Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: So I fitted my new Thermalright and Yate Loon today. Are my temp problems fixed?

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte DS4 965p Revision 2
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 4gig DDR 800 (C4)
      • Storage:
      • two 320gig Seagate Barracudas, and one 750 gig Seagate Barracuda (7200.10) and a 750gig same brand.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Apple Cinema Display 20"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media - Slow, expensive rip off, Indian customer service. Great choice eh? :C

So I fitted my new Thermalright and Yate Loon today. Are my temp problems fixed?

I've had these temp problems since Christmas when I built my PC. Its an E6600 running at stock speeds. I tried the stock intel cooler, and I tried an AC7 Pro, and the temps where almost identical.

This is what the temps used to be, in a warm room. Bear in mind, the only case cooling I have is Sharkoon 1000's so its an almost silent PC, but not that much air flow. Also, I use Intel Thermal Analysis Tool (Intel TAT) to take the temps, and to push the CPU to 100% load).

Anyway the temps used to be:
    47C idle. 64C under full load.

So today I fitted a Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120, and for a fan I used a Yate Loon 1350RPM fan. So its a mid/low speed fan. I ideally wanted the high speed one but couldn't find it for sale in the UK, so thought I'd give this a try. Anyway, my temps now are this:

40C idle, 52C under full load.

The fan is just running at its max speed so its very quiet. When the CPU goes under load, it doesn't go any faster. It actually only went up to about 47C under full load, but if I left it for a few minutes, it gradually crept up to about 50 or 51.

So what do you all make of these temps? Is that still too high considering its not overclocked? I'm fairly happy with it, because both the CPU fan and the case fans are very low speed quiet fans, so the entire PC is really very quiet. And I don't like the chip reaching 60C. So I'm guessing with it reaching a maximum of about 51C, I could maybe even overclock it now? I've got about 8 or 9 degrees to play with atleast.

So I'm happy for now, but I'm not sure if this is as good as it should be considering this is one of the best air heatsinks you can get. What do you all think?

Thanks in advance

p.s. This heatsink was a joy to fit compared to that AC7 Pro with those horrible plastic push clips. Being able to screw it into place was fantastic

---edit---

Both idle and load temps have gone up a couple of degrees since my PC has warmed up some more.
    Last edited by acrobat; 29-05-2007 at 02:06 PM.

Thanks
    • xAmritx's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Deluxe Wifi
      • CPU:
      • E6600 Core2Duo
      • Memory:
      • 2x1GB Crucial Ballistix PC-6400 DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 750GB Western Digital WD7500AAKS | 750GB Seagate Barricuda 7200.11 ST3750330AS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800GTX OC2
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W
      • Case:
      • Antec P182 Windowed
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" LG L226WTQ
      • Internet:
      • 24mb O2 sync'd @ 10mb for £5/month (suck on that virgin!)
    We cant tell yet. Which paste are you using?

I know that AS5 will take 100h to get it working properly so atm i think we must wait a few days and report back the temps.

How did u apply the thermal paste and was the previous removed with a proper cleaner?

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • two 320gig Seagate Barracudas, and one 750 gig Seagate Barracuda (7200.10) and a 750gig same brand.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media - Slow, expensive rip off, Indian customer service. Great choice eh? :C
    I'm using Akasa Pro Grade+ 5022 paste.

I removed the old stuff with Akasa TIM cleaner.

Then to apply it, I put a small blob in the centre of the core (about half a grain of rice size), and then put the heatsink on with a twist. Then took it off for a quick peek, and it looked spread over the centre of the core and heatsink thinly, and not touching the edges.

I can just keep an eye on it for a few days, and see if the temps go down. But I'm trying to decide if they are bad or not. If they are, then I might put a slight bit more on now before I leave it to settle.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable
    It's really much higher than it should be with a monster heatsink like that, even before my AS5 settled my CPU was only about 32C with a scythe infinity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
    What speed is the Scythe Infinity? And have you got uber case cooling or low speed fans? I've only got 2 case fans, and they both run at about 1000rpm or so (the Sharkoon 1000).

