Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Thread: HEXUS.reviews :: Icy Box IB-350U-BL

Thanks
    Update: Maxtor drive works fine, i connected it directly to the PC via the IDE cable and detected and initialised with no problems. As soon as i put the drive back in the Icybox, same old problems again!

The Icybox is now on its way back to the supplier. Anyone know of any good alternatives?

Thanks
    Have Icybox firewire/usb2 only bought this year had "fw ver 2004.12.09.200"
    seemed to work OK on PC but problems with Mac 0S 10.3/4 stalls whole system requiring forced restart on GB size files.
    Been looking for answer for ages but read about current for different drives exceeding the 2A available with the provided brick (cant remember who mentioned this) and also noticed the rom upgrade rreadme talking about daisy chain problems. The mac is through hub (unpowered) while the PC is direct into a PCI card- now have tried plugging drive directly into the Mac PCI card and all works. From not being able to transfer a single file of any GB size to moving 4, now 6 big files. Looks good. will try using hub in powered mode next. Is it power supply or pass through in the hub??

Thanks
    I've been fiddling around with my Icybox 350 for quite a while now - over a year. When I first bought it, it refused to work with the old 20gig Western Digital harddrive I had spare. Sent the Icybox back to Scan, who said it was working fine and returned it to me

Next I tried the Icybox with a spare internal CD drive and it worked. Not a practical solution, but it was informative nevertheless.

Put the WD drive into my desktop, formatted it (FAT and subsequently NTFS), and tried it again. All possible jumper settings (8 experiments in all). Never worked once. USB or Firewire.

The hard drive has since been in the desktop for 11 months working fine. The WD hard-disk is not the problem.

Next tried a new Hitachi deskstar - worked a treat, but the disc was destined for my Netgear SC101 and had to be moved on.

Tried to flash the firmware - but you can't do that unless the Icybox contains an HD that works.

This is a suspect product in my opinion. I don't want to buy another HD just to try the firmware flash.

I would like to return it, but the time for that is long since past.

I'll probably bin it instead!!

ChrisH

Thanks
    a little feed back, since my friend bought it a while ago, its clumsy and the case can break very easily.

I did the same mistake not very happy with it, since it feels like the case is breaking any moment

Thanks
    I am trying to find a working circuit board for one of the Firewire and USB Icybox, as mine has given up the ghost 4 weeks after its year warranty expired.

If anyone has one I'm willing to pay a small amount

Thanks
    Right... I have had an Icy box for about 6 months now, put an old Maxtor 120GB hard drive in it with all the music I've amassed over the years. When I got it I just plugged into the USB, even though I have a powermac G4 which only had usb 1.1, it worked great. And then I bought a usb 2.0 PCI card for my mac, and it works on that too, but the pci cards is having some problems so I was thinking of plugging in the firewire... Then I saw this thread

Well, it works fine in usb 1.1 to stream all my music, so I don't think I'll bother lol. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Fred

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Thread Information