Thread: MSI 3870 X2 RMA Advice - Please Help!!

Thanks

MSI 3870 X2 RMA Advice - Please Help!!

Hi All

New member here - look forward to posting frequently in the future! Am just after some friendly advice please.

I purchased an Radeon MSI 3870 X2 from Scan UK which was delivered on the 27th February. Apon opening the package I was concerned that the box was a bit ruffled and wasnt sealed as im used to when I purchase a new card. I opened the contents and the instructions and leaflets etc were also a bit bent and clearly this card had been used. Also, I noticed that the card didnt have the sticker/decal on it that every other MSI card did in all reviews and pictures online - it was bare.

After testing temps with this card I realised that the GPU was running at 78 and over in 2d mode idle at the desktop - this sometimes rose into the early 80's which was surely not good for it. I emailed scan with my concerns about the condition, sticker, temps and used card issue on the 1st march and was told that it had been used/tested internally (is this usual?) - and i could RMA the card for a refund if i desired. So i felt pretty secure that if i wasnt happy with it i could return it no problem.

After using it for a week or so I again emailed them with the concerns about the temps especially reading about various powerplay/fan issues etc that other radeon users have had. The problem was that the fans were never ever changing speed regardless if I was playing crysis for an hour or surfing the net. I have read on many forums, tons of users that have had to flash their bios to make the fans behave properly and the only other way to even change the fan speed to 40 percent was to use rivatuner every time i boot up.
    I recieved a reply that my temperatures were fine etc and not to worry.....I have since suffered lockups in games and stuttering that made me worry about the card - these may have been driver related but when I had other concerns already I fired back a couple of emails stating I would like to RMA the card - I then purchased a 9800 GX2 from Scan seperately and let them know this. Anyway, my RMA was accepted so I sent it away for a refund - very happy now with my new 9800 GX2 (apart from the power adapter which I had to snap to fit).

Have just recieved an email saying 'Item tested - no Fault Found' - that my card has been tested in Crysis and Call of juarez benchmarks and it is fine. I phoned scan just now and they were very friendly but said that in a worst case scenario ill be getting the card that I no longer need back with no refund - despite spending over 400 quid on a different card on the same site.

Do I have any rights at all? Do I just have to deal with it and end up losing further money (it also cost 20 quid to send back insured) flogging it on ebay and pretending I didnt have any issues with it? I am in big trouble financially if i dont get a refund for this as I spent all my money on a different card.

I would really REALLY appreciate any feedback or advice on my problem from Scan or you experienced gurus on here. I must add that I think Scan are really good and they have always been very friendly and provided a great service to me - am just very worried I might lose a load of money over this. Please help!!!!

many thanks for reading this overbloated tale of despair from a fellow PC enthusiast!

mark

Thanks
    • Blitzen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Intel Quad Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz : 30 Degrees Idle - 41-46 Degrees Load
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 1GB OCZ Platinum PC6400 @ 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500GB Samsung Spinpoints - RAID 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 285
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU 82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic Q22wb 22" Widescreen - 5ms
      • Internet:
      • O2 premium @ 17mb

Re: MSI 3870 X2 RMA Advice - Please Help!!

I would guess you are stuck with it.

The only way you couldve guaranteed a refund is if you demanded it refunded within the first 7 days (DSR).

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

if they said too you that since it was tested or what ever and you were entitled to a refund then that option should still indeed be viable. Id say wait for a reply here and i bet it will be sorted. If the card is running at 80C or around there then it is a problem, cards are ofc tested too i think about 120C(atleast 100C) too test for stability so @ 80C and its unstable there is a problem.

Just return the 9800? that would be my bet as the 9800 are not really the best, try 2x 8800GTS cheaper and around the performance(ofc higher res will mean it wont but anything around 1600x1000 is great).

Registered+
    Thanks

Looks like they were unaware of the assurance you were given on the return for refund. I think scan log email communication so you should have no problems getting it sorted!

Thanks

Many thanks for all the replies, really appreciate it. Cheers for the advice Hicks I do realise that the 2 GTS would offer similar performance, but im running a Maximus Formula - Intel Chipset and I definately wouldnt replace this 9800 GX2 for anything right now - crysis all on high is finally really silky smooth and stutter free @ 1680 x 1050! Also thanks for the assurance Tetras, luckily i kept their email:

'Hi, I am sorry to hear the issues you have had, the card has never left our building but has been inspected internally I can certainly raise an rma if you would like to return the product for a refund. Regards, Michael WScan Computers'

Scan do seem like a good company though so fingers crossed ill be ok!

Thanks

Hi Guys

Though id post with the conclusion to my mess. Am absolutely fuming right now. Just got off the phone with Scan and im told that not only do I have to take the card but, but ive gotta pay 30 pounds worth of 'NO FAULT' fees too - this along with th 20 quid insured postage I had to pay to get it back to them as I couldnt take the day off for collection.

I know some of the matters here are not Scans fault - such as me sending the item back, and purchasing another card from them, but all I wanted was a bit of understanding from them. They had told me if it ws in a re-sellable condition that I would get a refund - but obviously not. I can tell you right now it was in the same condition they sent me it in (see my previous post).

Well great - I ended up paying 330 pounds for a 3870 X2 that ill never use again - bargain - look out for it on ebay.

For future reference I have RMA'd items with ebuyer.com that ive actually used and had no fault with before and the refund was in my account 2 days later

Thanks for the suggestions anyway guys, I need a beer........

Thread Information