Thread: Network Problems

Thanks

Network Problems

OK. The family computer downstairs connects to the internet via a USB modem. I have been sharing this connection with my computer upstairs via a Homeplug setup, which has gone very well until now. Now my computer upstairs can see the network, but can't get the internet. The computer downstairs...well.

It connects to the network if I use static IPs, but I can't seem to then find it using the computer upstairs, which leads me to believe I'm setting 'em up wrong. If I try to use automatically assigned IPs, I don't get to the network at all, as the network fails to assign an IP address to the computer. I think that the DHCP server has become ****ed somehow, but I can't get it back. If I try ipconfig /release, it tells me that the IP has already been released. ipconfig /renew fails. I've also tried various netsh commands, all with no success.

Short of a complete format and re-install (which, as this is my parent's computer, would take a lot of cajoling and backing up to make sure it's EXACTLY as they like it), does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get an internet connection back in my room again?

Thanks
    • Rabs's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 6700K
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 950 Pro Nvme, 1TB Seagate HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA Nvidia 970OC
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster Ethusiast 850W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Stacker STC 101
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq GW2760 27"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Cable 200/12
    First things first, I take it your using windows Internet Connection Sharing, if so disable (close window etc), then go back in and re-enable it.

On the host machine, check all your firewall settings as although unlikely may be causing the DHCP fun.

Other than this try a different modem, it may be the perfect opportunity to buy a router - they're cheap as chips now.

EDIT: (note to self to be more helpful...)

If your using XP SP2 or above, try the following commands in command prompt

netsh winsock reset

(reboot & retest - if still not working try this

netsh int ip reset log.txt
    Last edited by Rabs; 27-05-2007 at 12:44 PM.

Thanks
    Still nothing. Resetlog read:

reset SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters\Interfaces\Tcpip_{7A928836-9A79-41A6-BC3A-FDCCBF457747}\NameServerList
    old REG_MULTI_SZ =
    <empty>

added SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters\Interfaces\Tcpip_{7A928836-9A79-41A6-BC3A-FDCCBF457747}\NetbiosOptions
    deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters\EnableLmhosts
    reset SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{58BFBF0C-724A-4491-9F84-5BD5BBB2215A}\AddressType
    old REG_DWORD = 1

deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{58BFBF0C-724A-4491-9F84-5BD5BBB2215A}\IpAutoconfigurationAddress
    deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{58BFBF0C-724A-4491-9F84-5BD5BBB2215A}\IpAutoconfigurationMask
    deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{58BFBF0C-724A-4491-9F84-5BD5BBB2215A}\IpAutoconfigurationSeed
    deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{7A928836-9A79-41A6-BC3A-FDCCBF457747}\NameServer
    deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\DontAddDefaultGatewayDefault
    deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\EnableIcmpRedirect
    deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\EnableSecurityFilters
    deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\SearchList
    deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\UseDomainNameDevolution
    reset Linkage\UpperBind for USB\VID_09E1&PID_5121\000B3B13EC8E. bad value was:
    REG_MULTI_SZ =
    PSched

reset Linkage\UpperBind for ROOT\MS_NDISWANIP\0000. bad value was:
    REG_MULTI_SZ =
    PSched

reset Linkage\UpperBind for PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8139&SUBSYS_92051509&REV_10\4&1F7DBC9F&0&08F0. bad value was:
    REG_MULTI_SZ =
    PSched

<completed>

Thanks
    • Rabs's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 6700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA Nvidia 970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq GW2760 27"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Cable 200/12
    If youve done the tcip/ip and winsock resets, you may need to disable and re-enable ICS again.

Can your parents machine connect and browse the internet fine?

Youve also not mentioned any software firewall on either machine.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabs View Post
    If youve done the tcip/ip and winsock resets, you may need to disable and re-enable ICS again.

Can your parents machine connect and browse the internet fine?

Youve also not mentioned any software firewall on either machine.
    Yeah, it can connect to the net fine. And there's a software firewall on my parent's machine - part of Panda Antivirus Suite, which they think will instantly kill their computer if disabled.

>_<

If I disable and re-enable ICS it sets my IP address to a static one, and doesn't enter a default gateway or DNS server, which can't be right. Oh, and it still doesn't work.

Might just see if I can persuade them to buy a router, seeing as I can't afford one at the moment.

Thanks
    • Rabs's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 6700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA Nvidia 970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq GW2760 27"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Cable 200/12
    Well its upto you, its possibly Panda causing the problem, as you can do the tcp/ip and winsock resets you'll be on XP SP2 or Vista.

Make sure windows firewall is enabled and only then disable the firewall and retry.

ICS turns the host machine into a router basically so the machine gives out IP addresses via DHCP. Anything that blocks traffic on both sides can cause problems. Check your machines firewall also as this could be the cause of the problem too.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabs View Post
    Well its upto you, its possibly Panda causing the problem, as you can do the tcp/ip and winsock resets you'll be on XP SP2 or Vista.

Make sure windows firewall is enabled and only then disable the firewall and retry.

ICS turns the host machine into a router basically so the machine gives out IP addresses via DHCP. Anything that blocks traffic on both sides can cause problems. Check your machines firewall also as this could be the cause of the problem too.
    OK, I'll have a look, cheers. Might just get a new router, as I've had problems with the internet sharing dooberry before as well.

Thanks
    • xAmritx's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Deluxe Wifi
      • CPU:
      • E6600 Core2Duo
      • Memory:
      • 2x1GB Crucial Ballistix PC-6400 DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 750GB Western Digital WD7500AAKS | 750GB Seagate Barricuda 7200.11 ST3750330AS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800GTX OC2
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W
      • Case:
      • Antec P182 Windowed
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" LG L226WTQ
      • Internet:
      • 24mb O2 sync'd @ 10mb for £5/month (suck on that virgin!)
    1.the host computer which has the firewall needs to enable "Generic Host Process" in the firewall settings. i don't know how this panada firewall works but if u need the path of the process: c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe

Try step one and if it dont work still try the next steps

2.Open the Network and Dial-up Connections folder on the same computer. Then right click the Dial-up connection that you want to share and select Properties.

3.Click the Advanced tab, then check Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection.

4.Click OK. If your local area network adapter already has an IP address assigned, WinXP warns you that it will change it. Click Yes to continue.

5.Go Start-->Run-->type "cmd" and hit ok

6.Type ipconfig /all and search for you ETHERNET adapter (not the modem) and note down the IP address.

7.Now run upstairs to your pc, open up your network connections and right click and select properties.

8.Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties

9.Select Use The Following IP Address

Enter the following:
    IP Address: 192.168.0.3
    Subnet Mark:255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: (the number you noted down in step 6)

Now it should work. Reply if it dont

Oh btw im assuming you dont have a firewall on the upstairs pc, but if you do enable the same process as in step 1 but this time on your pc.
    Last edited by xAmritx; 29-05-2007 at 03:03 AM.

Thread Information