Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vista going to be a flop like the PlayStation 3 and Windows millennium?

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte DS4 965p Revision 2
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 4gig DDR 800 (C4)
      • Storage:
      • two 320gig Seagate Barracudas, and one 750 gig Seagate Barracuda (7200.10) and a 750gig same brand.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Apple Cinema Display 20"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media - Slow, expensive rip off, Indian customer service. Great choice eh? :C
    Quote Originally Posted by this_is_gav View Post
    The retail option will be cheaper for me for instance, so how is that a rip off?
    Theres also the upgrade from XP cost which is cheaper.

And these are the brand new Vista prices. That always drops quite a lot over time.

Thanks
    From my point of view Vista is just one big headache. But so was XP when it was released.

Plus Vista will only be officially supported on the latest abit boards. It surprised me that so many people tried to run the full version of vista on socket A motherboards.

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU
    Quote Originally Posted by ABIT Sean View Post
    From my point of view Vista is just one big headache. But so was XP when it was released.
    Well look at it this way - you've had a holiday for a few years thanks to MS

Plus Vista will only be officially supported on the latest abit boards. It surprised me that so many people tried to run the full version of vista on socket A motherboards.
    Well any company can only support a product so long - but how short is your support period?
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilWeevil View Post
    There seem to be plenty of people under the delusion that the main difference between Xp and Vista is how it looks. It's had a complete architecture overhaul under the bonnet. Vista isn't an Xp addon, it's been built pretty much from the ground up.
    No it hasn't, it's had rewrites in areas of code that were inherently crap to begin with. Microsoft would never go to the expense of rewritting something from the ground up, dispite how flawed their designs are.

And they still havn't bothered their arse coming up with a package manager.

Re: DRM - It better to be able to play content with the inconvenience of DRM than to not be able to play it at all. If there's DRM'ed content available, Vista will need to have DRM to play it. It's plain and simply - the DRM in Vista is adding CAPABILITY not restriction. It's not like the plain, non-DRM content is going to be affected.
    how about don't use DRM content at all?.. then the record labels and the RIAA will have no option but to not rob you of your consumer rights and civil liberties.

Compatibility: All my hardware and software has worked absolutely fine, and I'd hardly call it bloatware - The "Fridge" as listed in my sig runs Vista smoothly, without hiccups, with Aero on a 2GHz Sempron with 512MB of crap RAM and a 25 quid ( a year ago) graphics card. I doubt many people expecting to run Vista have lower specs than that. So maybe Vista could be a little smaller and a little more resources-friendly, but there's no need for it to be.
    'fine' and properly are two different things.
    I didn't say Vista was bloated, I just don't think glossy effects are all that great, eyecandy gets old quickly.

EULA: Microsoft, at the request of hobbyists and enthusiast have said in the EULA that the whole new mobo = new computer deal won't restrict the user - as many machines as they like as long as they deactivate and reactivate. And you can't say fairer than that.
    Wrong, Microsoft was going to release Vista Retail with nearly an identical EULA as the OEM, but people freaked out about not being able to upgrade their motherboards with retail so Microsoft changed their mind. I guess the bods at Microsoft thought &#163;240 more was worth a slightly more relaxed EULA.

And finally - calling Microsft M$ is somewhat silly. They are a huge international corporation. Of course they exist to make money. I'm happy to pay for an OS which will use the hardware I want efficiently and reliably. And so far, even before release, Vista has done that for me.
    The only reason Windows has better hardware compatability is because Microsoft hates competition and scorns their partners for playing nice with Linux. And Microsoft has earned their M$ nickname for caring more about profits than their customers, the only reason for Microsoft even bothered with major design changes in Vista was because they're starting to lose customers with the millions of viruses previlant with Windows to Linux. Which of course doesn't even need a virus scanner. Oh, and the cracks in IE7 are already showing, so much for that effort.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Splash
    Methinks your wording here is a tad misleading... Perhaps "Abit will only support Vista on their latest boards" is more accurate? Also I did have Vista running happily on my socket A system, no reason it shouldn't.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aidanjt View Post
    The only reason for Microsoft even bothered with major design changes in Vista was because they're starting to lose customers with the millions of viruses previlant with Windows to Linux. Which of course doesn't even need a virus scanner.
    In 2002-3 that would have rung true, but MS couldn't give a damn about losing 20-30 people a week to Linux. The mass flow (if you can call it that) of sheep from MS to Linux stopped long ago, and is now just a trickle. Basically, the people who felt that Linux could do what they needed reached it's peek, and now it's only really people who's finding that their needs now suit Linux (rather than the other way around) who are 'defecting'.

It's the other 'nix that MS are more worried about - Apple are resurgent at the moment, and while even that isn't much of a concern to Microsoft, it's easily the biggest rival, and on more than 1 front.

