Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Student House Network

?!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoo
    Actually, I don't think that's as much of an issue these days, I lived in a student heavy broadband area at uni and I can't say it was noticable at all, most cable providers have a *lot* of spare capacity these days
    Not necessarily, Its only lately that both cable networks have upgraded and made use of multiple muxing of D/S. Still worth checking as its a binding contract. You can also check with DocsDiag.

Thanks
    • Butuz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77 MPOWER
      • CPU:
      • I7 3770K @ 4.6
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS 1866
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3xR9 290
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10
      • Case:
      • Inwin H Frame
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
    Reason copper cat5 should not be used outside is because if anything happens to the insulation, i.e water gets in, you could risk damaging the switch/router/NIC at each end of the cable. At home when you have a £40 router thats not much of a problem, but in insustry when the switches either side of the cable may have set you back £3k each that is a problem. Is also very succeptible to lightning strikes etc.

Fibre optic doesnt carry electronic signals so if its hit by lightning, cut, shorted, submerged in water, it wont make a blind bit of difference to the £3k switches at either end.

To be honest i've tried wireless between my houses (2 driveways in between as well as the 2 external walls) and its too flaky signals too poor. I am gonna run sheilded cat 5 through a hosepipe or the like and through trunking under both carports. I dont mind if anything happens to my £40 netgear router and free 24 port switch at either end, the risks are pretty low, low enough for me at home, but far too high for me at work. You should see the amount of fibre between the buildings in work!

Butuz

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by directhex
    wireless is a bad choice, the cons outweigh the pros.

if the landlord doesn't want to put in a wired network properly (ours did, he could hike the rent up for the next lot & take advantage of comsci students), then just sling long loops of cat5 all over the place. the ideal is wall plugs through the wall cavity, though
    yeah, thats the way - i hate wireless, im not saying it donsnt have pros, but OMG, the cons do go on (and on, and on...)

- also, its well worth talking to your lan(d)lord, beacuse i have a mate at uni and he got £200 for wiring up his student house, he did do a good job, running the wires well etc, but at the end of the day, still good

daniel

Thanks
    lan(d)lord
    Lol very good
    Twigman

?!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz
    Reason copper cat5 should not be used outside is because if anything happens to the insulation, i.e water gets in, you could risk damaging the switch/router/NIC at each end of the cable. At home when you have a £40 router thats not much of a problem, but in insustry when the switches either side of the cable may have set you back £3k each that is a problem. Is also very succeptible to lightning strikes etc.

Fibre optic doesnt carry electronic signals so if its hit by lightning, cut, shorted, submerged in water, it wont make a blind bit of difference to the £3k switches at either end.

To be honest i've tried wireless between my houses (2 driveways in between as well as the 2 external walls) and its too flaky signals too poor. I am gonna run sheilded cat 5 through a hosepipe or the like and through trunking under both carports. I dont mind if anything happens to my £40 netgear router and free 24 port switch at either end, the risks are pretty low, low enough for me at home, but far too high for me at work. You should see the amount of fibre between the buildings in work!

Butuz
    External antenna's included?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information