View Poll Results: should weed be legalised?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! set the weed free!

52 54.17%
  • No! make users criminals!

23 23.96%
  • Yes, but only downgrade to class C

16 16.67%
  • Unsure

5 5.21%
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: legalise cannabis?

Panzer Division Marduk PanzerKnight's Avatar
    Thanks
    legalise it i say, abd i dont think its addictive at all

Thanks
    Originally posted by PanzerKnight
    legalise it i say, abd i dont think its addictive at all
    I don't think it's addiction is one of the main arguments against it, as alcohol and nicotine are both mentally and physically addictive. The main arguments against it imo is the long term damage to the brain and the rise in harder drug users.

herbalist
    Thanks
    and alcohol doesn't cause long-term brain problems? why should the government legalise two drugs that kill and are addictive (alcohol and tobacco), when other drugs are illegal? i say legalise it all, and let the people choose.

if war is the answer, then we are asking the wrong question
    2 things i hate the most - xenophobia and the french
    "chuffing"

Thanks
    Originally posted by not_your_punk
    and alcohol doesn't cause long-term brain problems?
    Originally posted by Slick
    Alcohol kills hardly any brain cells, it has bad effects on your liver etc but cannabis not only destroy's brain cells it can alter the way you think, your moods (it has been proven to cause depression) and in extreme cases can trigger schitsophrenia. Your brain is the most important part of your body as it can't be replaced and you can't live without it, if you fry it with drugs it'll take a long time to recover.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Alcohol kills hardly any brain cells, it has bad effects on your liver etc but cannabis not only destroy's brain cells it can alter the way you think, your moods (it has been proven to cause depression) and in extreme cases can trigger schitsophrenia. Your brain is the most important part of your body as it can't be replaced and you can't live without it, if you fry it with drugs it'll take a long time to recover.

Sorry to burst your bubble but when abused alcohol does cause brain damage.
    Damage includes memory loss (long term and short term) and cognitive and motor deficiencies.
    Del Lardo

|tNb| Server ==> 195.20.108.64:27020
    UK Counter Strike Server

Thanks
    Originally posted by Del Lardo
    Sorry to burst your bubble but when abused alcohol does cause brain damage.
    Damage includes memory loss (long term and short term) and cognitive and motor deficiencies.
    Note the word "hardly" and in comparison to cannabis, also I wasn't talking about it being abused, I was talking about normal use

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb
    Depends what you mean by normal use, iirc the reccomended limit for the average bloke is 25 units, if you go out and drink 25 pints once a week, which is technically normal according to the government then i'm pretty sure a few braincells would be lost.

Registered+
    Thanks
    25 units is around 12.5 pints (ish) generally a pint is 2 units. Having said that I drink Stella which makes it 10 pints/week. Yeah right

The subject of "normal use" is also very difficult. People who smoke Canabis on a daily basis should expect health problems as should people who drink alcohol (and I'm not talking about a glass of wine with your dinner). The difference is that there are a lot of people out there like myself who enjoy the occasional smoke and don't want to be branded criminals or give their money to often violent criminal gangs.
    Last edited by Del Lardo; 03-08-2003 at 01:43 AM.
    Del Lardo

UK Counter Strike Server

Thanks
    Originally posted by Knoxville
    Depends what you mean by normal use, iirc the reccomended limit for the average bloke is 25 units, if you go out and drink 25 pints once a week, which is technically normal according to the government then i'm pretty sure a few braincells would be lost.
    25 pints a week? That probably is abuse, I'm not one of those who drinks every day......I go out drinking bout once every fortnight, it probably does kill a couple of braincells but it's insignificant when in comparison to the damage long term cannabis use does to your brain.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Just out of interest when you go out for your fortnightly drink, how much do you drink??
    Del Lardo

UK Counter Strike Server

Thanks
    Just out of interest when you go out for your fortnightly drink, how much do you drink??
    lol I can't remember

Dunno, probably 15 bottles and a couple of vodka shots

I know that's bad, but I like to stack my reccomended units up

I also know it probably will kill a few braincells, but so few I am unaware of it. When I used cannabis I could definitly feel the damage it was doing to my brain, even when not on the drug. My memory (both long and short term) was terrible, I was definitly less "sharp" then before, my grades at school dropped and I had a really bad smokers cough (I didn't smoke cigarettes), these are just a few of the problems. I know alcohol does have some problems but I don't think they're any that I should be worried about (atleast not yet anyway).

Registered+
    Thanks
    Well if I remember correctly the recommended max daily intake is about 10 units.

Your intake is about 25-26 units and will certainly do damage to your brain and liver. It's probably not going to be anything you'll ever notice and hey I do a lot worse to my body

Anyway back to my main point that I've been trying to make over the last few posts. Any drug when abused will cause you serious physical and psychological problems. I certainly believe canabis should be legalised as when abused is probably no more dangerous than alcohol (and don't get me started on ciggies ). As an occasional user I have no wish to be criminalised or to fund the other illegal activities that the drug gangs get involved in.
    Del Lardo

UK Counter Strike Server

herbalist
    Thanks
    i too have no wish to be branded a criminal for smoking a plant. i also have no desire to fund terror cells or whatever by buying it. i read somewhere that more people than ever are growing their own now, and i'd love to do this. just gotto persuade the parentals, who ain't at all keen on me smoking it.

if war is the answer, then we are asking the wrong question
    2 things i hate the most - xenophobia and the french
    "chuffing"

Thanks
    Well if I remember correctly the recommended max daily intake is about 10 units.
    lol so the max is 5 pints......that'd make a good night out

Thanks
    i read somewhere that more people than ever are growing their own now, and i'd love to do this. just gotto persuade the parentals, who ain't at all keen on me smoking it.
    That'd be stupid imo, may get you free weed but if you were caught you'd be arrested with intent to supply so would more than likely be looking at serving some time. Even if it was legalised I doubt that you would be legally allowed to grow it anyway as the government would want to tax it.

i too have no wish to be branded a criminal for smoking a plant. i also have no desire to fund terror cells or whatever by buying it.
    I agree that if it was legalised it would be more safe and could be taxed instead of giving the money to criminals but I think the negatives consequences would far outweigh this.
    Last edited by Slick; 03-08-2003 at 02:26 AM.

You are feeling sleepy... acidrainy's Avatar
    Thanks
    smokers contribute a much higher amount of funding to the NHS that non-smokers do, via taxing on tobacco products. they aren't scrounging healthcare others paid for, because they pay more for it.
    Typically they take more out the heath-care as well.....

Healthy Joe can pay his tax all his life and never fall down seriously ill...
    Smokey Joe, (sorry about the name ) can Pay his Tax + his smokers Tax and has a far higher risk of requiring serious medical attention further down the line....

This is not an exact statement... Just a genrilisation...
    Not saying all smokers will take out of the NHS more than non smokers do... Just saying on paper it looks like it....

We all know what things look like on paper can differ from what we get in practice.... Happens only too often in the hardware world!

Thread Information