Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with 2 year warranty and replacement

Registered+
    Thanks

Problems with 2 year warranty and replacement

Hi guys,

I am having some major problems with a return I made to Scan and finding the response from customer services to be appalling and it doesn't seem right based on the reputation of the company.

I bought a Gyration keyboard and mouse from Scan back in April 2009 and in late 2010, the mouse became faulty. I submitted an RMA to scan which was accepted at the start of early January.
    After not hearing anything I contact Scan and was told they had sent the item back to Gyration for repair. From that point heard nothing.

I chased this yesterday after almost 2 1/2 months and was told that they were unable to have it repaired or replaced and offered me £14+VAT (I paid over £100 originally) due to depreciation etc.

The thing is, the item is actually in stock right now:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/gyrat...oard-and-mouse

I therefore asked for a direct replacement I am being told they will not do this due to the use I have had out of the item.

I am pretty gob smacked by this as I thought a 2 year warranty meant that if the item fails within that period that it will be repaired or replaced with a new item. In this case, the item I bought is still available so surely I should receive this as a replacement?

I am quite confused by this and pretty angry as I chose to use Scan based upon their sterling reputation - especially on Hexus.net.

Am I completely wrong here, or should Scan send me a new keyboard and mouse?

It seems that the position is, if your item dies during the warranty period that you are not entitled to a replacement if you've had use out of it for a number of months. This seems ridiculous and is a massive barrier to ordering in future.

Thanks in advance,
    James.

Thanks

Re: Problems with 2 year warranty and replacement

SlingShot

The original product purchased on 24/04/2009 was the Gyration GC215 GO - GC215MCKUK

The product currently being sold is the Gyration GO - GYM1100CKUK

This is the reason why the product return cannot be replaced with the product linked to as it is a different model with a higher Buy price.

I will speak with the Returns Manager for you tomorrow so see if there is anything we can do in this instance.

Best Regards

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris P View Post
    SlingShot

The original product purchased on 24/04/2009 was the Gyration GC215 GO - GC215MCKUK

The product currently being sold is the Gyration GO - GYM1100CKUK

This is the reason why the product return cannot be replaced with the product linked to as it is a different model with a higher Buy price.

I will speak with the Returns Manager for you tomorrow so see if there is anything we can do in this instance.

Best Regards
    Hi Chris,

Thank you so much for looking into this for me. I noticed that the product number is different with the one currently in stock but it is essentially the same product - down to the design.

If you could see what you can do, even if it's an act of goodwill. I am feeling quite let down at the moment but would like to feel I can order from Scan again with confidence and continue to recommend you to my peers.
    You have always seemed like a quality and reliable company which is why this comes as quite a shock.

James.

Thanks
    • gordon861's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG STRIX Z370-F
      • CPU:
      • i7-8700k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX2070
      • Operating System:
      • Win7-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3x Benq 2760

If you bought the card via a credit card and it's still under warranty you could try claiming against the card, or at least getting the card comapny to take up the issue. The thing you need to quote to the card company is "Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974". This basically means that the Credit Card company are just as liable as the manufacturer and supplier.

Take a read and absorb the information on this page http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sho...your-purchases

But hopefully Chris will be back with some better news tomorrow.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon861 View Post
    If you bought the card via a credit card and it's still under warranty you could try claiming against the card, or at least getting the card comapny to take up the issue. The thing you need to quote to the card company is "Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974". This basically means that the Credit Card company are just as liable as the manufacturer and supplier.

Take a read and absorb the information on this page http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sho...your-purchases

But hopefully Chris will be back with some better news tomorrow.
    Thanks Gordon. I didn't actually know that, although I bought on my debit card unfortunately. Still something to bear in mind in future though.

Thanks

Payment for this order was taken through a third party payment system and therefore section 75 refund would be invalid.

Thanks
    • gordon861's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG STRIX Z370-F
      • CPU:
      • i7-8700k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX2070
      • Operating System:
      • Win7-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3x Benq 2760

Payment for this order was taken through a third party payment system and therefore section 75 refund would be invalid.
    OK, I just thought I'd point it out.

