Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Why 2 x PCI-E but no SLI?

  1. #1
    Registered+
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    38
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Why 2 x PCI-E but no SLI?

    Hi all. This board has two PCI-E slots but is not SLI or Crossfire and I have no idea why!

    Would anyone be kind enough to explain?

    Thank you very much

    Ash

    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/MSI-P...-SATA-RAID-ATX

  2. #2
    Registered+
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    38
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Why 2 x PCI-E but no SLI?

    Sorry, figured it out. One is PCI-E and one is PCI-E x4.

    With that being the case... anyone care to lament on the benefits of PCI-E x4??

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    289
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    20 times in 20 posts
    • LegacyOne's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4
      • CPU:
      • Intel® Core™ i7 860
      • Memory:
      • 4GB (2x2GB) Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz CAS 9-9-9-24 XMP
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gainward GTX 295 V2 1792MB
      • PSU:
      • Thermaltake Toughpower 650W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master WaveMaster

    Re: Why 2 x PCI-E but no SLI?

    It does support CrossFire but in x16 and x4 mode.
    http://eu.msi.com/index.php?func=pro...1&prod_no=1261
    Scan can't list everything correctly even other hardware buying sites get things wrong if you want to know the full and correct spec's of any thing go to the maker.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Pob255's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The land of Brum
    Posts
    9,945
    Thanks
    572
    Thanked
    1,196 times in 1,099 posts
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • PhenomII x4 955 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 250gb SATA Westerndigital + 500gb samsung +1tb Samsung
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX560ti CuII
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet E9 680w
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 21" ips something

    Re: Why 2 x PCI-E but no SLI?

    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyOne View Post
    It does support CrossFire but in x16 and x4 mode.
    http://eu.msi.com/index.php?func=pro...1&prod_no=1261
    Scan can't list everything correctly even other hardware buying sites get things wrong if you want to know the full and correct spec's of any thing go to the maker.
    Although makers can be bad as well, if not worse.

    Nothing like trying to find a product by it's model number only to find it's not listed.
    Infact that is an almost constant headache. You make the damn stuff! At least list it! and for the love of god, Stop using these retarded search systems, heck using google to search the website is better.

    But yes I have that motherboard, for £46 it's a decent board, overclocks well.
    ok it's only pci-e 1.0 so I'd not consider crossfire on it. however if you want a 2nd graphics card, say to, run an additional desktop monitor pci-e 1.0 x4 is fine.
    If you really want crossfire then look at a p45 chipset at least

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    319
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    10 times in 10 posts

    Re: Why 2 x PCI-E but no SLI?

    Quote Originally Posted by AshMcD View Post
    Hi all. This board has two PCI-E slots but is not SLI or Crossfire and I have no idea why!

    Would anyone be kind enough to explain?

    Thank you very much

    Ash

    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/MSI-P...-SATA-RAID-ATX
    P35 chipset doesn't support SLI.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    319
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    10 times in 10 posts

    Re: Why 2 x PCI-E but no SLI?

    Quote Originally Posted by AshMcD View Post
    Sorry, figured it out. One is PCI-E and one is PCI-E x4.

    With that being the case... anyone care to lament on the benefits of PCI-E x4??
    Good for high end RAID cards. That's about it.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Jumbo frames and samba (ubuntu) problem
    By SiM in forum Networking and Broadband
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-07-2009, 10:23 PM
  2. SLI or not SLI, that is the question - plus some others
    By Rev_Hill in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-09-2006, 11:36 AM
  3. To SLI or not to SLI...
    By poindextermatic in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 24-04-2006, 06:40 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22-06-2005, 09:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •