Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Coffee machine for an occasional user?

Thanks

Re: Coffee machine for an occasional user?

Ummm .... a bit of sublime, and a bit of ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    I think you'll find he was up to more like £1600. I want to know what coffee tastes like from such a beast!
    Well, the main machine was £1999. But I was (still kinda am) planning on a grinder too, but partly, don't need it yet, and partly, not available (limited production capability (*) ) at the moment. That was another £500.

Bear in mind that quite a chunk of the cost of that machine was about convenience, and the same money (or less) buys you manual machines that are capable of better results .... or much worse if not used well.

Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    I'm expecting that after months of research and comparison he'll give up and just buy a teapot.
    Well .... not quite. A Nespresso machine.

Okay, you can stop laughing. And yes, I'm serious. You too, Dances. I can see you.

Look, sniggers aside, I got a report from my water company and the water round here is so hard if you threw it at a window, you'd break the window. You don't need descaler, you need dynamite. And the notion of a clogged up, scaled up two thousand quid coffee machine makes me shudder.

A friend, a couple of miles away had two successive Gaggia machines, each of which lasted about 2 years.

I'm not sure I can be done with constant bottled water purchases, and all that plastic, just to feed a coffee machine.

So .... water filtration. There's a rather looking nice RO system (sorry, reverse osmosis) which, reputedly, removes about 99.9% of everything that isn't either the first H, the second H or the O. Which probably leaves it tasting bland and, by the way, means I might have dealt with the carbonate problem but now could have a machine-damaging alkalinity issue .... and bland tasting coffee. So I may need to find a chemical adition to add some acceptable mineral balance back in. Oh, and that's about £500, plus filters, etc.

Now, you can easily write what I know about water filtration on the pointy end of the world's sharpest pin. So I've enrolled on a degree course in water chemistry, with a minor in coffee brewing.

Okay, fibbing about the degree. You got me. What gave me away?

But seriously, I need some time to sort this through.

Meantime, I came across a deal that gets me a Nespresso Vertuo Plus, their Aero-thingy 4 milk doodad, some nice glass mugs, some chocolate and descaler. Oh, and about 800 capsules. Shoud be nearly £750 and the deal was a bit over £400, over 6 months (includes a coffee subscription for 6 months).

So I now have as long as it takes me to drink 800+ Nespresso coffees to sort out the filtration. And hope that grinder is back in stock by then.

(*) It's actually a kickstarter type thing on Indiegogo and it's not so much stock, as orders exceeding production, so they release a 'batch' of order slots, then make and ship, so until some new order slots come up
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks

after having tassimo a few years i got the nespresso and very pleased with it. it's cheaper than the tassimo pod wise. i've got a milk frother/heater gadget and the glass mugs, tiny expresso ones and bigger ones for normal drinking. they look nice with the milk/froth showing at the top like a pint of guinness. i still use both machines, this week making two coffees at once on each machine when i ran out of milk, so the milk pod coffee in the tassimo and coffee without milk on the nespresso that would be cool to drink by the time i finished the tassimo. i went through a fair amount of coffee when i got my nespresso with a large selection of different coffees, but being in lockdown was the main contributor to that. i'm never without a tea or coffee during "working" hours. been drinking up to 8 coffees a day when normally at home i'd have one a day, maybe two a day at weekends. i drink tea too, so going through about 50 pods a week was a lot. and i wasn't up all night as i'd stop coffee by about 5pm

Thanks
    • g8ina's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z75 Pro3
      • CPU:
      • Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair 1600MHz DDR3.
      • Storage:
      • 250GB SSD system, 250GB SSD Data + 2TB data, + 8TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD 6870
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 22"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100MB unlimited

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    Ummm .... a bit of sublime, and a bit of ridiculous.

Well, the main machine was £1999. But I was (still kinda am) planning on a grinder too, but partly, don't need it yet, and partly, not available (limited production capability (*) ) at the moment. That was another £500.

Bear in mind that quite a chunk of the cost of that machine was about convenience, and the same money (or less) buys you manual machines that are capable of better results .... or much worse if not used well.

Well .... not quite. A Nespresso machine.

Okay, you can stop laughing. And yes, I'm serious. You too, Dances. I can see you.

Look, sniggers aside, I got a report from my water company and the water round here is so hard if you threw it at a window, you'd break the window. You don't need descaler, you need dynamite. And the notion of a clogged up, scaled up two thousand quid coffee machine makes me shudder.

A friend, a couple of miles away had two successive Gaggia machines, each of which lasted about 2 years.

I'm not sure I can be done with constant bottled water purchases, and all that plastic, just to feed a coffee machine.

