Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broadband with incoming calls only?

Thanks

Broadband with incoming calls only?

Right this may sound daft however I will explain my thinking later.

Is it possible to get broadband on a BT line which has incoming calls only? Basically I use my mobile for all my calls and BT have an incoming calls only package for about a tenner a quarter, this would save me £80 a year!

My mate was telling me that one of his uni friends got cut off BT for not paying the bill, however during this time he was still able to connect to his broadband. I don't know if this would only last a certain time as he paid his bill.

I phoned BT and asked and they said no but this could be a standard line from BT to keep me paying more per month.

So what do you recon guys? could I get incoming calls only and still get my broadband?

Thanks
    The cheaper BT packages (e.g. incoming only, or the light user scheme) specifically state in the terms and conditions that they must be your only phone. If you have a mobile, you are not eligible. Of course, if you have a pay-as-you-go mobile, how would they know?

As for broadband with an incoming-only line, I think you'd be hard pressed to get BT to agree to it. They state that these cheaper phone lines are designed for people on a limited income, and they claim that the costs are subsidised. They are unlikely to allow broadband on a 'subsidised' line.

The alternative is to look for an ISP which does "full local loop unbundling". That way the ISP provides the phone service as well as broadband. Most ISPs doing this try to undercut BT, as otherwise people would stick with BT for the phone.

Note that this isn't the same as "shared local loop unbundling", which is where the ISP takes over the broadband line (giving higher speeds than normally possible), but leaves BT to provide the phone service.

If you have any more questions about broadband, feel free to ask. I used to work for BT, working on the broadband ordering system.

Thanks
    If I called BT and asked to move back to them and place me on a incoming calls only package would this remove the ability to use broadband? Would this like unable my line for BB in the process?

Thanks
    I'm not sure. Legally, BT is split into several sections to stop it being a monopoly. BT Retail handle the phone lines, BT Wholesale handle broadband (which most ISPs buy and sell on to consumers). The question is how much information they share (i.e. does BT Retail tell BT Wholesale that the line is incoming only and block broadband? or does BT Wholesale tell BT Retail that broadband has been ordered so BT Retail puts your price up? or neither?) Unfortunately I don't know.

Ultimately, what you're trying to do is something that BT doesn't want you to do (i.e. pay them less money!) So if you want an adventure, try it and see! It's then down to whether they notice and try to charge you more :-)

Thanks
    I am trying to perswade my mate to do this! I don't fancy the adventure and being without broadband for a while so hence I am asking around to find out first

Phoned BT and got a straight "no"

Thanks

Smile Re: Broadband with incoming calls only?

Hi, dont you just HATE BT ! Arent they a big pack of rip offs. Well i have news for everyone who is like me - computer minded. Anyway you will all be pleased to know that it is possible to TELL BT to put the line on incoming calls only and still have broadband.

Say you cant afford the calls but want incoming only ( dont cut it off totaly !! ). Then i recommend Supanet broadband 8Mbps at 9.99 per month unlimited. I contacted supanet and they say incoming calls will NOT block the broadband internet on the line. Then i ordered a linksys PAP2 from ebay and ring circuit from another site and off i went. Im using VOIP from freespeech

So now i have 10 pounds to pay BT each QUARTER and calls from 1p per minute with free line rental on VOIP. Im happy

Also never listen to people that say you sliped past their net. Its totaly legal, bt cant controll what comes in and out of the line. Becausew VOIP uses internet its just seen as internet. I have loads of friends and neighbours who have done this and has had it now for over a year. Just pay your line rental and BT are happy

Goodbye Expensive BT, hello new technology !

Enjoy

Thanks

Re: Broadband with incoming calls only?

Maybe it is techincally possible, it may still be against BT T&Cs. Something to bear in mind.

Just found this for the Light User Scheme - says you can't have it if the line has Broadband
    BT.com | BT Basic

I imagine it's the same or similar terms for the incoming only package.
    Last edited by gman1981; 10-01-2008 at 02:49 PM.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

BT Outreach (the successor to BT Wholesale) own the infrastructure, and are legally obliged to make that infrastructure (specifically the local loop) available to other telcos. So you could have an incoming package from any telco that offers it, and broadband from any other ISP. If you choose to get your voice service from BT, and they offer an incoming caklls only service, then I don't see how the retail voice arm of BT can impose T&C on another part of BT which is a separate legal entity - or on any other service supplier.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

ZuG
    Thanks

A few years ago I had broadband on a phone line with incoming calls only. Although you may find it easier to go through another supplier other than BT. For instance you cannot get BT Broadband on a Business phone line as they just will not allow it. You can however get any other providers ADSL domestic product on a BT Business phone line.
    When I had my broadband on a incoming calls only line I went with plusnet and had no problems at all.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by colerainescotty View Post
    So now i have 10 pounds to pay BT each QUARTER and calls from 1p per minute with free line rental on VOIP. Im happy
    Can you tell me how you get the BT line rental down to £10 per quarter? I was quoted £11 per month for incoming only - and even then I would have to pay £26 to get all numbers barred.

Many Thanks
    G

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gandy View Post
    Can you tell me how you get the BT line rental down to £10 per quarter? I was quoted £11 per month for incoming only - and even then I would have to pay £26 to get all numbers barred.

Many Thanks
    G
    Did that include the discount for monthly direct debit?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Did that include the discount for monthly direct debit?
    I believe so...
    Last edited by gandy; 16-01-2008 at 11:11 PM.

Thanks

My broadband seems to be twice the speed now the phone is on incoming calls only. Im getting around 3.5Mbps on a 5Mbps subscription. When i had full BT service it was struggling to reach 1Mbps. Having less services on the line i think now will take up less bandwidth.

Anyway BT had sent out a quarterly bill for my last quarter which was 98.00 and the cost of calls was only 28.98. My bills are now around 10.00 per month and alternative is my voip on pay as you go and broadband 10.00 per month its far cheaper.

Thanks

Also they charged me 26.00 for the change. And i said 10.00 per quarter when i actually meant around 10.00 per month on incoming calls.

Also when your changing to incoming calls dont mention to BT that you have internet on the line, just tell them you cant pay the bill as they'll not perform the change.

Thanks

Why dont you just get Virgin media broadband, you dont need a phone line at all! they got a £10 offer on at the moment for 2mb, for ppl 2km line lenth, its pritty good value.

Thanks

I would love to get it and i will get it as soon as its available in my area.

Cable is not yet available to ppl in my area

I cant wait to it is though.

Does anyone know when it will be available in Coleraine Northern Ireland. I hear its available in Belfast at present.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information