Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: not very sharp graphics with the onboard geforce4mx + LCD?

Thanks
    same happened on my CRT though when i used the onboard graphics. It's just a pap output to the VDU that's doing it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KeZZeR
    same happened on my CRT though when i used the onboard graphics. It's just a pap output to the VDU that's doing it.
    so i need to get a graphics card really?

Thanks
    Preferably yer

You can get some uber cheap graphics cards nowadays anyway. I paid £280 for mine back in the day and they cost £130 now. If you've got a budget you can stick to it whilst getting a good card which is handy.

Thanks
    no you dont need a graphics card! not unless you need faster performance... crt's get fuzzy with bad g cards as the filters (to stop interference that causes fuzziness) are crap. nvidia have had probs with this in the past. but with a LCD it cannot be fuzzy at its native resolution (in your case 1280x1024) as individual pixels cannot blur. when you use a lower resolution the reason for the image looking funny is because the lcd has to try and create that resolution out of the pixels available so what could be a 1 pixel wide line in native resolution would need to use 1.25 pixels to display the line at 1024x768... as it cant display 1.25 pixels it has to decide whether to use 1 or 2 pixels.... which is why some stuff looks blocky or fuzzy.

if you need the text etc bigger then right click on the desktop go to properties and select appearance. click on the advanced button and then select the varios texts that are visible and set them to a different size!

alternatively if its everything that is too small icons included do the same but instead of apperance choose settings then advanced and change the DPI setting bigger or smaller (cant remember which way) to make everything bigger.

hope this helps

Thanks
    • Platinum's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99 Deluxue
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 5930k @ 4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Crucial 2400MHz
      • Storage:
      • 256gb Samsung SP941, 1tb MX500 Crucial SSD, 240gb Intel 730 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 Fury OC
      • PSU:
      • 750 Watt Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Corsiar 750D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2408WFP
      • Internet:
      • 18Mb
    My TFT looked a little blurry when using the standard VGA cable, switched to the DVI cable and its perfect now
    Salazaar : <Touching wood as I write this...>

Thanks
    not sure if mine has dvi, will have a look when i get home

DR
    Thanks
    You need to run it in the native res, also if you are using analog it will look worse than DVI - trust me 100X better on DVI.

Also the GF4MX onboard Ramdac is naff - it wont look crisp, get a cheap 2nd hand addin card, run DVI and you will be MUCH happier.

Thanks
    You can get a DVI output for your shuttle that will still use the onboard GFX mate, i've got one coming this week from a guy on kustom forum (and here) for £10

Its called a Cv22 dvi output card and it goes in the AGP slot

Thanks
    UPDATE!!

ok i tried my old rad 9200 and the graphics are as sharpe as anything! totally diffrent and i must say looking fantastic... it now runs at 1280x1024 much better than it did on 1024x768... so onboard graphics do suck when using a TFT!... i'm really pleased to have it working now!

Thanks
    thats because you are now running it at native resolution...... your not doing much of a fair comparison..... 1280 x 1024 on the onboard should be ok too..... 1024 x 768 will never look good on a large tft. it is pretty much impossible for a tft to show a crappy 'fuzzy' image at native resolution as all it is doing is switching its individual pixels on and off CRT monitors however scan all the pixles any interference can cause the scanning to be a bit off hence fuzzy.

the other thing is too.... what refresh rate are you using.... 60hz should be what you use.... bearing in mind a tft doesnt flicker so you dont have to worry about eye strain.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 5teve
    thats because you are now running it at native resolution...... your not doing much of a fair comparison..... 1280 x 1024 on the onboard should be ok too..... 1024 x 768 will never look good on a large tft. it is pretty much impossible for a tft to show a crappy 'fuzzy' image at native resolution as all it is doing is switching its individual pixels on and off CRT monitors however scan all the pixles any interference can cause the scanning to be a bit off hence fuzzy.

the other thing is too.... what refresh rate are you using.... 60hz should be what you use.... bearing in mind a tft doesnt flicker so you dont have to worry about eye strain.
    i have it set on 70hz.. and before using the onbaord graphics, 1280 x 1024 looked terrible and 1024x768 was far better... but still crap!! now with the rad 9200 in the agp slot what you say 5teve is correct 1280 x 1024 looks stunning and 1024 x 768 looks crap... so i'm happy in the end but a little confused!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Sixkiller
    i have it set on 70hz.. and before using the onbaord graphics, 1280 x 1024 looked terrible and 1024x768 was far better... but still crap!! now with the rad 9200 in the agp slot what you say 5teve is correct 1280 x 1024 looks stunning and 1024 x 768 looks crap... so i'm happy in the end but a little confused!
    Happiness is all that counts!

Thanks
    true !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information