Why should the operating system I use be dependant on whether I get support? That's not mentioned anywhere in any motherboard manual or EULA I've ever seen. Are you suggesting that Linux users are immune to ABIT support?
    Last edited by this_is_gav; 03-01-2007 at 05:46 PM.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable
    No, the flow of Linux converts is still increasing, figures as high as 100% increase of users by next year are flowing around news sites. Maybe it's a generious estimate from whoever's figures they were reporting about. But it clearly shows that Linux is still building momentum, not as you suggest, 'trickling'.
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Registered+
    Thanks
    No, the flow of Linux converts is still increasing, figures as high as 100% increase of users by next year are flowing around news sites. Maybe it's a generious estimate from whoever's figures they were reporting about. But it clearly shows that Linux is still building momentum, not as you suggest, 'trickling'.
    Must admit, i agree with this. I have noticed more and more people moving to Ubuntu - especially with the fact that there are computer magazines putting it on their front cover as well.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable
    Lets face it, we don't use Windows because it's the best thing since sliced bread, we use it because everyone else uses it. Microsoft has deviated so far from the UNIX way of doing things that it makes porting applications a pain in the ass, thus not every company is willing to support Linux.

I have no real choice about not using Windows, I merely tollerate it because I need it for gaming and my college course requires it.

Thanks
    Trickling was a poor choice of words chosen purely for effect, but Linux is certainly not commanding the converts it was back in 2002 or so, when every single technology magazine on the planet had some Linux distribution on a CD.

Of course people are still converting, but it's simply not true that momentum is still building. Support is, and end users are still moving, but the graph is no doubt flattening out.

Linux doesn't appeal to a wide audience - partly because some people simply can't do what they want to do on it, but mainly because it's a foreign world to most, the majority of which won't even have heard of it.

Unix is extremely good at many things - its very flexibility makes it especially good for dedicated tasks - but it's not ideal for everyone, and while there's nothing (that springs to mind immediately) that you can do on Unix-based system that you can't on a MS one, the reverse often doesn't apply.

I'm not getting into a Linux bashing thread anyway. I use it, and it's brilliant for what I do with it, but that's not what this thread is about, and we've already strayed plenty far as it is.

Thanks
    Why should the operating system I use be dependant on nt.
    whether I get support? That's not mentioned anywhere in any motherboard manual or EULA I've ever seen. Are you suggesting that Linux users are immune to ABIT support?
    I don't mean technical support, I mean driver updates, utilities etc..

Of course we will help whatever the OS. I think we have just got to attached to XP it will be hard crossing over to a new OS.

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU
    No it hasn't, it's had rewrites in areas of code that were inherently crap to begin with. Microsoft would never go to the expense of rewritting something from the ground up, dispite how flawed their designs are.
    Sorry this is plain wrong - MS have spent a fortune and really arsed off their OEM partners by doing *just that*
    Kernel AND up there's been a heck of alot of work put into Vista (which, by all accounts, was the second iteration of development after they realised that doing what you're suggesting was going to fail rather spectacularly). XP was the basis for Vista - but only in the same sense that NT 4.0 was for XP (which in itself was a minor revision to 2000).
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish
    Sorry I missed the '&applications' bit.

Remember how XP didn't run quite a few things that did not support XP (X-wing alliance, *sniff*)? It's surely no different with Vista? I'm pretty confident that everything written to support Vista will work just fine, I'm also confident that over time the vast majority of commercial software will be written specifically with Vista support.

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU
    Trickling was a poor choice of words chosen purely for effect, but Linux is certainly not commanding the converts it was back in 2002 or so, when every single technology magazine on the planet had some Linux distribution on a CD.

Of course people are still converting, but it's simply not true that momentum is still building. Support is, and end users are still moving, but the graph is no doubt flattening out.
    The problem for Linux in recent years has been two fold - first, MS made an OS that was stable and second, they through a lot of manpower making it a deal more secure* (SP2, patches etc etc). That kind of detracts from two of the the three big appeals for the linux platform (the third being cost). Of course there's other issues - like familarity (hence Linux distros emulating the look and feel of Windows) and Windows basic entrenchment in the workplace (support, retraining costs, justifying the switch to your manager) etc.

The problem isn't linux - the problem is that Windows really isn't all that bad anymore..

* Secure as compared to all the rubbish that came before it before I get shot down in flames

Thanks
    everyone will wait a year or so for this new windows to settle down.. i.e. more game support... lol in the case of most gaming enthusiasts

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable
    Unix is extremely good at many things - its very flexibility makes it especially good for dedicated tasks - but it's not ideal for everyone, and while there's nothing (that springs to mind immediately) that you can do on Unix-based system that you can't on a MS one, the reverse often doesn't apply.
    There isn't *anything* that UNIX *cant* do as far as an operating system parigim is concerned, it's flexible design garentees that, I can't think of one thing that I can't do on Linux that I could otherwise do with Windows, gaming aside, not because of design issues, but more to do with lack of support. On the other hand, try getting windows to read a reiserfs (or whatever FS) partition, have a proper VFS, sanely handle packages, use every application as a standard user, not get riddled with viruses for using a browser, string commands together with pipes. I could churn out examples all day as to what windows doesn't do properly.
    Last edited by aidanjt; 03-01-2007 at 06:23 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information