Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vista going to be a flop like the PlayStation 3 and Windows millennium?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aidanjt View Post
    I know, well not in massive enough quanities, but when broken drivers and applications piss enough people off we should get a good few more :/
    IN relation to what? The number of PC users in the world?

I dont think so, I'd love it to happen but it won't. windows users won't be drawn away to Linux unless they're proper PC experts: and even then it's sometimes a struggle to get it to do what you want (for those of us not amazing at coding )
    Check my project <<| Black3D |>>
    Quote Originally Posted by hexah
    Games are developed by teams of talented people and sometimes electronic arts

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable
    OpenSuSE isn't much of a struggle to do anything really. And all the distros and supporting projects are steadily improving as they're getting more and more developers. Linux is steadily growing in popularity, I dont think it's wise to underestimate how important it's becoming.

KDE4 will be go stable later this year, and it'll be an important step in a lot of ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish
    Having your consumer rights being stripped from you isn't a put off?
    How is purchasing Vista to run alongside XP going to strip my consumer rights exactly?

Thanks
    OpenSuSE isn't much of a struggle to do anything really. And all the distros and supporting projects are steadily improving as they're getting more and more developers. Linux is steadily growing in popularity, I dont think it's wise to underestimate how important it's becoming.
    Agreed Linux support is getting better and yes easier to use.

However if I gave my Mum and Dad Linux then I'd be on the phone 24/7 helping them use it.

Another problem is that the big manufacturers don't bother releasing driver updates anyway near as frequesnt as they do for XP, meaning that early adopters like me get left in the cold and so tend to not bother trying.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable
    Dual booting? joy

Vista (Ultimate &#163;364) = DRM + restrictive EULA + broke drivers & apps + some more purdy eyecandy.

Great value.
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable
    Quote Originally Posted by kempez View Post
    Another problem is that the big manufacturers don't bother releasing driver updates anyway near as frequesnt as they do for XP, meaning that early adopters like me get left in the cold and so tend to not bother trying.
    I know the feeling, I got myself an X-Fi this Christmas and I've no ALSA drivers, CL says they're gonna release drivers for ALSA around Feburary, but I wont hold my breath

Don't see how it takes over a year to write ALSA drivers, especially for a big company like CL.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish
    Dual booting? joy
    It is usually.. Seriously it's no hardship to set up at all - just install Vista the same computer that has XP and it should give you the option to dual boot automatically.

DRM.. *shrugs* it's just as much a problem for any other operating system. Personally I just use a stand alone DVD player under my TV.

$$$ and EULA - the OEM is cheap and has the same EULA as XP.

Borken drivers - er.. anything new has driver problems - if I'm still using XP I'll just use that for anything not yet supported. In time Vista will have better driver support than XP, same as XP has better support than 98.

Thanks
    EULA = not that restrictive (no worse than XP really). Agreed Lniux would serve you better with no horrible EULA, but this is a Commercial OS after all - they want to make money.

Broken drivers and apps? It's not out yet is it? Same as new (not even out) stuff everywhere...it needs a bit of time to get stuff working.

DRM isn't exactly in force at this time and when it (if) does it'll be big time and a lot of stuff is going to be DRM'd. Having said this the future of DRM is looking a bit dodge with some very big companies starting non-DRM services. Not that that will stop it but hey.

I'm not a massive fan of MS by any means but this is bordering on rabid and dogmatic

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte DS4 965p Revision 2
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 4gig DDR 800 (C4)
      • Storage:
      • two 320gig Seagate Barracudas, and one 750 gig Seagate Barracuda (7200.10) and a 750gig same brand.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Apple Cinema Display 20"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media - Slow, expensive rip off, Indian customer service. Great choice eh? :C
    IN relation to what? The number of PC users in the world?

I dont think so, I'd love it to happen but it won't. windows users won't be drawn away to Linux unless they're proper PC experts: and even then it's sometimes a struggle to get it to do what you want (for those of us not amazing at coding )
    Also, I use my PC mostly for games and some games require XP (or Vista) to run. I also have some software for work, which probably wouldn't run on Linux.

Splash
    However if I gave my Mum and Dad Linux then I'd be on the phone 24/7 helping them use it.
    You might be surprised. I gave my parents their first PC just over a year ago and installed SuSE on it. Yes, there were the inevitable queries but none more than I would have expected had they had Windows installed - I think the key here is that neither had really gotten to know Windows that well, so it was just an OS, rather than a whole new OS to what they were used to.

Thanks
    Vista (Ultimate &#163;364) = DRM + restrictive EULA + broke drivers & apps + some more purdy eyecandy.

