:
      • 24mb BE There Broadband

LOL here we go again. glad im not involved in this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
    Josh, mate, will you please stop being a child and stop trying to 'win' the argument.

I've every respect for Steven, but he is not the gaming God, his word is not law, and it doesn't sum anything up nicely. Its just his opinion.

I know you only came in here so you could say 'PES is not as good as FIFA' and were looking for any excuse from Stevens review to say it, so how about this quote from the IGN review of PES - 'there’s no doubting that PES 2009 is the most fun football game on the market.'

Whats that IGN? PES is the most fun? Exactly what I was saying in previous threads?

Sums that up nicely then doesn't it.

Josh - instead of trying to say 'I was right' at every chance, maybe you could try saying why as well. Just a thought. I know usually you've caused a massive argument by calling everyone who doesn't agree with you a fan boy by now, but still.

Good review Steven, a little FIFA biased of course, but good none the less. I only skimmed it so couldn't tell, did you actually point out that PES is far more fun to play than FIFA in your review, or don't you agree with that?
    You're right Stewart! Remember all, it's just my opinion.

I did manage to actually get a game online last night, something which I couldn't do before the review as they hadn't opened the servers - it was horrid. How can Call of Duty beta have no lag, yet PES has horrific lag with 1 vs 1?

I turned it off after three lag-full games to play FIFA.

Maybe the servers will steady out after the launch.

Thanks
    • j.o.s.h.1408's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6T Delux
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 3GB DDR RAM
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 480GTX SC edition
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Steven W View Post
    You're right Stewart! Remember all, it's just my opinion.

I did manage to actually get a game online last night, something which I couldn't do before the review as they hadn't opened the servers - it was horrid. How can Call of Duty beta have no lag, yet PES has horrific lag with 1 vs 1?

I turned it off after three lag-full games to play FIFA.

Maybe the servers will steady out after the launch.
    shouldnt the servers be better now seeing as hardly ANYONE is on the servers? come launch, the servers will get hammered and i always thought that servers+loads of people = bad

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j.o.s.h.1408 View Post
    shouldnt the servers be better now seeing as hardly ANYONE is on the servers? come launch, the servers will get hammered and i always thought that servers+loads of people = bad
    I'm not sure, don't really know how it all works.

There were only around 30+ people online when I played. Around 14 in the UK server I was in. The guy I played with first of all thought it was ridiculous as well, it was practically unplayable.

We'll see for sure when it launches later this week. I'll hold onto it till then and give it another chance.

Thanks
    • j.o.s.h.1408's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6T Delux
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 3GB DDR RAM
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 480GTX SC edition
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Steven W View Post
    I'm not sure, don't really know how it all works.

There were only around 30+ people online when I played. Around 14 in the UK server I was in. The guy I played with first of all thought it was ridiculous as well, it was practically unplayable.

We'll see for sure when it launches later this week. I'll hold onto it till then and give it another chance.
    360 or pc version? im interested on the pc version. gameplay is not as good as fifa09 but its better then nothing on the pc front of things. best to wait and see what the lags like on the pc version because last year it was a total sham. Also is this a games for windows type game for the pc ie i can login and use my 360 LIVE account on it?

Thanks

I agree with Stewart here. Both are good games, but I don't play for realism. I play with my mates from time to time and want all out action and goals! I don't have the patience or time to build up to it or learn the game inside out, I just want to score and keep the game fun!

To that end, Stewart is right in saying that PES is more fun.

Thanks
    • j.o.s.h.1408's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6T Delux
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 3GB DDR RAM
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 480GTX SC edition
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

diddnt stew say he prefered fifa? my impression of fun is a sports game that is as close to the real thing has possible.

for me its no fun scoring loads of goals. its boring imo.

Plus PES use to be the most realistic game. i suppose the people who play games that are less realistic probably use to play fifa back in the ps2 days has that was far less realitsic then pes.
    Last edited by j.o.s.h.1408; 16-10-2008 at 11:53 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j.o.s.h.1408 View Post
    360 or pc version? im interested on the pc version. gameplay is not as good as fifa09 but its better then nothing on the pc front of things. best to wait and see what the lags like on the pc version because last year it was a total sham. Also is this a games for windows type game for the pc ie i can login and use my 360 LIVE account on it?
    Xbox 360

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information