Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which Motherboard for AMD FX60?

Registered+
    Thanks
    We haven't had any support issues with the DFI boards as yet. We do not send our systems out overclocked as standard. This is because we are primarily a Gaming PC company and the systems handling gaming with no problems without overclocking. We do offer overclocking as an optional extra and run tests on each system to make sure the settings are stable. Backing up the stable settings is included in the optional price for overclocking. Obviously, if you know about overclocking you wouldn't be purchasing it as an optional extra. ;o)

Going back to support issues, we've only ever had trouble with the Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe with which we've seen quite a few faulty North Bridge chip fans. As a result, we moved to the Premium and also the DFI Lanparty boards.

At the moment we aren't running any servers but this may change very soon. Quite a few clans have also approached us for sponsorship so we are looking into this as a whole new avenue of the business.

I'm a big BF2 fan myself, not getting alot of time to play these days though, only made it to Sergeant. The reason we have the sniper on the website is because we use BF2 as one of our test games.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TunnelRat
    Perks of being Managing Director of a gaming PC company mate. I probably won't keep the FX60 but I'll certainly put it through it's paces and run my own tests.
    heheheh, you lucky git!

Should be fun, they seem to reach 3ghz nicely, which is pretty awesome, DC 3ghz.

Storm, you are again so wrong, but i really can't be arsed anymore.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by herulach
    You think that AMD went through design and marketing on a chip to sell it only to people who use phase change and and expensive low temp chemicals to cool their chip? What? All 5 or 6 thousand of them?
    WTF are you talking about? An FX is identical to an Athlon 64 except that it's multiplier is unlocked. There was no special engineering involved.

XPS=DELL=Intel

Dell can't use AMD CPUs, which is one of the reasons they suck IMO.

No overclocker would be interested in this chip. The only people that will buy it are people with way more money than brains, basically the same people who would buy a Celeron from a computer knowledge standpoint.

Believe me Smokester when I tell you, nobody's arsing!
    Last edited by StormPC; 11-01-2006 at 05:01 PM.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish
    Quote Originally Posted by StormPC
    The only people that will buy it are people with way more money than brains, basically the same people who would buy a Celeron from a computer knowledge standpoint.

Believe me Smokester when I tell you, nobody's arsing!
    Did you read my comment about game developers? What do you do when you need to test a game on tommorows mainstream hardware? The market is moving towards dual-core and developers need to have something available, guarenteed and stable, that will allow them to test what they are making for tommorows market.

The previous FX chips were only single core thus not representative of tommorows market. The previous X2 chips mostly represent todays or the very near future market. By using the new FX60 you combine both and have an estimate to where tommorows mainstream dual core chips will be at performance-wise. All without having to overclock with all the heat, risk and warrenty voiding that that involves, not to mention the dev time setting such a thing up which could be better spent creating content.

Thanks
    As I said before, the FX-60 is nothing more than a high quality X2 with an unlocked multi. Why do you not understand this? Maybe it is you who didn't read.

A 3800+ X2 @2600 MHz will destroy a stock FX-60 because to get a 3800+ to 2600 MHz you have to raise the HTT to 260. The RAM will likely be running faster than 200 MHz so it will beat the stock FX-60.

Why do all of you gamer types seem to not understand that dual-core CPUs (as with all other powerful CPUs) are completely wasted on games? You understand this sentence, as well as the sentence "Today's games are all about the videocard", but you don't seem to connect the dots. People want what they want no matter what I guess. Cracks me up!
    Last edited by StormPC; 11-01-2006 at 05:31 PM.

Thanks
    Why is it every time Storm gets inbto the d/c vs single core debate it gets like this?

Also why is it all others have said: yes its good, a bit of a waste of money but dual corew is the future??

Ah well
    Check my project <<| Black3D |>>
    Quote Originally Posted by hexah
    Games are developed by teams of talented people and sometimes electronic arts

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kempez815
    Why is it every time Storm gets inbto the d/c vs single core debate it gets like this?

Also why is it all others have said: yes its good, a bit of a waste of money but dual corew is the future??

Ah well
    Could it be that everyone here is a gamer? That's the only thing I can come up with to explain the apparent inability to comprehend my words.

You guys need to put down the joystick once in awhile and read something other than review sites who do nothing but tell you where to spend your money so their advertisers and suppliers will become even richer.

Nox
    Vorsprung durch Technik
    Thanks
    • Nox's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Yes
      • CPU:
      • Yes
      • Memory:
      • Yes
      • Storage:
      • Yes
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Yes
      • PSU:
      • Yes
      • Case:
      • Yes
      • Monitor(s):
      • Yes
      • Internet:
      • Yes
    A 3800+ X2 @2600 MHz will destroy a stock FX-60 because to get a 3800+ to 2600 MHz you have to raise the HTT to 260. The RAM will likely be running faster than 200 MHz so it will beat the stock FX-60
    But the slower ram will have tighter timings to help compensate. Swings & roundabouts... And to be quite honest, I doubt anyone who buys a FX60 will keep it stock. Out of curiosity what is the mem bandwidth of DDR@ 250-260? Sandra will do if anyones got theirs clocked in that region. I want to compare mine that is running tight timings instead of high FSB (which it won't do) and I still want to know what bandwith decent DDR2 has!!!

Nox

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nox
    Out of curiosity what is the mem bandwidth of DDR@ 250-260? Sandra will do if anyones got theirs clocked in that region. I want to compare mine that is running tight timings instead of high FSB (which it won't do) and I still want to know what bandwith decent DDR2 has!!!

