Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installing a Sata hard drive

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by myth
    Must be a Intel thing...
    Have done a bit of research on this problem and it does seem to be dependent on how new your bios is as some of the older bios's dont support this function and therefore you have to press F6 and insert your driver floppy disk if you are lucky enough to have been supplied one by the hard drive supplier.
    Hope this helps to sort out any confusion as to why some can install sata drives and some cant.

Thanks
    Its more then that, even though the sata is on chip theres no native suport... hence why drivers are needed.... I have gone threw all of the latest intel chips and not one reconized the controler! The drivers are not so the drive gets reconized as you all may think! Its so the controler is found by windows... Once you load the sata drivers the controler is found, then the control can find the drive... The brand of the hard drive makes no difference either...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by myth

Ok, so yous mean to tell me you stuck a new Sata hard drive in you PC and stuck the XP cd in the rom drive and instaled a fresh copy of windows with out hiting F6? You didnt already have windows on it... right? Am I the only one here who has to hit F6?
    No, I also have to do this. Look, SATA hard drives were not on the market when XP came out. If you have a copy (or purchased version) of XP from the 2001 timeframe, then YOU WILL NEED TO PUSH F6. Period. Keeping that in mind, if you have purchased XP since the introduction of SATA, or the copy you have was made from a purchased disc of a newer timeframe, then you may not have to, as MS may have altered XP to include drivers (almost the same as them slipstreaming the service packs onto the newer discs).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information