• Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

Re: News - Windows 7 feature list hints at multiple editions

Quote Originally Posted by Funkstar View Post
    Surely MS would be criticized no matter what they do?
    Absolutely.

MS do good and bad things - but it's only the bad that attracts any attention. As for versions - i'm sure home premium will continue to be the default choice for us lot.
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Splash

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    Its the Driver Protection bit that cracks me up.

Basically they can say a big FU to NVidia and the like who cause so many BSODs with their drivers. Simple disable them.
    ...which the "power users" who "know what I'm doing" will then disable, just like UAC and there will be endless moaning about the OS taking power away from the users.

I don't agree (I have UAC running on my Vista boxes as I actually think it's a fantastic idea), but you know it'll happen.

Thanks

I don't think having more than 3 versions is a good idea. People want a simplifed choice of either home edition or professional and maybe a one for enterprise. Vista has too many versions. I have learnt my lesson with Vista and won't be buying an ultimate edition this time around as that was the biggest ripoff that MS have done to people so far.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Ultimate is only a rip-off if you buy it for the "Extras".....for a lot of people Ultimate was the only way to get MCE and domain access together.....although it still doesn't represent very good VFM.

A 50% mark-up, for essentially 1 extra feature, is a bit of a liberty.

What I'd like to see is just a core OS being sold, any extras are turned on and paid for online. You could then mix and match the features you want and make your own custom windows installation.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

But people don't want customisation - not really. It's only us geeks that fiddle around - joe public just wants it to do everything out of the box.

As an aside: Don't forget that the EU forces MS to to the 'N' versions of every edition too. Nobody buys them, so hurrah for that idea.
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Splash

Obviously the sale of a core OS, with most of the extras such as Remote Desktop, domain support, the Media Centre etc all being available as a paid extra is ideal for most home users but I'm not sure big business would go for it - in a corporate environment you want to be able to roll out your image to hundreds and possibly thousands of machines without having to faff around with activating extras on a per machine basis. That said, I'm sure there would be ways around this for corporate customers...

Registered+
    Thanks
    • RedFlames's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6T Deluxe v2
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920 @ 3.2
      • Memory:
      • 12GB [6x2GB] Corsair 1600MHz DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte nVidia GTX570
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 750W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • 8 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2412M
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb

Quote Originally Posted by dangel View Post
    As an aside: Don't forget that the EU forces MS to to the 'N' versions of every edition too. Nobody buys them, so hurrah for that idea.
    i've never seen anywhere sell them either...

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Won't that be unneccessary in Windows 7 if they've already cut out the Live services? (EU will think they did their job )

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Won't that be unneccessary in Windows 7 if they've already cut out the Live services? (EU will think they did their job )
    Well chiefly it's about media player - is that a download too now then?

Edit: no it's there.

See this for some new info on the UI: http://www.neowin.net/news/live/08/1...e-windows-7-ui
    Last edited by dangel; 28-10-2008 at 06:36 PM.

Thanks

I can't see any need for more than 4 versions of the OS, Enterprise, Buisiness, Standard for the average user and a Professional version for the users that want all that Microsoft has to offer (providing they actually offer something in the Pro version, my Vista Ultimate only provides a good way to waste money). All these extra versions really do is make things more confusing for the user and allow Microsoft to sell their OS at higher price points.

See this for some new info on the UI: http://www.neowin.net/news/live/08/1...e-windows-7-ui

I like the new enhancements / changes to the taskbar it looks like merging the taskbar and quicklaunch to give microsoft's take on a dock. The Jump lists and window preview look good aswell, good thing they did away with the sidebar as it was rubbish, the see through windows feature makes the gadgets a little more practical to use but I'd probably still not bother with them.

A few good new features but what I'm waiting to find out about W7 is whether it is subscription based or not and how much improvement has been made to system performance.

Thanks
    • lodore's system
      • Motherboard:
      • X570 AORUS MASTER
      • CPU:
      • Amd Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 2666 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Gigabyte AORUS 7000s SSD and sandisk 1tb sata 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080TI 11gb
      • PSU:
      • Ion+ 860W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 4000D AIRFLOW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 34inch ultra wide quad HD 144hz and 24inch asus HD
      • Internet:
      • 80Mbps Zen

i hate having so many different versions.
    couldnt you just have home and pro?
    pro would have everything that home has plus the business features.

tbh i want it be very modular. core OS and most stuff as optional. so a business would just deply and image with only the componants they needed. having media centre and windows media player as option componants would be great. i do like the fact there will be no mail program as default. so you have a choice to use a mail program from ms,another company or simply use webmail.

