Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So I fitted my new Thermalright and Yate Loon today. Are my temp problems fixed?

Thanks
    • excalibur2's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z77-d3h
      • CPU:
      • Intel 2500k @4.4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2X4gb Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • WD 2tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 750
      • Case:
      • Haf-x tower
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell u2410
      • Internet:
      • broadband with Plusnet
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy83 View Post

I've got my E4300 oc'd to 3060Mhz (FSB up to 140) with voltage on auto.
    Well anyone can do that, but is it stable and at a reasonable temp......that's where the skill or trial and error comes in.

Thanks
    • zephod's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77
      • CPU:
      • Intel i3570k @4.2ghz
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 8GB DDR1600 White LP
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD6870
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster silent pro 600W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 550D
      • Operating System:
      • dozeXP / ubuntu 13.10 / win7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq 24" 1080p
      • Internet:
      • 20mb
    Right. My overclocked E6300 currently gets temps of 37/39 in both coretemp and speedfan. However, uguru reckons that the cpu temp is 28*!!! However, my temps never really shift, even at continuous max load, so i consider my cooling good. At home (rather than uni), I get lower temps...maybe the clean Manx air, or just better ventilation, I dunno. Still, I wouldn't be that unhappy with temps of 42* if its a warm room, as long as you aren't shooting up too much under load... If there isn't anything much you can do about your airflow then maybe it is time for a new case

Anyway, as for HSF being mobile, I thought it was odd that my s775 bracket for my Zalman could rotate ~5* very easily once mounted, but I had such improved results once installed, I was extatic anyway. Furthermore, searching online if found that was common to a number of s775 mounting systems...could be the same for the thermalright.

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte DS4 965p Revision 2
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 4gig DDR 800 (C4)
      • Storage:
      • two 320gig Seagate Barracudas, and one 750 gig Seagate Barracuda (7200.10) and a 750gig same brand.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Apple Cinema Display 20"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media - Slow, expensive rip off, Indian customer service. Great choice eh? :C
    Quote Originally Posted by kungpo View Post
    As a matter of interest, what temps were you getting with the stock cooler before changing to the AC7?
    With the stock cooler, I had about 48C idle, and about 61C under load. The AC7 Pro increased my temps by 1 degree.

Quote Originally Posted by zephod View Post
    Still, I wouldn't be that unhappy with temps of 42* if its a warm room, as long as you aren't shooting up too much under load
    Its not that warm a room unfortunately. Also, they do shoot up quite a bit under load - they go to about 55C.

If there isn't anything much you can do about your airflow then maybe it is time for a new case
    I could buy new case fans. But I dont know any that as quiet as Sharkoon 1000s. I tried some Noctuas which where slightly louder, but pushed much more air, but it only knocked off about 1 degree.

searching online if found that was common to a number of s775 mounting systems...could be the same for the thermalright.
    Yeah Thermalright themselves said it was normal in my email to them. Its a bit strange but its tight enough to make a good contact so thats what matters.

I think I'm just going to buy a different fan for my Thermalright. I need to try to find a very quiet, yet high speed fan somewhere. The Yate Loon High Speed fan would be perfect, but I still can't see it anywhere in the UK.
    Last edited by acrobat; 31-05-2007 at 11:25 AM.

Thanks
    • IAmATeaf's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600@3.25
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2GB Corsair 6400C5DHX XMS2
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 0.5TB 7200.12, 2 x 1.5TB 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX460 OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC6089B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung T240 24"
      • Internet:
      • 6Mb ADSL Max
    Is your case a tower case? If it is then try putting the case on it's side and see if this affects the temps. If it doesn't then the HSF is on tight enough, if it does then the HSF isn't on tight enough. Many people have reported that the extreme doesn't seem tight enough and some have even placed a piece of card between the HSF and mounting plate to get it to fit tighter.

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • two 320gig Seagate Barracudas, and one 750 gig Seagate Barracuda (7200.10) and a 750gig same brand.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media - Slow, expensive rip off, Indian customer service. Great choice eh? :C
    Ahhh thats a nice idea! Thanks. And yes its a tower, so I'll try it on its side.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by excalibur2 View Post
    Well anyone can do that, but is it stable and at a reasonable temp......that's where the skill or trial and error comes in.
    OK smartypants!

I was asking about voltages - do people tend to leave it on auto or set a specific value?

My System: Coolermaster Centurion 5 (black) case, Intel E6750 Core2Duo, Tagan Easy-Con 530W, Asus P5B Deluxe WIFI, OCZ 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 CL 4-4-4-15 PLATINUM XTC, Samsung SpinPoint 200Gb SATA2 / 2 x Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200Gb SATA, 256Mb Sapphire ATI PCI-E X1950PRO, Creative X-Fi Xtreme 7.1, 19" Daewoo W9ZQ Black Widescreen TFT, 4Mb Virgin Cable Broadband (formerly Blueyonder) with Linksys WRT54GL Wireless-G and DD-WRT firmware.

