Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: News - PS3 backwards compatibility gone for good

Thanks

Re: News - PS3 backwards compatibility gone for good

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyV9 View Post
    The thing that really puts me off Sony with them dropping the ability to play PS2 games is they are really charging you a lot of money.

Every time you upgrade you are spending nearly £300. That is an upgrade that takes away ability to play old titles and leaves you new titles that does not make the most of your hardware.

And even then you have to think of Peripherals. Before it was just a case of buying one console and that was it.
    When you say "before", what do you mean? If anything, the PS3 has very few extras compared to the PS2 and PS before it, and to some extent the 360 too. There's no need for memory cards, there's no need for multitaps, there's no need to buy rechargeable battery kits for controllers or wireless network adapters. Seems sorted to me.

As for charging a lot of money, they're charging you a lot of money to get the most out of current games, not old ones. Don't get me wrong, if backwards compatibility was somehow reintroduced (not that it ever will be) I wouldn't complain, but the fact it isn't there doesn't really bother me. I have a working PS2 that I can use occasionally if I feel like it, but aside from my MGS marathon several months back, it spends most of its life packed away now. I bought the PS3 for PS3 games, not PS2 games. Similarly, Sony want PS3 owners buying new PS3 games, not playing their old PS2 games or buying pre-owned PS2 games.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheVoice View Post
    When you say "before", what do you mean? If anything, the PS3 has very few extras compared to the PS2 and PS before it, and to some extent the 360 too. There's no need for memory cards, there's no need for multitaps, there's no need to buy rechargeable battery kits for controllers or wireless network adapters. Seems sorted to me.

As for charging a lot of money, they're charging you a lot of money to get the most out of current games, not old ones. Don't get me wrong, if backwards compatibility was somehow reintroduced (not that it ever will be) I wouldn't complain, but the fact it isn't there doesn't really bother me. I have a working PS2 that I can use occasionally if I feel like it, but aside from my MGS marathon several months back, it spends most of its life packed away now. I bought the PS3 for PS3 games, not PS2 games. Similarly, Sony want PS3 owners buying new PS3 games, not playing their old PS2 games or buying pre-owned PS2 games.
    Yeah, I suppose I agree with extras now you pointed that out. You do not need them. You have rock band and NATAL. Actually that is not PS3

I think that beeing able to play PS2 is not that big a deal. But it is like they got cheeky and "Upgraded" the PS3 hardware. And with this "Upgrade" you loose the ability to play a lot of games. I guess I am thinking along PC lines. The thought of upgading my PC the new improved hardware says "Much better, Now you have just lost the ability to play a lot of games" Made me think screw that.

I know that is probably the wrong way to look at it.

Although I have not got a PS3, I nearly did, but choose the 360 purley for being cheaper. And the ability to catch up on PS2 gmes I never played was a big factor in me buying a PS3 if I had the money at the time.
    Not only that, but some people don't want loads of consoles when they could just have one neat box to do it.

But looking at Sony's tactics it leaves me on a downer.
    They have some great titles they have nabbed as exclusives as a selling point for their console.
    Not only that, I bet you would be surprised at how many people will sell their old PS3 for the new improved machine.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyV9 View Post
    But looking at Sony's tactics it leaves me on a downer.
    They have some great titles they have nabbed as exclusives as a selling point for their console.
    Not only that, I bet you would be surprised at how many people will sell their old PS3 for the new improved machine.
    So MS haven't nabbed any exclusives as a selling point for their console? So GTA4, on something other than a Sony console, got exclusive DLC for the 360, but you seem to forget that they nabbed this off of Sony. If anything, this generation Sony have lost some of their biggest exclusives, GTA, FFXIII, Star Ocean and the new MGS to name but a few.

So what titles have Sony nabbed then?

Only idiots upgrade consoles for the sake of it. But i'm not an idiot and will keep my 60Gb model. ooh look its got BC, have i ever used it? Nope. Will i ever use it? Nope.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information