So .... water filtration. There's a rather looking nice RO system (sorry, reverse osmosis) which, reputedly, removes about 99.9% of everything that isn't either the first H, the second H or the O. Which probably leaves it tasting bland and, by the way, means I might have dealt with the carbonate problem but now could have a machine-damaging alkalinity issue .... and bland tasting coffee. So I may need to find a chemical adition to add some acceptable mineral balance back in. Oh, and that's about £500, plus filters, etc.

Now, you can easily write what I know about water filtration on the pointy end of the world's sharpest pin. So I've enrolled on a degree course in water chemistry, with a minor in coffee brewing.

Okay, fibbing about the degree. You got me. What gave me away?

But seriously, I need some time to sort this through.

Meantime, I came across a deal that gets me a Nespresso Vertuo Plus, their Aero-thingy 4 milk doodad, some nice glass mugs, some chocolate and descaler. Oh, and about 800 capsules. Shoud be nearly £750 and the deal was a bit over £400, over 6 months (includes a coffee subscription for 6 months).

So I now have as long as it takes me to drink 800+ Nespresso coffees to sort out the filtration. And hope that grinder is back in stock by then.

(*) It's actually a kickstarter type thing on Indiegogo and it's not so much stock, as orders exceeding production, so they release a 'batch' of order slots, then make and ship, so until some new order slots come up
    Nestlé ??????

Blocked in our house on ethical grounds (no pun intended !)
    Cheers, David

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by g8ina View Post
    Nestlé ??????
    'Fraid so, yeah.

I have to say, so far, customer service has been utterly superb.

I already had a very good deal (IMHO) and discovered a misunderstanding in the order. It had been changed slightly to effectively give me a free set of glass mugs, but the way it was done didn't give me the coffee selection I'd intended. So, they credited for the 40 pods I expected, but still sent the 40 I wasn't expecting. 40 free pods. Extremely fast, very polite, no quibble, just sort the problem.

I've often said it's not whether a mistake is made that's telling. It's what they do about it. And I can't fault them on that.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 35 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

Nice to see you have some progress, hope you enjoy your coffee!

Water around here is pretty hard, our glass shower cabinets are more like the cliffs of Dover after a few months than glass. Not got to three years yet with the DeLonghi, I know what you mean about it putting you off buying expensive things if they might clog up. So far I just descale thoroughly when the machine asks, and fingers crossed it has worked so far, and if my £180 machine last me 3 years then frankly £60 per year is acceptable.

Thanks
    • neonplanet40's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 2700X
      • Memory:
      • Patriot 16 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 256 Crucial MX100 +Kingston 256GB SSD and 500GB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit nVidia 1070Ti Rockgamer
      • PSU:
      • OCZ 650W
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse-32
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 27" U2715H & Dell 23" U2311H
      • Internet:
      • 60MB

So, thanks to this discussion, I decided to get a new machine. I have just ordered a Gaggia Magenta Plus. Hoping it was a sensible purchase.....
    Home Entertainment =Epson TW9400, Denon AVRX6300H, Panasonic DPUB450EBK 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray and Monitor Audio Silver RX 7.0, Monitor Audio CT265IDC(x4) Dolby Atmos and XTZ 12.17 Sub - (Config 7.1.4)
    My System=Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi, AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Patriot 16 GB DDR4 3200MHz, 256GB Crucial SSD, Kingston 256GB SSD and 500GB Samsung F3, Palit GTX1070 GameRock Edition , Enermax Liberty 620W, Akasa Eclipse-32,Dell 2715H & Dell U2311H
    Home Server 2/HTPC - Ryzen 5 3600, Asus Strix B450, 16GB Ram, EVGA GT1030 SC, 2x 2TB Cruscial SSD, Corsair TX550, Plex Server & Nvidia Shield Pro 4K
    Diskstation/HTPC - Synology DS1821+ 16GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 45TB & Synology DS1821+ 8GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 14TB
    Portable=Microsoft Surface Pro 4, Huawei M5 10" & HP Omen 15 laptop

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by g8ina View Post
    Cafétiere, home ground beans.
    Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    A man after my own heart

What beans are you on at the moment? I'm on Kenya AA from Waitrose now - superb!
    Same here.

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

Quote Originally Posted by neonplanet40 View Post
    So, thanks to this discussion, I decided to get a new machine. I have just ordered a Gaggia Magenta Plus. Hoping it was a sensible purchase.....
    Ooh, now that looks rather nice. But then I was never worried about sensible, I wanted nice coffee with minimum fuss and waste

Do let us know how you get on with it.