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Is your case a tower case? If it is then try putting the case on it's side and see if this affects the temps. If it doesn't then the HSF is on tight enough, if it does then the HSF isn't on tight enough. Many people have reported that the extreme doesn't seem tight enough and some have even placed a piece of card between the HSF and mounting plate to get it to fit tighter.
    Just finished testing my PC on its side. The temperature was the same.

Also, I'm sure I can't return the CPU.

I think my only option really, is to just buy a faster fan for it. I'd really like the high speed Yate Loon but it doesn't seem to be on sale in the UK. Unless I can find an equivalent, I might try to buy a YateLoon from that german guy on ebay who has an ebay-shop.

Thanks
    • GSte's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P6T Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • i7 920 @ 4.2GHz / TRUE
      • Memory:
      • 6GB GSkill 1600MHz cas6
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Barracuda, 2 x WD 500GB AAKS, 1TB Caviar Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX470
      • PSU:
      • NorthQ Black Magic Flex 850W
      • Case:
      • X-Clio Windtunnel
      • Operating System:
      • XP Home, Vista Home Premium X64, Win7 Home X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 245B
      • Internet:
      • Be Not So Happy
    Just got an Ultra 120 extreme myself yesterday and thought you might be interested in my temps, as I have an E6600 also. At stock speed with a Scythe Infinity I used to get:

32C idle;
    53C load.

Now with the Ultra it's:

29C idle;
    40C load.

The fan I'm using is an Antec Tricool on the highest speed setting. Good luck getting it sorted

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
    Thank you! Very kind.

Could I ask a couple of other things?

1) Is the CPU at stock speed and voltage?
    2) What did you use to get those temperatures? (CoreTemp? -- IntelTAT? -- SpeedFan?)
    3) What fans, and how many, do you have in your case? I've got two 120mm fans, but they are both very low speed and very quiet.
    4) How quiet/noisy is that "Antec Tricool" fan? Do you have it at full speed, slow, medium, or do you have it on the bios setting which changes it depending on CPU load? Either way, how noisy is that thing?

Thanks in advance

You got me thinking hard again about this If you are measuring the core temperatures, then you are cooler under load than I am idle I am going to buy a faster fan for the heatsink (I like the sound of that Antec Tricool - although I'm a noise freak now it seems, so I'd love to know what you think about its noise). But I'm not sure if a fan alone will make me that much difference. I'll see.

Thanks
    Understand your aversion to noise but with air cooling you can't maximise oc & keep silent fan noise.

1)
    At stock speed with a Scythe Infinity I used to get:
    4)
    Do you have it at full speed, slow, medium
    =
    is an Antec Tricool on the highest speed setting
    As has been stated earlier & elswhere to maximise the thermalright ultra & extreme performance u need a high pressure (essentially a high cfm fan) the tricool or a high speed loony will i've no doubt improve your performance how much - can't really say

other things to consider
    1) was the thermal compound applied correctly, too much can actually cause hi temps.
    2) Is the cooler seured correctly, It isn'yt that easy i know. Its best to tighten the bolts diagonally so that the pressure is evenly applied across the cpu.

luck

Thanks
    • GSte's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P6T Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • i7 920 @ 4.2GHz / TRUE
      • Memory:
      • 6GB GSkill 1600MHz cas6
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Barracuda, 2 x WD 500GB AAKS, 1TB Caviar Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX470
      • PSU:
      • NorthQ Black Magic Flex 850W
      • Case:
      • X-Clio Windtunnel
      • Operating System:
      • XP Home, Vista Home Premium X64, Win7 Home X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 245B
      • Internet:
      • Be Not So Happy
    1) Yes.

2)Core temp and speedfan give me the same readings.

3)Case is an Antec 900, 2 x 120mm Xclio front intakes (may be crap, I don't know but I like the pretty red LEDs ), 1 x 120mm Xclio rear exhaust, 1 x 200mm (I think) monster top exhaust on full speed.

4)Full speed, not affected by BIOS, can't hear it over the roar of the case fans Will check it out tomorrow though.

Have you checked to see if your IHS is flat? I know some people have had problems with them being quite convex

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
    Quote Originally Posted by Supershanks View Post
    Understand your aversion to noise but with air cooling you can't maximise oc & keep silent fan noise.
    Don't really want to maximise OC, just getting away from stock would be nice I always thought if I could reach 3ghz without it getting noisier, I'd be really happy.

