• antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" acer @1080p
      • Internet:
      • 24mb BE @ 22mb

Re: Windows 7 - improved Readyboost

surely if your mobo doesnt suport up to 4gig of ram. rather than comeing up with crafty solutions like this, which evidentaly everyone said they dont work would be easier just to buy a cheap 4 slot mobo?

just looking at scan look at something am2+ and 4 slots...not very expensive at all

Oh and btw i did notcie a slight improvement when playing crysis. I used to have 1gig of ram and randomly stuck my 8gig usb stick in and set the readyboost to max, i think it looked slightly smoother
    Last edited by Georgy291; 08-09-2009 at 09:21 AM. Reason: crysis
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduckUK View Post
    now that i think about the word "throttled" in a certain light... its not so far different to strangled really

our boiler broke so we has no heating or hot water, this is the bloody result ^^

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Georgy291 View Post
    surely if your mobo doesnt suport up to 4gig of ram. rather than comeing up with crafty solutions like this, which evidentaly everyone said they dont work would be easier just to buy a cheap 4 slot mobo?
    Georgy, are you serious comparing spending £5 on a USB stick and just sticking it into the front of your computer with spending £80 on a new motherboard, £80 on a new OEM OS, rebuilding your computer from scratch and reinstalling everything, and then concluding that readyboost is the harder/more expensive option?

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Still, netbooks and the occasional oddball chipset/motherboard, do not a majority make
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rushholme View Post
    You're wrong. The G31 chipset, for example, cannot use more than 4GB no matter what the O/S is.

In practice it can address between 3 and 3.5GB, depending on the size of GFX card memory and, to a lesser extent other installed hardware .

I have installed the 64-bit Win7 RTM and I get 3.1GB usable with 4GB DDR2.

I reinstalled the 32-bit version for now as it has slightly better compatibility for gaming (I think).
    If the majority of people out there are running P31, G31 boards then I'm happy to admit I'm wrong. In reality, I think "most" people buy the best board they can realistically afford for the purpose they need, rather than the cheapest one they can find that will struggle to do what they want.

These P31 boards were designed for cheap lightweight systems - so why people are trying to run a 64-bit OS on them I've no idea. Using a Readyboost compatible USB stick may offer some improvement in these situations, but frankly I really can't see why the majority of people running a restricted motherboard want (or expect) to use high end applications requiring a 64-bit OS and lots of RAM.

For the small number of cases where Readyboost makes a difference, Microsoft should have invested their efforts elsewhere.
    I for one was hoping that with Windows 7 there would be support to install different parts of the OS (eg. Programs, Windows update folder, etc) onto different drives to make the most of SSDs and RAM and HD drives. It's not difficult and LINUX has been able to do this for years.

Thanks
    • rushholme's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabertooth 55i
      • CPU:
      • i5 760 @ 4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB 1600mhz DDR3
      • Storage:
      • OCZ Vertex 2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 460 1gb
      • PSU:
      • 650W Coolermaster
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64
      • Internet:
      • 20MB

Quote Originally Posted by darkghost View Post
    I for one was hoping that with Windows 7 there would be support to install different parts of the OS (eg. Programs, Windows update folder, etc) onto different drives to make the most of SSDs and RAM and HD drives. It's not difficult and LINUX has been able to do this for years.
    That would have been good!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Georgy291 View Post

just looking at scan look at something am2+ and 4 slots...not very expensive at all

Oh and btw i did notcie a slight improvement when playing crysis. I used to have 1gig of ram and randomly stuck my 8gig usb stick in and set the readyboost to max, i think it looked slightly smoother
    I'd say probably co-incidence or it just looked better because you expected it to - games generally cache what they need in main RAM and load stuff from the HDD well in advance or on a load screen. I could see readyboost possibly making a difference in load times but you have 6GB of RAM and no game I know of uses anywhere near that much RAM.

It's not really a poorman's upgrade because as mentioned a half decent flash drive with a high enough capacity will cost a fair bit so you might as well buy some proper RAM. If you have an older system that is swapping to the HDD a lot (I have the PF on a second drive on a computer and it spins down after a bit because it's just not used really) and upgrading memory isn't an option and if you have a flash drive lying round then it's worth a shot. Really though if you have a system that can't support 2GB RAM it's probably an XP system which copes fine with that much. 2GB or more though and the effect of Readyboost is negligible in most cases.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

I think i'm going to have to try this out on my portable laptop, been sony they refuse to admit the memory stick duo is a pointless format, and as a result I never use that reader really.

So now if only i could buy a memory card for it that didn't cost the earth and had good performance characteristics it could be very helpful as it only supports 2 gig o ram.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks

One thing with that though some card readers only support using one card at a time so make sure to check before buying one if you plan to leave it in.

Thanks
    • Syllopsium's system
      • Motherboard:
      • D975XBX2
      • CPU:
      • Q6700
      • Memory:
      • 8GB ECC DDR2 667
      • Storage:
      • 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX and 7600GT - four monitors
      • PSU:
      • 600W Seasonic S12
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Stacker
      • Operating System:
      • Vista x64, OpenBSD
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 IBM C220p 22" CRT, one 17" VP730 TFT, one Zalman Trimon 19" 3D monitor
      • Internet:
      • 12Mb Be Internet

I'd be very careful about this, as some of the ReadyBoost capable flash drives do not run at a consistent speed. I tried it with Vista SP1 x64 when I was running with 4GB a while back.

Windows identified the flash drive as valid and seemed to work, but a few weeks on after re-purposing the flash drive to transfer data the copying of data started fine but then slowed to a crawl.

In theory, it's quite a good idea. In practice I think you might run into problems.

I just whacked in another 4GB, but obviously not all chipsets support >4GB.

For what it's worth, I was trying with a Kingston 2GB readyboost stick. Obviously I wouldn't recommend it..

PK

Thanks
    • rushholme's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabertooth 55i
      • CPU:
      • i5 760 @ 4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB 1600mhz DDR3
      • Storage:
      • OCZ Vertex 2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 460 1gb
      • PSU:
      • 650W Coolermaster
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64
      • Internet:
      • 20MB

When proper reviews of 7 come out we'll see if Readyboost makes any difference.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information