Nox
    My OCZ 4000 running at 250-260 has a bandwidth of just over 7000 using sandra - timings need a bit of tweaking as I swapped to the SLI-DR but haven't really had the time to play with it. On the K8N Neo4 the bandwidth was about 7200 at 260ish, cas 2.5 at all times.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nox
    But the slower ram will have tighter timings to help compensate. Swings & roundabouts... And to be quite honest, I doubt anyone who buys a FX60 will keep it stock. Out of curiosity what is the mem bandwidth of DDR@ 250-260? Sandra will do if anyones got theirs clocked in that region. I want to compare mine that is running tight timings instead of high FSB (which it won't do) and I still want to know what bandwith decent DDR2 has!!!

Nox
    Indeed. People who buy this chip, will mostly be hardcore enthusiats, the type over at XS, doing mad overclocks.

Storm i really do love your posts. A 3800+ will destroy a FX-60 at stock. LMAO! Do you know how much impact memory bandwith has on actual performance? basically zip, but it matters for your really important 3dmark 2001. Not to mention the FX-60 has the full 1Mb cache each core, that makes a bigger impact.

Please, leave like you did before xmas, your full of so much ****.

How many benchmarks do you need to see that prove Dual Core is taking off, hell ATI and Nvidia have said so themselves, they are making DC optimized drivers ya n00b.

No doubt the FX-60 is extremely overpriced and most people won't go near one, but those who do, will get a kick ass CPU, and it should overclock nicely, tust as good as a FX-57.

Nox
    Vorsprung durch Technik
    Thanks
    • Nox's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Yes
      • CPU:
      • Yes
      • Memory:
      • Yes
      • Storage:
      • Yes
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Yes
      • PSU:
      • Yes
      • Case:
      • Yes
      • Monitor(s):
      • Yes
      • Internet:
      • Yes
    Thanks Kushibari, thats put mine in a fairly good light considering they are 1GB sticks, i'm getting around 6.6k when pushing them, but the extra 0.1V makes them too hot to touch compared to 'just warm' so tend to run them slower most of the time.

Nox

Thanks
    • sawyen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Laptop motherboard
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 740QM
      • Memory:
      • 8192MB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 256GB SSD, 1TB WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD Mobility HD 5870
      • PSU:
      • MSI stuff
      • Case:
      • N/A
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin ADSL rubbish
    why are we discussing this again? The guy just asked for some pointers for a motherboard... Why get all DC/SC involved?? The last time we had this conversation, it ended up the same way.. long faces and a lot less civilised.

Storm, instead of saying who suck or wat sort, a simple.. 'Im not buying into those dual core hype' should suffice or even 'I wouldnt buy FX-60.. really..' would have got the point over PERIOD..

I just dun get why is there so much rage in all ur post? Probably just the way u speak I suppose.. Dun mind me, I'm not going to say nothing about DC today.
    Me want Ultrabook

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey21
    . A 3800+ will destroy a FX-60 at stock. LMAO! Do you know how much impact memory bandwith has on actual performance? basically zip, but it matters for your really important 3dmark 2001. Not to mention the FX-60 has the full 1Mb cache each core, that makes a bigger impact.
    Actually I suspect that there will be very little in it.
    Both will have the same corespeed, the FX-60 will gain some from the additional cache but the 3800+ system will gain some performance from the faster external clock.
    Synthetic tests will probably show some difference but in real world apps I dooubt that you could tell the difference.
    Of course the guy with the 3800 would have £400 still in his wallet ...

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media
    As I said before, the FX-60 is nothing more than a high quality X2 with an unlocked multi. Why do you not understand this? Maybe it is you who didn't read.

A 3800+ X2 @2600 MHz will destroy a stock FX-60 because to get a 3800+ to 2600 MHz you have to raise the HTT to 260. The RAM will likely be running faster than 200 MHz so it will beat the stock FX-60.

Why do all of you gamer types seem to not understand that dual-core CPUs (as with all other powerful CPUs) are completely wasted on games? You understand this sentence, as well as the sentence "Today's games are all about the videocard", but you don't seem to connect the dots. People want what they want no matter what I guess. Cracks me up!
    Comparing overclocked vs stock processors is hardly fair though, i dare say my cpu at 2.6Ghz would come close in games to an FX60, that isnt the point though is it? Also, you forgot the fact that the FX has double the cache (i think, unless theyve changed the 3800 since i last looked)

AS far as XPS, i meant the kind of people that go for that kind of system, not neccesarily an XPS. Also, a new chip type still requires marketing, and will require a non trivial investment in checking the silicon and unlocking the multi.

I wouldnt class myself as a 'Gamer type' (about 60% of my PC time is spent doing simulations), however even so, the way you seem to have it stuck in your head that there is no point in having dual core there isnt much point in arguing with you. If youre so confident that an X2 can hit 2.6Ghz then whats the disadvantage? Surely by the same logic you used above a 3800 X2 will kick an FX55 too? (and no one claim that 200 mhz warrants a 50% price premium)
    Last edited by herulach; 11-01-2006 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Make it a bit less flamy

Thanks
    I'm a gamer, avid overclocker AND occassional power user so I use my CPU for all sorts of stuff.

Storm just doesn't listen, read or use sense when reading other people's posts. If he doesn't agree then your wrong

Check my project <<| Black3D |>>
    Quote Originally Posted by hexah
    Games are developed by teams of talented people and sometimes electronic arts

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sawyen
    why are we discussing this again? The guy just asked for some pointers for a motherboard... Why get all DC/SC involved?? The last time we had this conversation, it ended up the same way.. long faces and a lot less civilised.

Storm, instead of saying who suck or wat sort, a simple.. 'Im not buying into those dual core hype' should suffice or even 'I wouldnt buy FX-60.. really..' would have got the point over PERIOD..

I just dun get why is there so much rage in all ur post? Probably just the way u speak I suppose.. Dun mind me, I'm not going to say nothing about DC today.
    I guess everyone is turning to the dark side and becoming Beasts!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information