Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what... the... hell....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by revol68 View Post
    Another thing that bothered me was the fact the other students didn't do much, I'd like to think that if that happened here the rent a cops would have been dealing with a riot and some very sore faces.
    perhaps they are less Anarchistic than you ?
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

Thanks
    Regardless of what you say at the end of the day:

If he did as he was told (by someone who has the power to tell him what to do) and bear in mind he was told to leave because he broke the well documented rules which he agreed to live with signing up for that uni, it wouldn't have happened.

I can't feel sympathy for him. I just can't.

a scumbag, arghhhh
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Moby-Dick View Post
    perhaps they are less Anarchistic than you ?
    hmm i don't think thought out politics come into it (and i'm a libertarian communist not one of those Anarchy rulez!!111!! lot ) I think it's more basic empathy and anger at someone being treated in such away, if you saw someone doing that to a dog you'd stop them. I do reckon that atleast in Northern Ireland the "cops" would have a riot on their hands if they something like that in public with onlookers.
    "The less you eat, drink and buy books; the less you go to the theatre, the dance hall, the public house; the less you think, love, theorise, sing, paint, fence, etc., the more you save – the greater becomes your treasure which neither moths nor rust will devour – your capital. The less you are, the less you express your own life, the more you have, the greater is your alienated life, the greater is the store of your estranged being." Karl Marx

a scumbag, arghhhh
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazzlad View Post
    Regardless of what you say at the end of the day:

If he did as he was told (by someone who has the power to tell him what to do) and bear in mind he was told to leave because he broke the well documented rules which he agreed to live with signing up for that uni, it wouldn't have happened.

I can't feel sympathy for him. I just can't.
    ah right, so he broke rules and the rules are rules. I suppouse if you ever drink in the street it'd be fair enough for the cops to kick the living **** out of you? If you or a mate ever get a wee bit drunk and give some lip back to a bouncer you'll just accept getting your head stamped on? How about if you and your mates keep getting searched by the police and eventually they find one of youse with hash? Would it be okay if they just executed you there and then? Afterall if not having a library card warrants electric torture then drugs must carry a death sentence, no?

The other thing is that nearly ever student will use the library without their pass at some stage, they shouldn't expect that. There was also a racism issue about the "randomness" of the checks that had been ongoing and what seemed to be the reason the fella was gobbing off.
    "The less you eat, drink and buy books; the less you go to the theatre, the dance hall, the public house; the less you think, love, theorise, sing, paint, fence, etc., the more you save – the greater becomes your treasure which neither moths nor rust will devour – your capital. The less you are, the less you express your own life, the more you have, the greater is your alienated life, the greater is the store of your estranged being." Karl Marx

Thanks
    I do reckon that at least in Northern Ireland the "cops" would have a riot on their hands if they something like that in public with onlookers.
    but let face it , you've got a lot more practice at that - us brits can't even get civil unrest correct without some uneducated ( presumably through one too many Tasar's ) yob ruining it all
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

a scumbag, arghhhh
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Moby-Dick View Post
    but let face it , you've got a lot more practice at that - us brits can't even get civil unrest correct without some uneducated ( presumably through one too many Tasar's ) yob ruining it all
    I dunno youse done pretty good with the Poll Tax, no? Oh and kids on Electric Avenue gave the cops a good bloody nose back in the day.

Thanks
    ah right, so he broke rules and the rules are rules. I suppouse if you ever drink in the street it'd be fair enough for the cops to kick the living **** out of you? If you or a mate ever get a wee bit drunk and give some lip back to a bouncer you'll just accept getting your head stamped on? How about if you and your mates keep getting searched by the police and eventually they find one of youse with hash? Would it be okay if they just executed you there and then? Afterall if not having a library card warrants electric torture then drugs must carry a death sentence, no?

The other thing is that nearly ever student will use the library without their pass at some stage, they shouldn't expect that. There was also a racism issue about the "randomness" of the checks that had been ongoing and what seemed to be the reason the fella was gobbing off.
    Point 1)

Shock. An Asian looking man gets pulled up (CORRECTLY MAY I ADD) and plays the race card. Don't make me laugh.

Point 2)

You're not looking at it in perspective,
    "f you or a mate ever get a wee bit drunk and give some lip back to a bouncer you'll just accept getting your head stamped on?"

He was asked to leave, multiple times and refused.
    Now when a bouncer asks me to leave, I don't start arguing back, I do as he says - arguing with people in power does NOT WORK - how many football refs have you seen change their mind? None. Exactly.

"How about if you and your mates keep getting searched by the police and eventually they find one of youse with hash? Would it be okay if they just executed you there and then?"

If the Police find me with hash they're welcome to execute me.

Now this is more like it:
    "suppouse if you ever drink in the street it'd be fair enough for the cops to kick the living **** out of you?"