Thanks
    • Rob_B's system
      • Motherboard:
      • A320M-K
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 2600X
      • Memory:
      • 12GB @ 2800mhz
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 1070 Armor OC
      • PSU:
      • NZXT C650

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    Hard water sucks.
    There is only 1 clear option remaining, move to Scotland

10. Received thanks from:

Saracen999 (09-02-2021)

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_B View Post
    There is only 1 clear option remaining, move to Scotland
    Or Wales, Yorkshire, pretty much anywhere really. Growing up in the Thames Valley it was always a shock when I visited somewhere and the first shower used my usual amount of detergent to find myself standing there encased in vast amounts of suds

Registered+
    Thanks

The annoying thing about espresso-based drinks (like your Americano), is that there's a high cost to entry. I've got what I'd consider a "basic" setup and that still cost me a £120 used Gaggia Classic espresso machine and a £350 new grinder (although you could obviously get a used one cheaper).

Unless you're willing to spend £300+ on your initial setup, I'd stick to non-espresso coffee (cafetiere, V60, etc) and tea. I think the cheaper "espresso" knock-offs like Tasimo/Nespresso taste pretty bad honestly so I'd avoid those, they use the pods that contain stale pre-ground coffee.

Thanks

Right, all round to Neon's for coffee. We'll bring our own cups.

Wassat? Virus? Lockdown? What idiot locked us down when I need coffee?

Oh, that idiot.

Dang. Looks like you're off the hook, Neon. For now.

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

So, how has your jump from DeLonghi to that rather racy looking Gaggia worked out?

Go on, spill the beans

Thanks
    • neonplanet40's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 2700X
      • Memory:
      • Patriot 16 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 256 Crucial MX100 +Kingston 256GB SSD and 500GB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit nVidia 1070Ti Rockgamer
      • PSU:
      • OCZ 650W
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse-32
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 27" U2715H & Dell 23" U2311H
      • Internet:
      • 60MB

Haha. Well, I am happy to say that I can taste the difference. Not sure why. Could be the ceramic grinder? Different pump/pressure? Steam wand? No idea what it is (I don't think it's placebo but it's hard to be objective, isn't it?). It also seems to use slightly less beans compared to delonghi. But I can't prove this as I never weighed my beans.

I was going to go for a sage barista express or similar. Probably could have spent less had I done that. But the Magento seemed to offer features that were best for me: a good quality and easy to use bean to cup which had a barista style steam wand needing some learning on my part.

I didn't want a new hobby. That was my ultimate reason. I've just no time I just wanted to ensure that the coffee I was getting was the best I could get WITHOUT starting a new hobby and doing everything manually. Overall, happy with my decision. I am unsure about the longevity of the Gaggia's, but the Sage machines don't do well in that regards from what I read.

I was also able to get little help in choosing because once you said on coffeeforums etc that you wanted a bean to cup, no-one was interested. Which is a shame as not everyone on those forums will wanted a £600 grinder and other equipment.
    Home Entertainment =Epson TW9400, Denon AVRX6300H, Panasonic DPUB450EBK 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray and Monitor Audio Silver RX 7.0, Monitor Audio CT265IDC(x4) Dolby Atmos and XTZ 12.17 Sub - (Config 7.1.4)
    My System=Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi, AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Patriot 16 GB DDR4 3200MHz, 256GB Crucial SSD, Kingston 256GB SSD and 500GB Samsung F3, Palit GTX1070 GameRock Edition , Enermax Liberty 620W, Akasa Eclipse-32,Dell 2715H & Dell U2311H
    Home Server 2/HTPC - Ryzen 5 3600, Asus Strix B450, 16GB Ram, EVGA GT1030 SC, 2x 2TB Cruscial SSD, Corsair TX550, Plex Server & Nvidia Shield Pro 4K
    Diskstation/HTPC - Synology DS1821+ 16GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 45TB & Synology DS1821+ 8GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 14TB
    Portable=Microsoft Surface Pro 4, Huawei M5 10" & HP Omen 15 laptop

16. Received thanks from:

DanceswithUnix (09-02-2021)

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

I wonder if the ease of use is why bean to cup machines seem to get such a hard ride. Clearly we aren't into coffee if we aren't prepared to dedicate our lives to the preparation

I guess being on your second machine makes you the forum expert!

Reliable reviews do seem hard to find. I noticed there is a "beantocupcoffee.co.uk" site. The main page says the site was created by Ryan, yet the "About" page has a picture of someone supposedly called Barbara who also founded the site, and from a google image search the picture is apparently a royalty free stock photo of a woman holding a cup of tea. Clearly not a site to be trusted. What are things coming to when you can't trust the Internet

Thanks

... Which is a shame as not everyone on those forums will wanted a £600 grinder and other equipment.
    Oh, that's the cheap stuff. I watched one recent grinder review where the budget end was £1500. The higher end more than double that. And just to be clear, that's not the coffee machine, just the grinder.

Then again, I suppose it's like almost anything - start getting into the very high end equipment and it gets realy expensive, very quickly.

/looks at camera retailer websites currently open in browser

I'd like to find a hobby, just once, where I didn't fairly quickly end up saying "How much". Gulp!!!

I thought about flower-arranging.

"Those orchids are how much?"

That was that.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread Information