Thread: my new parts - dead p6t mobo, i7 cpu or hd 4890 gpu?

Registered+
    Thanks

my new parts - dead p6t mobo, i7 cpu or hd 4890 gpu?

guys,
    I've ordered an asus p6t deluxe v2, i7 920 (D0) and a sapphire hd 4890 OC. Parts arrived 2 Fridays ago, 1st May 09.

I just started my build this weekend as my other parts (Corsairs 750W TX, OCZ 6GB DDR3 OCZ3G1600LV6GK and CM storm sniper) just arrived. Everything turns on, cpu fan, front panel LEDs, case fans etc. but my new build won't post. I get a blank screen. Optical mouse doesn't power up.

The DIMM slots do not have a blue LED lit up, however, when I power off, one blue LED by the A1 DIMM slots flashes momentarily. From what I've googled, I think the blue LEDs are meant to be lit permanently.

The GPU has 3 LEDs lit up on it permanently, LEDs labelled as below, and I've googled their indications:
    D1601 - Red LED On, shows critical temperature fault (however I don't find a rise in temperature when I put my hand near the gpu fan)
    D1602 - Red LED On, shows External power connector A was removed
    D1603 - Red LED On, shows External power connector B was removed

I've stripped my build down to test the components as best I could on a breadboard surface - mobo with CPU (once with HSF and once without) and just one stick of RAM in A1 DIMM slot (alternating all 3 sticks of RAM), then the GPU. Same results, no blue LED on DIMM until I power off, and 3 red LEDS on GPU permanently on. Blank screen on monitor. I don't think the mobo has a speaker - someone suggested I buy a piezo speaker to test out the beep codes, but I cant for the life of me figure where the 2 pin speaker would plug into. I can't find anything.

For some reason, I have the feeling it's the mobo that's DOA, but it might be GPU as well. Should I RMA the mobo and GPU to save turnaround times?

Please help. I've been waiting so long for this build to come. I've been working on a PentiumIII for 8 years, then decided an i7 build and now it's an epic fail. sigh.
    Last edited by rails; 10-05-2009 at 05:00 PM. Reason: extra info

Thanks

Re: my new parts - dead p6t mobo, i7 cpu or hd 4890 gpu?

Quote Originally Posted by rails View Post
    I've stripped my build down to test the components as best I could on a breadboard surface - mobo with CPU (once with HSF and once without)

So you've booted without the hsf?
    If you have that's your warranty gone

Registered+
    Thanks

uh- I meant took off the HSF to see if CPU was actually running warm.
    I don't build computers for a living, but I am wary - I even bought an anti static wrist strap for this build.

Registered+
    Thanks

ok just realised that post sounded misleading. Im not gonna edit it in case that draws "certain conclusions" - i'l link to this post http://forums.hexus.net/help-technic...nk-screen.html which was posted yesterday before I posted this thread today

Thread Information