Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: QOTW: Will your next car be electric?

Thanks
    • 1stRaven's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VIII Hero
      • CPU:
      • I7 6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Corsair DDR4 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung Evo 850 M.2, 2 x Samsung EVO 850 500Gb, Seagate 3tb HDD, 24Tb Unraid Server
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x PNY GTX 1080 FE
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Be-Quiet Dark Pro 900 Silver
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 22" and 1 x Dell U2913WM
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 150Mb

Re: QOTW: Will your next car be electric?

Quote Originally Posted by tomthum View Post
    what happens in 3/5yrs when the batteries pack up you will have to spend £3000/4000 on batteries I don't think so
    Most electric cars are offering 8 years warranty on the battery packs, with limit of the degradation that you will see. There are leaf's down in cornwall who have done over 100k and have just lost 10% of the battery pack's capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by neonplanet40 View Post
    Now, IF the government was to offer some incentives to make the initial cost cheaper I COULD change my mind. But they haven't. So I think we are still years away from these cars becoming the norm. MUCH needs to change beforehand including the amount of disposable income people can call upon.
    They do. £5000 off the price of the car plus £500 towards your charge point at home. Nissan will also help with this if you do for the leaf so you can have the basic charge point fitted for free, or the upgraded one fitted for £95.

Thanks

I was asked about this when defending my PhD thesis last year. The examiners were both well respected researchers in mechanical engineering. My answer was that the electric car doesn't have the infrastructure, and the national grid isn't ready for the energy usage to be transferred onto it. Environmentally electric cars are really not much better than a modern petrol engine, and emissions are not the only factor. Electric cars also use materials that are more scarce than anything used in an ICE car, the majority of which are non-renewable and non-recyclable. Then looking forwards, the pace of development of the electric car product has been rapid, but the underlying technologies haven't really developed much. In contrast the internal combustion engine and its fuels have developed slowly for decades until recently, but recent improvements in understanding of the combustion processes involved has accelerated this. Engine technology, such as CAI engines, downsizing even further with greater specific output and alternative fuels such as synthetics, is developing faster than the electric car technology.

Funnily enough the examiners agreed.

At the moment I think I'll stay with the internal combustion engine. Preferably with an energy harvesting system for energy that is otherwise wasted during braking, and an electric motor to put that energy to better use. I don't know if we'll be using petrol as a fuel in the long term, or a synthetic that doesn't use any/as much fossil fuel, but diesel looks set to die out. Lubricants should be changing in their formulation due to their influence on knock, especially in turbo charged engines.
    Last edited by r4nd0m1st; 27-08-2017 at 04:37 PM. Reason: forgot something

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by r4nd0m1st View Post
    Environmentally electric cars are really not much better than a modern petrol engine, and emissions are not the only factor. Electric cars also use materials that are more scarce than anything used in an ICE car, the majority of which are non-renewable and non-recyclable.
    The only things that might contain 'exotic' materials are the permanent magnets in motors and the lithium in the batteries - both of which could be recycled - it just needs the investment in recycling facilities.

The advantage of rechargeable batteries is the ease of distribution of electricity, hydrogen (for fuel cells or IC) needs to be transported.

I'd agree that the UKs installed electrical generation capacity and Nation Grid infrastruction neefs improving, but it is claimed that there are plans to do that anyway. Other technologies that would allow charging when other demand is low might be used to even out the load - or electricity pricing incentives at times of surplus supply.

From a Government PoV the question is how to replace the revenue raised from fuel duty and VAT.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • The Hand's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AB350 Gaming-3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200mhz (8GBx2)
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Kingston SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Geforce RTX 2060 Super 8GB Dual Series
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520 Modular
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Praetorian
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Sony 32 inch HD TV
      • Internet:
      • 20Mbps Fibre

Most likely a hybrid for me. By the time it needs replacing, the infrastructure for electric should be well established.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Hand View Post
    Most likely a hybrid for me. By the time it needs replacing, the infrastructure for electric should be well established.
    Problem with hybrid is that you lose the advantage of simpler maintenance and you increase complexity and mass with a more complex drive train and add the mass of the traction battery. Hybrids don't seem to offer much in the way of i improved economy for the additional expense.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    The only things that might contain 'exotic' materials are the permanent magnets in motors and the lithium in the batteries - both of which could be recycled - it just needs the investment in recycling facilities.
    Lithium is expensive now, because of the high demand, but it isn't rare. It's only in the last couple of decades that there has been real demand, and as a result the supply side hasn't caught up. It will, probably within the next couple of years, and prices will tumble. This means that recycling batteries for lithium is unlikely to be of long term financial benefit. Cobalt, on the other hand, could be a good target for recycling, as the supply chain is incredibly dubious and from unfriendly countries with child labour, etc. Tesla is forecast to use 6% of the worlds supply of cobalt each year.

I think we're supposed to distract everyone from thinking about children mining cobalt by talking about the future of graphene...

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1tb SP US75 Boot + Fast 4tb SP XS70 + Slow Raid 0 4tb (2tbx2) with 100gb NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

Isn't there talk of 'smart' car charging where the charge station could take the cars off charging for short periods during peaks.