Registered+
    Thanks

Hi Chris,

Any update on my RMA?

Appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks

SlingShot

The Returns Manager has confirmed that we are unable to offer any other resolution than the market value refund as the product you have returned is End Of Life.

Sorry for any disappointment.

Best Regards

Registered+
    Thanks

SlingShot

The Returns Manager has confirmed that we are unable to offer any other resolution than the market value refund as the product you have returned is End Of Life.

Sorry for any disappointment.

Best Regards
    Hi Chris,

Thanks for getting back to me. Although I am still confused as to what the 2 year warranty actually covers. Isn't it normally the case that if a product fails in the warranty period that an equivalent replacement should be provided?
    Also, it's Gyrations 2 year manufacturers warranty - are they saying they can't provide a replacement of any kind? This all seems slightly odd to me.

James.

Thanks
    • EzyRyder's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP-35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 3.1Ghz + Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme (with AS5)
      • Memory:
      • 4GB OCZ ReaperHZ PC2-8000 5-5-5-15
      • Storage:
      • OCZ Vertex 2E 60GB + 500GB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte 460 GTX 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Tagan 480-U1
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC7 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WFP (rev 04) + Dell SoundBar AS501
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 10MB

Hi James,

I don't know if Scan do this but I know some retailers offer the market value for the item then to return the item to the manufacturers themselves and get a free, brand new replacement. Very cheeky indeed.

As an option have you tried checking with Gyration themselves?

http://www.gyration.co.uk/support.php

I would call them to be honest!

Cheers

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EzyRyder View Post
    Hi James,

I don't know if Scan do this but I know some retailers offer the market value for the item then to return the item to the manufacturers themselves and get a free, brand new replacement. Very cheeky indeed.

Cheers
    Hey there EzyRyder,

Thanks for that. I think I did check originally and was referred to the supplier but I will check again.

Would be interested to hear from Chris about how the warranty works. Still seems odd to basically lose out on an item when it's failed in the warranty period..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EzyRyder View Post
    Hi James,

Cheers
    This is NOT what SCAN does.

Regards

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
    Hi Chris,

Thanks for getting back to me. Although I am still confused as to what the 2 year warranty actually covers. Isn't it normally the case that if a product fails in the warranty period that an equivalent replacement should be provided?
    Also, it's Gyrations 2 year manufacturers warranty - are they saying they can't provide a replacement of any kind? This all seems slightly odd to me.

James.
    James,

No it is not always a replacement, a refund is an acceptable conclusion and I already emailed you the legislation which covers and verifies this.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wesleyaldred View Post
    James,

No it is not always a replacement, a refund is an acceptable conclusion and I already emailed you the legislation which covers and verifies this.
    Yes you did Wesley, but to be honest your entire tone on this has been very abrupt and far from the quality service your company is apparently recognised for. Also you just sent me a few lines without context on the warranty policy which just felt like being fobbed off.

I had to chase after almost 2 1/2 months of not hearing anything just to be told all I was entitled to is £14.

This is far from acceptable and has made me greatly question whether I can ever use or recommend you again.

Far from feeling part of the SCAN family I have felt like nothing but an invoice number... :|

Registered+
    Thanks

Right, this is interesting. Gyration have got back to me and say that a replacement CAN be given:

"Under the warranty we can still issue a replacement unit, so to make sure your replacement unit is despatched as quick as possible can you please complete the following steps:-
    • Log onto www.gyration.co.uk and click on the 'Support' tab.
    • Click the button showing 'Log a Support Request'.
    • Please fill in all relevant boxes and click the 'Send' button at the bottom of the page.
    This will transmit the completed form directly over to me. Within 48hours you will receive a reply email with the returns auth number (RMA) with all the details of where and how to send the unit to me for replacement.
    "

I am therefore confused why I have been told that a replacement / repair can not be carried out when I was told in January that you sent my unit to Gyration.

Can you please advise on this.

Thread Information