Suggestion: wording of RMA emails

Hi guys

I received an email last Wednesday for an RMA that I had sent in stating

Quote Originally Posted by email from Scan
    ***This is an automated email. Please do not reply***

RMA Number: <snip>
    Name: <snip>

Current status of your RMA: Completed

We can confirm your returned goods have now been fully processed and replacements issued / refund processed.
    I submitted an OLQ this morning as funds hadn't arrived back and I've never known a refund take a week from the date it's been processed by a company and was slightly concerned to be told

Quote Originally Posted by response to my OLQ
    Hi, Regarding your email

The refund has been processed and should be showing in your account in 3 working days

Regards,

Scan Computers
    This is confusing as the initial email suggested it was processed last Wednesday so either a) it *wasn't* processed when the email was sent out, or b) it was and disappeared down the back of the sofa somewhere. I followed this up, as I'm a little concerned that the best part of a couple of hundred quid is floating about somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by my follow up email
    Im confused - does this mean that the refund has just been processed (and not a week ago), or that it was processed a week ago and should have been in my account within 3 working days (so last Monday is when I should have received it)?

Thanks,
    and I just got the following response...

Quote Originally Posted by last email from Scan
    Hi

Further to your mail, the refund was passed to your bank on 09/12/08, this is a different date to when the refund was authorised, that would be the day the rma was set to complete and you received the automated email.

The refund will take 3-5 working days form the 09/12/08 to clear in to your account.

Regards

Scan Computers
    Now... in my eyes (please correct me if I'm misinterpreting the situation) if you send out an email saying that an RMA is completed and that a refund has been issued it means that the refund is winging it's way back to me, not that it's sitting in an intray for another 4 working days. If this is normal, then could you add another step to the process so that it's clear to customers what's happening?

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Suggestion: wording of RMA emails

We cannot add another step to the process because there are no more steps in the returns process.

I understand your point but everything is completely as far as the RMA is concerned. The refund has been raised and processed but still needs to be physically actioned by the accounts department.

This is not a returns step however and as such cannot be added to the returns system.

3. Received thanks from:

Thanks
    • GoNz0's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 something X99 based
      • Memory:
      • 16gb GSkill
      • Storage:
      • 4 SSD's + WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX980 Strix WC
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy 1250 (9 years and counting)
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • win10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • 220mb Cable

had the same myself and this they are out of order with the time frame it takes, it is a joke that it has to sit on someones desk for a week before we get fed up and question it, then something gets done about it.

they take your money in the blink of an eye then refund it when they feel like it.

Splash

Quote Originally Posted by wesleyaldred View Post
    We cannot add another step to the process because there are no more steps in the returns process.

I understand your point but everything is completely as far as the RMA is concerned. The refund has been raised and processed but still needs to be physically actioned by the accounts department.

This is not a returns step however and as such cannot be added to the returns system.
    Without wanting to get into an unproductive argument I disagree. As far as I can say from the point of view of the customer everything from the point I raise the RMA to the point I recieve my replacement or refund *is* part of the process. If this isn't the way Scan's business process for returns works then that's another matter, however I feel that you shouldn't tell a customer that a refund has been processed until it's been... processed.

When I put an order in to buy something I am able to track every step until I recieve the goods. I think it's reasonable that I should expect to track things going the other way too, however if that's not possible I feel you should set reasonable expectations for the customer even if all that means is to word the email differently (so as to say that it's been passed to the accounts department, and the refund will be actioned by them within x working days. Even better have a final email sent so that it's clear when the refund *has* been physically actioned).

Anyhoo, it was just a suggestion that I feel would improve the customer experience: if you guys choose not to take it on board it's entirely your call.

Registered+
    Thanks

I completely understand were you are coming from, I will look into how the email can be worded differently so that it is clear rather than giving the wrong impression.

Thanks for your feedback.

Splash

Quote Originally Posted by GoNz0 View Post
    they take your money in the blink of an eye then refund it when they feel like it.

To be clear - I'm not complaining about the timeframe involved in the refund (they do technically have the timeframe specified within your statutory rights, remember), only that the email and tracking process seems confusing.

Thread Information