I know there was an idea to do that with smart fridges/freezers that they shut off for a couple of minutes during peaks (ie the advert break in big soaps whern a load of kettles all get switched on).

Thanks
    • wazzickle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus H470M-itx
      • CPU:
      • i5 10500
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 HyperX Fury
      • Storage:
      • Barracuda 510 1TB M.2, WD Blue 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac 3070 Twin Edge
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SFX 600
      • Case:
      • Ghost S1 V2
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG IPS 27" 144Hz QHD
      • Internet:
      • three4g & nighthawk MR1100

Hopefully. Just bought a car a couple of months ago (64 plate) and as long as I treat this one right, I should have it for long enough before it becomes more economical to have an electric car, to which I'm really looking forward.

Thanks
    • 1stRaven's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VIII Hero
      • CPU:
      • I7 6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Corsair DDR4 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung Evo 850 M.2, 2 x Samsung EVO 850 500Gb, Seagate 3tb HDD, 24Tb Unraid Server
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x PNY GTX 1080 FE
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Be-Quiet Dark Pro 900 Silver
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 22" and 1 x Dell U2913WM
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 150Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Percy1983 View Post
    Isn't there talk of 'smart' car charging where the charge station could take the cars off charging for short periods during peaks.

I know there was an idea to do that with smart fridges/freezers that they shut off for a couple of minutes during peaks (ie the advert break in big soaps whern a load of kettles all get switched on).
    Better than that, they are looking into options where electric cars supply the local grid in times of peak demand. So you plug your car in when you get home and it can run your house during the evening demand and you don't have to pay for the peak time energy use. You then charge your car overnight, when electricity is cheap. It ends up saving you money on your energy bills. It just needs the clever box of tricks to allow for the switching of energy supplies at the house feed as well as cars that will allow electric to be pulled from the battery pack.

Registered+
    Thanks

I hope I will have the money to have a beautiful petrol one

Registered+
    Thanks

Nope

Miserable range: I get about 700Km/tank with an ICE

To slow to charge: No fast charge stations near me and it takes me too long to recharge at home, but gas stations are everywhere it takes me no longer than 5 min to fill my ICE car from empty

Too costly: ICE cars with the above mileage are available for a little as $20K CAN. Compare that to a Tesla S 100D for over $182.5K CAN YIKES!!
    /Cheers Cyberguy

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Fury559's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GA-Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • 3570k 4.5ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB 1866mhz
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
      • PSU:
      • EVGA P2 1000w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R4
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • XF270HU

Quote Originally Posted by 1stRaven View Post
    It already is. Picked up a 30Kwh in April this year, trading in my Jag XJL. It is costing me around £2 to charge it up and a charge is lasting around a week at the moment.

Cant understand why more people dont have them. The cost savings cover the cost of the car, to a point where I have a car with no mot, covered under warranty for around £100 per month.

Granted, longer journeys can take some planning but I have ended up borrowing a free car from Nissan for one holiday and renting another car for £100 for a week's holiday. Good chance to test drive other vehicles.
    Yeah but electric is boring

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1tb SP US75 Boot + Fast 4tb SP XS70 + Slow Raid 0 4tb (2tbx2) with 100gb NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

I will say from my point of view on range, when I think realistically I am not a road warrior and the range isn't an issue, I agree there will be some with long commutes etc which can be a different ball game.

From a driving point of view they are actually nice to drive, had a go in a leaf and the instant torque is amazing, you can get away quicker than any petrol car, of course it doesn't take long for a powerful petrol car to catch up and leave you for dust but off the line electric cars are unbeatable.

Thanks
    • Flibb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6300
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250G
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3GB MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr
      • PSU:
      • FSP
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Deffl TFT thing

Quote Originally Posted by 1stRaven View Post
    The deposit was £200 on that deal but over the last few years, offers have been around £200 - £800 for the deposit.
    Any pointers of where to look? Nearest I can get is About £2K up front (inc fee), then £150 a month based on 10K miles a year, I assume that its not one with battery hire. Just a shame there is no charging where my wife works, would be ideal for her.
    Last edited by Flibb; 28-08-2017 at 09:08 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kompukare View Post
    Isn't the best ICE around 25-30% efficient whereas an electric motor is closer to 100%?

And even a coal-fired power station should be able to achieve that kind of efficiency and being far bigger making a scrubbing the particle pollution more viable. Of course both assume a fairly modern plant so that might not apply to China. However, China is currently making the biggest investment in renewables and nuclear the world has ever seen.
    I've not looked into the efficiency of the competing technologies or China's investments in renewable energy so i can't comment on those, i only wanted to highlight how it's not a simple matter of EV's good, petrol bad, like most things is a complex picture.

Personally if i ruled the world, or even a country for that matter, I'd be pumping money into fusion reactors as we really need a environmentally friendly source of power and renewables simply can't provide all the power we need, sadly though investment in fusion research is so low it will probably take decades before we crack that nut.

Spreadie

Will my next car be electric?

No.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information