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable
    The fan that came with the infinity had snapped blades so I just reused my old Vantec Stealth fan, it's 1,400rpm, and an Antec 900 case, I moved one of the modules just below the dvd writter so there's a direct flow of air to the heat sink.
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
    Hmm ok thanks. Your case is a monster for cooling, and mine only has two 120mm fans. I'm still thinking I'm running a bit too hot though

I'm going to try putting more paste on and see what that does.

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks
    Here we go again

Can you just do a ctrl alt and del while idle and just check that nothing is using any cpu power?
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    stupid betond belief.
    You owe it to yourself to click here really.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable
    Yeah, I know people say to use a rice grain, but I find you need a tad more when you flatten it out by hand, also what I tend to do is put a dab on the base of the heatsink and rub it around with kitchen paper or something.

Thanks
    • zephod's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77
      • CPU:
      • Intel i3570k @4.2ghz
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 8GB DDR1600 White LP
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD6870
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster silent pro 600W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 550D
      • Operating System:
      • dozeXP / ubuntu 13.10 / win7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq 24" 1080p
      • Internet:
      • 20mb
    Can you get a reading on other parts of your case; ie ambient temp, NB, etc. If everything is hot, it could just be a result of room temp and/or bad airflow. However, I reckon you should be able to improve on that. Bear in mind that the AS5 paste needs ~100h normal use (that includes being switched on/off) to reach optimum. Make cause a temp drop of as much as 5*, but cant promise...

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    Here we go again

Can you just do a ctrl alt and del while idle and just check that nothing is using any cpu power?
    Check, its at 0% in task manager. (Unless I do something).

Quote Originally Posted by aidanjt View Post
    Yeah, I know people say to use a rice grain, but I find you need a tad more when you flatten it out by hand, also what I tend to do is put a dab on the base of the heatsink and rub it around with kitchen paper or something.
    Aye, I'm gunna power down now and add a little bit more. It was really a very small amount so adding a bit more can't hurt. Atleast then I'll know.

Quote Originally Posted by zephod View Post
    Can you get a reading on other parts of your case; ie ambient temp, NB, etc. If everything is hot, it could just be a result of room temp and/or bad airflow. However, I reckon you should be able to improve on that. Bear in mind that the AS5 paste needs ~100h normal use (that includes being switched on/off) to reach optimum. Make cause a temp drop of as much as 5*, but cant promise...
    This paste I'm using seems to lower by about a degree over time. Atleast it did with my last heatsink.

As for other temperatures, these are they:

Motherboard/chipset: 44C
    CPU Surface temp (in SpeedFan): 28C
    HDD1: 32C
    HDD2: 32C
    HDD3: 31C

Then theres my cores both at 41C at the moment. I'll be back in about half an hour hopefully. Going to try adding a tiny bit more paste.

Thanks
    • zephod's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77
      • CPU:
      • Intel i3570k @4.2ghz
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 8GB DDR1600 White LP
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD6870
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster silent pro 600W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 550D
      • Operating System:
      • dozeXP / ubuntu 13.10 / win7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq 24" 1080p
      • Internet:
      • 20mb
    Does sound to me like more airflow through the back of your case is a good idea. These large surface area coolers work by creating a large dT between core and fins maximising the rate of energy transfer across the entire combination of parts. The hotter the ambient temp of air around the fins then the smaller dT will be. Ofc increasing the airflow across the fins by increasing the fanspeed does help, but dropping the case temp in this case may prove very effective. Not sure how much i trust that speedfan temp btw

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
    Which speedfan temp do you think is suspicious?

As for the airflow in the case, its an Akasa Eclipse 62, so it only has two fan slots. I did try using higher speed fans when I used to have my old cooler (AC7 Pro), and I used Noctua fans which ran at about 1600 odd, rather than 1000 odd. But the difference was only a degree or two, so I swapped back.