As has been stated earlier & elswhere to maximise the thermalright ultra & extreme performance u need a high pressure (essentially a high cfm fan) the tricool or a high speed loony will i've no doubt improve your performance how much - can't really say
    I didn't think fan performance would be a big issue really, as people say its an amazing cooler (scores better than everything else in most reviews), and some people even use it without a fan at all. I'll buy a Tricool though and see how that helps. I'll post what difference it makes. I think I'd probably prefer a high speed Yate Loon but I can't find one in the UK and I'm not sure about that German guy. I don't have PayPal, etc

other things to consider
    1) was the thermal compound applied correctly, too much can actually cause hi temps.
    2) Is the cooler seured correctly, It isn'yt that easy i know. Its best to tighten the bolts diagonally so that the pressure is evenly applied across the cpu.

luck
    Pretty sure I did ok. I tried it with hardly any paste, and it wasn't too good. Tried adding another bigger blob and it didn't make much difference. Also tried running the PC on its side incase the weight of it was an issue, but the temperature was the same.

I'm pretty sure I either need a fast fan for it, or my C2D is just crap. Thanks for the help by the way, I'll let ya know how I get on when I buy a new fan.

Quote Originally Posted by GSte View Post
    3)Case is an Antec 900, 2 x 120mm Xclio front intakes (may be crap, I don't know but I like the pretty red LEDs ), 1 x 120mm Xclio rear exhaust, 1 x 200mm (I think) monster top exhaust on full speed.

4)Full speed, not affected by BIOS, can't hear it over the roar of the case fans Will check it out tomorrow though.

Have you checked to see if your IHS is flat? I know some people have had problems with them being quite convex
    Thanks for reply! That case is a monster at cooling, compared to mine which just has two fans and they are both extremely low speed. Also because its a quiet case, I like to keep the CPU Fan really low speed aswell to keep the noise down, so it only ever runs at about 1360rpm.

I only checked the flatness of the chip and the heatsink by sight because I haven't got a metal ruler. I thought about using a metal knife, but the knife looked like it was a bit curved. I need to think of something metal I have which is flat But anyway, I looked at them both, and by sight, they looked flat to me. The heat sink also had an almost mirrored finish. Also, when I put the heatsink on, I took it off again for a second, just to see if it squashed the paste properly. It looked like it must be very flat because it squashed the paste and spread it out nicely.

I reckon my problem is all my low speed fans. Its just two case fans which run just over 1000rpm, and just a 1360rpm fan on the heatsink which never gets faster. I'm determined to keep the case fans the same because the other components are cool enough, but I'm going to buy one of those Tri Cools and see how it goes. I just hope the noise of it doesn't bug me too much. I'd never be able to put up with it running at full speed (the AC7 Pro sounded like a jet taking off to me), but when it ran slower when the PC was idle, it was quiet enough. So I'm hoping the Tri Cool is quiet when its at lower revs.
    Last edited by acrobat; 01-06-2007 at 03:01 AM.

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks
    Have you done the - blowing a desk fan into the open case thing?

If the temps drop, youll know its an airflow thing, if not, its probably a contact issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    stupid betond belief.
    You owe it to yourself to click here really.

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
    Yeah the desk fan reduced the temperatures a fair bit. It just seemed a bit odd to me because the fan was huge and very fast and yet it only shaved off about 6 degrees or so. But that 6 degrees did make it look much nicer. Idle went from about 41, to about 34, and load went from about 55 to about 49. So it was better, but it just seemed odd that even with a very powerful huge fan facing right at the heatsink, the temperatures where still higher than some people and even still higher than some people after overclocking.

To get that kind of cooling with normal case fans, I'd need about six, 4000rpm fans or something.

I'll see how it goes anyway with a new fan on the heatsink. I'm going to buy one as soon as I figure out which one is good. I might get that "Tri Cool" fan, or something similar. I'm sure it will help, I just have to cross my fingers that it won't just knock a couple of degrees off and yet sound really noisy. I'll see

p.s. As for contact, does every last millimetre of the cpu need to be touching the heatsink really tight? It might be.. but I've only got paste in the middle of the chip. Perhaps if the chip isn't as flat as it should be, I should try putting a thin layer of paste over the entire chip?

Thanks
    • JimNastics's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb
      • Storage:
      • About 750gb me thinks...
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA ACS3 8800GTS
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520w
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2005FPW
      • Internet:
      • IDNet 8mb
    Quote Originally Posted by acrobat View Post

p.s. As for contact, does every last millimetre of the cpu need to be touching the heatsink really tight? It might be.. but I've only got paste in the middle of the chip. Perhaps if the chip isn't as flat as it should be, I should try putting a thin layer of paste over the entire chip?
    Definitely worth a go... wrap some cling-film over your finger and spread it evenly over the whole chip.

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
    Quote Originally Posted by JimNastics View Post
    Definitely worth a go... wrap some cling-film over your finger and spread it evenly over the whole chip.
    Alright, I'll give that a try. It'll either be today or tomorrow.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information