The Police officer would walk up to me and ask me to stop drinking, and hand him the drink (so he could pour it away).

I'd agree, he'd warn me not to do it again.

Alternatively:
    I could tell him to **** off, say he was picking on me because I'm half welsh, refuse to do anything he says, and find myself wrestled to the ground and arrested.

Causality.

I never said the fake cop didn't overreact - go back and read my post - but I did say it was easily avoidable.

Thanks
    arguing with people in power does NOT WORK - how many football refs have you seen change their mind? None. Exactly.
    The critical point here is that 'people in power' need to be accountable. Whether you have sympathy for the victim or would have done something different in this case really doesn't matter here. The degree of force used was inappropriate and the officer involved needs to be sanctioned and the victim compensated. The university is still holding its own investigation and the student has filed a law suit. The officer responsible has a history of abuse and was previously suspended from the force, this time they need to kick him off for good.

Thanks
    You mean this doesn't fit you?

Generally a smug bastard who thinks he/she knows what's best for the country but can't even take care of him/herself (i.e. they dont clean themselves, shave, or wear clothing made after 1987). They also bitch about pollution all the time, then pollute the air with marijuana smoke and their own self-righteous bull****.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by charleski View Post
    The critical point here is that 'people in power' need to be accountable. Whether you have sympathy for the victim or would have done something different in this case really doesn't matter here. The degree of force used was inappropriate and the officer involved needs to be sanctioned and the victim compensated. The university is still holding its own investigation and the student has filed a law suit. The officer responsible has a history of abuse and was previously suspended from the force, this time they need to kick him off for good.
    With all due respect, read my first post - the big one - I stated that the force was unnecessary, but that it could have and should have been easily avoided.

Thanks
    With all due respect, read my first post - the big one - I stated that the force was unnecessary, but that it could have and should have been easily avoided.
    Uh-uh, doesn't matter. The officer is responsible for his own actions and needs to make sure that they don't overstep the mark. That's the flip-side of authority in a free society - you need to be absolutely sure that you're taking the correct course of action and can justify it, otherwise you get shat on from a dizzy height (or should, at least).

Yes, you or I would have acted differently and defused the situation. But that's the officer's job, and he didn't do it. Instead of resolving the issue with the minimum of violence, he provoked further tension (the student was already walking to the door when the whole thing started) and then went nuts. Such a person is not fit to hold authority.

a scumbag, arghhhh
    Thanks
    yes it could have been very easily been avoided, the rentcops didn't have to be a completely dispicable power tripping lunatic.

Thanks
    yes it could have been very easily been avoided, the rentcops didn't have to be a completely dispicable power tripping lunatic.
    I've never disagreed with that, but I was bought up to respect authority, seems like that's no longer the "in" thing. The cop was wrong for reacting how did but none of us were there, none of us saw the start of the video so it's hard to make clear judgement - I know he didn't, but for all we know he had just pulled a knife on the officer. He may well have been extremely confrontational and aggressive (he appeared that way, but I can agree he may be reacting differently whilst in pain). We just don't know.

My thoughts are: Cop - in the wrong. Bloke - in the wrong.

Thanks
    I've cleaned up this thread a touch. Keep the personal insults out of here please. If I have to look at this thread , other than to contribute to this discussion again I may have to reach for the banhammer

Thanks
    Tazer 'em all, Moby!

/runs and hides
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

a scumbag, arghhhh
    Thanks
    I've never disagreed with that, but I was bought up to respect authority, seems like that's no longer the "in" thing. The cop was wrong for reacting how did but none of us were there, none of us saw the start of the video so it's hard to make clear judgement - I know he didn't, but for all we know he had just pulled a knife on the officer. He may well have been extremely confrontational and aggressive (he appeared that way, but I can agree he may be reacting differently whilst in pain). We just don't know.

My thoughts are: Cop - in the wrong. Bloke - in the wrong.
    LOL, yes the guy might have had a knife or a gun, jesus christ he might even have been a brazilian electrician, eh?
    I've actually seen the full length version of it so I know that the height of his aggression was to mouth off about the "Patriot Act". So you're claim of we just don't know is nonsense.

Furthermore even if we didn't know it's generally accepted that we do not invent superflous things like having guns and knives to justify what is going on, well unless you're a racist cop whose just unloaded a full clip into some poor black guy putting his keys in the door.

As for them both being wrong, well lets take this to another scenario.

Wife starts insulting her husband because she suspects he is having an affair, (for the benefit of this we will assume he isn't), she gets pretty wound up and says some harsh things.

Husband turns round and beats her to the ground, tells her to shut and everytime she swears at him he hits her again.

But yeah, sure they're both wrong.

Also we should really have it that the husband does this with all his two mates helping him.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information