Anyway, I just added another blob of paste in the middle and then spread it out a bit, and then added another tiny blob. Now that I'm back in windows, the temps seem about the same (couple of degrees less when idle, degree or two more under load).

---edit---
    gunna try with the sides off. See what that does.
    Last edited by acrobat; 29-05-2007 at 03:44 PM.

Thanks
    Speedfan reports temps on my PC about 10 degrees lower than CoreTemp... and Asus Probe is just plain wrong.

Should I truest Speedfan, CoreTemp or Intel TAT? (Core2duo BTW)

My System: Coolermaster Centurion 5 (black) case, Intel E6750 Core2Duo, Tagan Easy-Con 530W, Asus P5B Deluxe WIFI, OCZ 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 CL 4-4-4-15 PLATINUM XTC, Samsung SpinPoint 200Gb SATA2 / 2 x Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200Gb SATA, 256Mb Sapphire ATI PCI-E X1950PRO, Creative X-Fi Xtreme 7.1, 19" Daewoo W9ZQ Black Widescreen TFT, 4Mb Virgin Cable Broadband (formerly Blueyonder) with Linksys WRT54GL Wireless-G and DD-WRT firmware.

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
    Well I've got the sides off with a high speed big room fan facing right at the CPU. It takes off about 5 degrees or so, idle and load. So its 33C idle, and about 48C under load.

Is that still too high considering its got a huge fan facing it with the sides off?

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy83 View Post
    Speedfan reports temps on my PC about 10 degrees lower than CoreTemp... and Asus Probe is just plain wrong.

Should I truest Speedfan, CoreTemp or Intel TAT? (Core2duo BTW)
    Trust coretemp and intel tat. My speed fan shows the same temps though for some reason.

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
    Hmm.

I just did a search on google for "E6600 temps", and I saw all kinds... One guy asked advice about his chip temp, and people are telling him its too high, and someone said to him, very contently.... "My E6600 (fitted with an ACF7Pro cooler) hovers around 40'C according to PC Wizard, but I do have a very well ventilated case".

If I use PC Wizard to read the temperature.... my temperature is 27C. So I'm putting that guy to shame. Its only because of the intel-tat readings which have me worried.

Also, there was 3 other people in that thread who mentioned their temperatures. They where "I have a Freezer 7 Pro cooling my E6600, getting temps at around 32 degrees in nVidia MonitorView", another was, "averaging 35C with stock cooler", and "BIOS shows the CPU temp as 45 degrees".

So if everyone is just talking about surface temps, I'm well lower than average. Now I'm starting to wonder if the temps are ok? Also, on another forum, someone said the temp sensors are often wrong, so don't worry about it.

Can anyone shed some light for me? Should I keep trying to sort this out, or am I golden? Current temperature (PC has been on all afternoon) are:

SpeedFan:
    27C Idle
    45C Full load (using intelTAT)

Intel TAT / Core Temp:
    41C Idle
    55C Full load (using intelTAT)

----------edit-----------
    Ok I'm back to thinking its crap I just read this guy on some other forum:

"I have a 6600 running at 3.6ghz 400 fsb. 1.425 Vcore. I get 43*C in coretemp - goes up to 48*C when it is hot out."

So basically, he has about the same temperature as me, only he is overclocked to a huge 3.6Ghz compared to my stock 2.4Ghz.

And heres someone else on a completely different forum:

"I am running an E6600 with a scythe ninja plus. I have it overclocked at 3.4 ghz right now (378 fsb) and it seems to be pretty stable. I'm using the 1.4125 vcore setting. My idle temps are 44c using core temp. With dual torture tests in prime 95 it gets up to about 56c."

So, his temps are almost identical to mine, but he is OC'd to 3.4. Im at stock.
    Last edited by acrobat; 29-05-2007 at 10:37 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information