Quote Originally Posted by 5lab
ok, so i cba reading thru all this, but i work for a department of my company which does all the stuff like move our call centres to india. the savings are stupidly big doing this, and believe it or not, agents overseas on average give BETTER service than those in this country. this is because over there working in a call center is seen as a good jobs, which graduates do as a career, where as over here it is seen as a cr*ppy job which is 2apenny, and people who cant be arsed with tesco work there. there are statistics to prove this fact, which we use to justify the expense of moving some work out there.
I have to disagree with this statement, a minority of people will of course have the 'I cant be arsed' attitude but this is the same as any job. These people dont last long in the particular job before moving on, obviously the job is not for them. My dad left a well paid office job to work as a...postman and he loves it. Its about being happy in your work and living your life.

I live in Preston (as mentioned in my sig), the staff of the local Norwich Union call centre all got made redundant. While I agree with the 'more competitive' argument I disagree about levels of service. I work for a firm which deals with floorcovering claims on behalf of insurance companies, I think an element of customer service training is needed with some staff we deal with, however the vast majority are fine, they are polite and a pleasure to work with.

If overseas staff follow everything by the book, you might as well have a recorded message, its initiative we need and a desire to help the customer. I personally think we have a lot less of this type of person in overseas call centres which I think will account for the 'bad service' reports.

Anyway rant over