Thread: Nvidia DVD decoder (platinum) problem

Registered+
    Thanks

Unhappy Nvidia DVD decoder (platinum) problem

Hi Scan guys,

I recently purchased the platinum edition of the nvidia dvd decoder from you but I am having a few issues with it relating to sound, I also have a couple of other questions for you.......

The sound issue relates to when I use windows player 10 to playback DvD's...I only get stereo sound when watching a dvd with a dolby digital 5.1 soundtrack, if the DvD has a DTS soundtrack and I select it I get no sound at all.

I have tried looking at nvidia's website about this and they mention about going into the settings of the decoder while watching a dvd and selecting the audio tab. When I went into the settings of the decoder there was no audio tab selectable.

I thought the platinum edition of the decoder handled audio decoding as it says so on your site (Supports DTS, Dolby 5.1, Dolby Headphones, Dolby Pro Logic IIX )?

I have found a program called nstantmedia.exe that installs with the decoder pack - if I use this to watch dvd's I manage to get 5.1 sound when watching dvds with a DTS or Dolby digital sound track. The confusing thing is, is that according to nvidia everything should work through wmp10 - there is no mention of the nstantmedia app at all!

What should I be using to view dvd's? Am I supposed to use WMP10? If so how come the audio decoder (that I have paid the extra money for) does not seem to kick in for Dolby Digital and DTS?

My other questions are:

1. The version of the dvd decoder sent to me is 1.00.58 - does this version support the Geforce 6800 series pure video? As an owner of a 6800GT this was one of the main reasons for me to get the nvidia decoder.

2. Whilst I was having a look at nvidia's website to figure out how to solve the audio problem, I noticed that they have an updated version of the decoder available - is it possible to upgrade to the new version?

Unfortunately I have to say I am pretty disappointed with the software, I paid quite a lot of money to get the dvd decoder with all of audio decoders, only to find that they do not seem to work properly.

I apologise for the length of this post, thanks for taking the time to read it.

Thanks
    • Lee H's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Carbon Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 8700K Unlocked CPU
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 LPX
      • Storage:
      • 250GB 960 EVO + a few more drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6GB Palit GTX 1060 Dual
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750W Modular Blue
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus MX279H & 24" Acer 3D GD245HQ + the 3D glasses
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media
    There is an update to the software on the nvidia website that should solve a few of the problems you are having ;

The link for the updated version is as follows ;
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/dvd_decoder_1.00.67.html

Release Notes

Enables PureVideo™ technology on GeForce 6 series GPUs
    Added support for Windows Media Center 2005 control panel extensions for the DVD Decoder
    Numerous compatibility fixes, click here to view the Release Notes

Also, what system are you trying to run this on as I had to update the Asus drivers to the ones on the nvidia site for the nforce4 standalone.

The dvd decoder works through windows media player and this version does allow hardware decoding via the new 6xxx series of cards that support purevideo.

If you still have any issues - give me a shout and I'll try to kickstart my brain to see if theres a little setting anywhere to resolve this.

Best Regards,

Registered+
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply.

I have downloaded and installed the update (thanks for the link), but this has not sorted out the issue, I still get either a stereo downmix with dolby digital 5.1 or no sound at all with DTS in Windows Media player. I have downloaded the release notes for the update, and it does mention selecting an audio tab to configure the decoder but I still don't see any audio tab in the decoder settings.

Heres a link to the PDF - http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/d...ease_notes.pdf

Page 17 details the audio setup, but as I said I do not see this tab at all, I only see the video and colour tabs.

As before, if I use the nstantmedia app, the audio is OK in that I get true 5.1 when playing back a movie with Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS. One other thing I have noticed is that the nstantmedia app now says 'trial only' after I instaled the update.

The system I am using has an Abit AV8 Third-Eye mobo, I am not using the mobo's on board sound, I have disabled it and instead I am using a Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS which is hooked up to a set of 5.1 speakers. All the drivers are up to date.

I'd be extremely greatful for any help you can give me in getting the audio decoding to work.

Many thanks.
    Last edited by Reanimation; 14-03-2005 at 05:09 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Just a quick update, I have installed the decoder on the PC I use at work and it has the extra tabs in the decoder settings that let me setup the audio so it handles dolby digital and DTS.

I have noticed that in the dvd settings in media player (tools -> Options -> DvD Tab -> Advanced) that my PC at work uses the nvidia audio decoder while my PC at home seems to use a standard windows audio decoder.

I've been really pulling my hair out about this, and all it seems to be is media player is not using the nvidia audio codec!

Do you think I'd be better off starting with a clean slate and reformat my machine?

Thanks
    • Lee H's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Carbon Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 8700K Unlocked CPU
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 LPX
      • Storage:
      • 250GB 960 EVO + a few more drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6GB Palit GTX 1060 Dual
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750W Modular Blue
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus MX279H & 24" Acer 3D GD245HQ + the 3D glasses
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media
    Quote Originally Posted by Reanimation
    Do you think I'd be better off starting with a clean slate and reformat my machine?
    That could be one option.

Do you have any other DVD software installed such as powerdvd or anything like divx/xvid codec packs as these can have an adverse effects and with windows being windows it tends to use these codecs instead of the nvidia one.

Best Regards,

Registered+
    Thanks
    I don't currently have any other DvD playback software installed on my home PC - The only other thing that I can think of that may be throwing a spanner in the works is that I used to use NvDvD.

With regards to other codecs, I have the divX 5.0.5 video codec installed, but the video side of things with the nvidia decoder is fine. It only seems to be the nvidia audio codec that does not seem to be installing correctly on my PC.

I think I'll give the PC a format tonight - I needed an excuse to do it anyway! I'll keep you updated.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Just finished setting up my PC after a full format, and good news, the nvidia decoder is now fully working - I even have the audio tab!

It looks like the nvidia decoder likes a clean slate, I think my issue related to the fact that I used to use nVidia's NvDvD software (basically an older version of the current decoder pack). I have read info on the net that nvidia's new decoder does not really like it if NvDvD has been on the PC. This seems to be true from my experience.

Thanks a lot for your help over the past couple of days Wildmonkey

Thread Information