plus you could go further most people dont print over the internet but its installed in vista as default.
    not everyone has a tablet pc but tablet pc stuff is installed as default in vista.
    not everyone has a laptop so do people who use a desktop need mobility centre?

maybe when windows installs if it detects tablet functions then install the tablet stuff.
    if there isnt any plug and play drivers when you install the third party drivers it could ask you to stick in windows 7 dvd and install tablet stuff?

same for mobility centre,bluetooth etc.

it would be nice if once windows installed it could remove unneeded drivers,lanuage packs etc.

a different but useful example : my HP printer/scanner has a screen on the device showing ink levels, change ink scan etc without using the pc so why do i need 5 hp processes running all the time?

why cant all major companies send microsoft basic drivers for printers,scanners,graphics cards, sound network etc once a month? that would mean you would need to hunt around the internet for drivers. plus surely microsoft could make sure the drivers are as stable as possible. plus you wouldnt need to install the bloated driver software packages.
    Last edited by lodore; 28-10-2008 at 09:57 PM.

Thanks
    • Stringent's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DQ57TM
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA Geforce 260GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Centurion
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Iiyama 24"
      • Internet:
      • Patchy

They should take the Linux route. 1 version, install what you want (packages), but have presets for 'home' and 'business' environments, so the common items will be installed. Like Domain support for business, Media Center for Home.

Thanks
    • lodore's system
      • Motherboard:
      • X570 AORUS MASTER
      • CPU:
      • Amd Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 2666 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Gigabyte AORUS 7000s SSD and sandisk 1tb sata 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080TI 11gb
      • PSU:
      • Ion+ 860W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 4000D AIRFLOW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 34inch ultra wide quad HD 144hz and 24inch asus HD
      • Internet:
      • 80Mbps Zen

Quote Originally Posted by Stringent View Post
    They should take the Linux route. 1 version, install what you want (packages), but have presets for 'home' and 'business' environments, so the common items will be installed. Like Domain support for business, Media Center for Home.
    very good idea.

Thanks
    • jackvdbuk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AbiT IP35-PRO
      • CPU:
      • Intel C2Q Q9550
      • Memory:
      • OCZ Nvidia SLi Edition 4GB (2x2gb) pc2-6400 DDR2
      • Storage:
      • lots of TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800GTS 512MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 800D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Premium x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WFP
      • Internet:
      • Orange (about 6Mb)

but that way makes less money?

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

Quote Originally Posted by Tidus View Post
    I like the new enhancements / changes to the taskbar it looks like merging the taskbar and quicklaunch to give microsoft's take on a dock. The Jump lists and window preview look good aswell, good thing they did away with the sidebar as it was rubbish, the see through windows feature makes the gadgets a little more practical to use but I'd probably still not bother with them.
    I like the sidebar - it sits on a second monitor and helpfully organises my gadgets. Take gadgets off it and they get (in general) larger too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tidus View Post
    A few good new features but what I'm waiting to find out about W7 is whether it is subscription based or not and how much improvement has been made to system performance.
    Reports are that performance is good (i.e. better). I haven't heard anything about sub. based stuff (and i'm not really interested in that anyway tbh).

Quote Originally Posted by lodore View Post
    why cant all major companies send microsoft basic drivers for printers,scanners,graphics cards, sound network etc once a month? that would mean you would need to hunt around the internet for drivers. plus surely microsoft could make sure the drivers are as stable as possible. plus you wouldnt need to install the bloated driver software packages.
    That's kinda what the WHQL program is supposed to do - but that costs money (to get your drivers certified). MS run an open platform (compared to apple's limited hardware set) and so there's never going to be a 'right' solution.

That's really what they do already - hence a single install DVD for Vista: you pick your version and the 'preset' package (basic/ult/premium etc) is deployed. MS have been pushing for more modularity for a long time and they're getting there.

Thanks

My god could it really be so simple

Why on earth are MS wanting to repeat the mistakes made when launching vista.... (by the way there are a lot more than 6 versions, when you take the whole 32/64bit drama into the equation). The marketing people at MS need beating around the head until they relaise such stunts just breed confusion, contempt and despair in their customers.

I would suggest no more than a couple of versions, afterall they want an ultimate to cream money, and business will want to pay the least it can for the best product that is roughly tailored to their needs. So that realisticly leaves us with 3 versions... Home, Business and Ultimate (personally I think thats at least 1 too many variations).

Now with all 3 versions you put different defaults in the setup... Full install, minimum install, HTPC, custom for example.... Hey go hog wild and 15 different install flavours if you want MS, just make it when we walk into the shop (onto the net) its a simple choice to find the obvious version for our needs!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information