Thread: Wireless dongle - connected with no internet access

Thanks

Wireless dongle - connected with no internet access

i have litteraly today bought a wireless dongle, driver disk included and seemed to be working fine, i installed the drivers as normal and Xp seems fine with installing the new USB dongle. i connected to the wireless network and had about half signal strength (rather normal as the router is in a room or so over). now after all of this there was an IP conflict so i ran the network wizard to set up a "home or small business network" that seemed to clear up the IP conflict however there is still no internet access and i have tried next to everything i can think of. i have tryed giving it a manual IP and default gateway, DNS as the router IP and so on and so on. nothing seems to work and it gos without saying i am starting to get a little aggravated with it. please let me know of anything you can think of.

thanks in advance.

Killer Kittens (Dave)

Thanks

Re: Wireless dongle - connected with no internet access

it has also come to my attention that there is no packet flow, as soon as i enable obtain IP and default gateway automatically it instantly gives me the IP conflict warning again.

Thanks
    • Jonessie's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage II Extreme, Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920, D0 SLBEJ S1366, Bloomfield, 2.66 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x6GB (3x2GB) Corsair Dominator GT, DDR3 PC3-14900 (1866)
      • Storage:
      • 2TB SATA SEAGATE
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2x1GB Sapphire HD 5870, PCI-E 2.0, 4800MHz GDDR5, GPU 850MHz, Crossfire
      • PSU:
      • ENERMAX REVOLUTION 850W
      • Case:
      • ThermalTake SPEDO Advanced Package
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell SP2309W (HDMI) 2048x1152
      • Internet:
      • VM 50MB Broadband :)

Re: Wireless dongle - connected with no internet access

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_kittens View Post
    i have litteraly today bought a wireless dongle, driver disk included and seemed to be working fine, i installed the drivers as normal and Xp seems fine with installing the new USB dongle. i connected to the wireless network and had about half signal strength (rather normal as the router is in a room or so over). now after all of this there was an IP conflict so i ran the network wizard to set up a "home or small business network" that seemed to clear up the IP conflict however there is still no internet access and i have tried next to everything i can think of. i have tryed giving it a manual IP and default gateway, DNS as the router IP and so on and so on. nothing seems to work and it gos without saying i am starting to get a little aggravated with it. please let me know of anything you can think of.

thanks in advance.

Killer Kittens (Dave)
    First of all KK what OS are you running, secondly what is the make and model of your reouter please.

The only time you get an IP Conflict is when, either something else connected to your network is manually configured with the same IP address and/or somebody is already using this IP Range. Say for example your main default machine is connected to the router with 192.168.x.x your FGW is 192.168.x.x when you installed the software for the dongle is would looked atthe IP Range and selected the next IP Address inline which would have been 192.168.x.xx.

Here is a nice little progam you can use and you do not need to be an IT expert to read what is in front of you. http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-Po...=dl&tag=button The port scanner will show ports which are open showing the IP address as well. Therefore, you will be able to see which IP address is conflicting with.

Screenshot of software below (for security reasons the image has been blured in cirtain areas)

Hope this helps you Dave.
    Last edited by Jonessie; 04-08-2009 at 12:05 PM.
    JONESSIE
    Never use an iPod Touch to type because you need fingers like chopsticks.

Thread Information