Great value.
    In one thread you're shouting for the value of OEM Vista, yet in this one you appear to come across as oblivious to it's very existence.

DRM - in which way? The ones that comes with the 3rd party applications that don't exist on Linux? Just don't use them.

Broken drivers... considering the OS isn't out to consumers, it's pretty hard to complain.

And eye candy - do we mean Aero or DX10?

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable
    I'm not shouting for the value of OEM Vista, I'm saying the difference in price for the OEM and Retail packages are obsered.

DRM is built into Vista, 3rd party has nothing to do with it.

I said broken drivers & applications, everything is broke on it exect the wonderful OOBE.

I was refering to Aero, (DX10 should be made available for WinXP users, clearly M$ want to force everyone to Vista ASAP).

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU
    I said broken drivers & applications, everything is broke on it exect the wonderful OOBE.
    Define everything - i'm just curious as pretty much everything i'm using works 100% fine. The exception is directory opus which has glitches..
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Thanks
    Yep everything works fine for me here too. If Vista detects it isn't compatible you can run it in "compatible" mode which seems to work fine, no problems

Thanks
    I'm not shouting for the value of OEM Vista, I'm saying the difference in price for the OEM and Retail packages are obsered.
    It's a fully working platform which you only need buy once. It's absurd for you, as you obviously wouldn't upgrade as much as some others, but is that to say it's absurd for us all? The retail option will be cheaper for me for instance, so how is that a rip off?

DRM is built into Vista, 3rd party has nothing to do with it.
    Only for HD content, and even then if your system is incapable of rendering HD through the fully compliant means, it will revert to a lower resolution for that content (namely HD content over standard VGA). What will be interesting is how Linux will cope with it.

Eh? On Vista? The only thing which doesn't work for me is the Adobe automatic updates for Creative Suite 2 (which can of course be run manually once the updates have been downloaded from the folder you choose). The only device of mine which doesn't work is my scanner, which is a no-brand model from around 2002 which was handed down to me.

I was refering to Aero, (DX10 should be made available for WinXP users, clearly M$ want to force everyone to Vista ASAP).
    DX10 shouldn't be available for XP. It just wouldn't work. It would have to be emulated and unless you've got a couple of 20GHz processors hidden under your 'my system', then it's not going to work, let alone the development costs (which would reflect in the prices of the other OS inflating yet more) needed. I don't mind moaning if it was all for nothing, but this will allow for a much more efficient graphical subsystem, and that can only be a good thing. Of course, the majority of titles supporting DX10 will also run in DX9, and as such, XP.

Aero is optional and the hardware needed to run it equally so.

Far Superior To Meths EvilWeevil's Avatar
    Thanks
    • EvilWeevil's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5W-DH Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
      • Memory:
      • 2GB (2x1GB) Corsair XMS-2 PC2-6400
      • Storage:
      • 320GB Caviar, 320GB DiamondMax 10, 400GB Spinpoint, 1TB MyBook External
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus EAX1900XT
      • PSU:
      • OCZ GameXStream 700W
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-G70B
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WFP
      • Internet:
      • Homechoice/Tiscali 8 down/1 up
    There seem to be plenty of people under the delusion that the main difference between Xp and Vista is how it looks. It's had a complete architecture overhaul under the bonnet. Vista isn't an Xp addon, it's been built pretty much from the ground up.

Re: DRM - It better to be able to play content with the inconvenience of DRM than to not be able to play it at all. If there's DRM'ed content available, Vista will need to have DRM to play it. It's plain and simply - the DRM in Vista is adding CAPABILITY not restriction. It's not like the plain, non-DRM content is going to be affected.

Compatibility: All my hardware and software has worked absolutely fine, and I'd hardly call it bloatware - The "Fridge" as listed in my sig runs Vista smoothly, without hiccups, with Aero on a 2GHz Sempron with 512MB of crap RAM and a 25 quid ( a year ago) graphics card. I doubt many people expecting to run Vista have lower specs than that. So maybe Vista could be a little smaller and a little more resources-friendly, but there's no need for it to be.

EULA: Microsoft, at the request of hobbyists and enthusiast have said in the EULA that the whole new mobo = new computer deal won't restrict the user - as many machines as they like as long as they deactivate and reactivate. And you can't say fairer than that.

And finally - calling Microsft M$ is somewhat silly. They are a huge international corporation. Of course they exist to make money. I'm happy to pay for an OS which will use the hardware I want efficiently and reliably. And so far, even before release, Vista has done that for me.

My DeviantArt | tomhendriks.co.uk | Need something (reasonable) hosted? PM me!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information