Thread: Sharing a mac's internet connection with windows PCs

Mike Fishcake

Sharing a mac's internet connection with windows PCs

Here's an interesting one for you.

I've borrowed a Mac Mini from work over the Xmas holiday. At home, I don't have a router, so I have my main PC connected to a USB Speedtouch modem, then share that connection with my Windows notebook over wireless. That works fine.

I've also set up the USB modem on the Mac Mini, and i'm using that now, so that works fine. However, I'm tearing my hair out and stamping my feet like a child throwing a tantrum trying to get the Mac to share its connection with the Windows PC. I've managed to get it so that my windows PC can see the Mac in the actual workgroup (and vice versa) but I can't for the life of me get the windows PC to use the Mac's connection.

I've followed all the instructions in Mac OS - I've set up both computers so they're in a workgroup called Fishnet. I've gone to Sharing on System Preferences and set up Personal Web Sharing, then shared the Speedtouch USB connection over the wireless connection - the windows PC knows the connection is there, it's connected but I go to browse the web, and it just can't find it.

I've set up the network name, made sure the encryption key is exactly the same, but it just refuses to use the Mac's network connection.

Any ideas on where to go from here? I've been fiddling around for hours trying to get this thing to work, and it just refuses to.

I've probably missed off other information that you need to know, so ask away for any information.

Using Tiger on the Mac with Airport and Windows XP with a Belkin Wireless Adapter.

*gibber*

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks
    Find a BSD guide is probably your best bet, and hope apple haven't only half implemented it.

Its worth noting the a mac mini has pisspoor performance, and as such using it as a USB to IP router might not be the most performance friendly ideas of all time.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Mike Fishcake
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus
    Find a BSD guide is probably your best bet, and hope apple haven't only half implemented it.

Its worth noting the a mac mini has pisspoor performance, and as such using it as a USB to IP router might not be the most performance friendly ideas of all time.
    Not really bothered about performance that much. The two windows PCs will really just be used for general internet browsing and chat programs really, plus it's just a temporary measure for a week or two.

Mike Fishcake
    To dig up an old thread from almost a year ago, I'm about to try this again tonight. Wish me luck

Thanks
    good luck mike!

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    Make sure the gateway address in the TCP/IP settings of your Windows machine is set to the IP of your mac
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

Thread Information