Thread: Orange Unlimited Data Tariff (30Mb = Unlimited) Hmmm...

Professional Bum
    Thanks

Orange Unlimited Data Tariff (30Mb = Unlimited) Hmmm...

I don't know if anyone was planning on signing up for the Orange data tariff, but you may wish to think twice going by this article:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06..._caps_at_30mb/

About as useful as a chocolate teapot if that's accurate. I think VF give you 15Mb on their PAYG data tariff for £1/day which really puts the Orange plan to shame. Of course it's something like £2/Mb after that which is ludicrous.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wombar View Post
    I don't know if anyone was planning on signing up for the Orange data tariff, but you may wish to think twice going by this article:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06..._caps_at_30mb/

About as useful as a chocolate teapot if that's accurate. I think VF give you 15Mb on their PAYG data tariff for £1/day which really puts the Orange plan to shame. Of course it's something like £2/Mb after that which is ludicrous.
    Yup, I was thinking about this - waiting to find out the terms of the unlimited package. Needless to say I'm going nowhere near Orange now. Been a customer for something like 8 years now and the last two have been a Customer Service shocker.....time to vote with my feet so to speak!

Shame they get some decent PDA phones (I want the HTC P3600 which Orange have as the M700)...but I'm after a good 3G package next and these prices are a farce.

Read a lot of kickback on dedicated PDA forums about these tariffs too, and some poor folks who actually renewed their contracts before the terms of the deal were made clear...expecting a 1Gb cap. Can't be good. Its all downhill since France Telecom took over I'm afraid. T-Mobile for me I think

Professional Bum
    Thanks
    I think pretty much anyone who needs a decent amount of data is going to T-Mobile at the moment. I'll probably be moving from Vodafone to T-mobile once the HTC Kaiser is released.

At the moment I don't use any data because I've not got a phone that can actually do anything. However, if you've got a smart phone, what's the point in having all the fancy features like the internet (i.e. google maps, email etc) if you can't use it because it's too expensive.

In all fairness, the Vodafone plans might be just enough for my needs as I work from home anyway, but I don't want to be paying £2/Mb if I want to use the internet whilst I'm out the house in an emergency.

Orange do an unlimited data plan which is off peak (i.e. weekends and between 7pm and 7am) but that's no good for me because data charges during the day are around £2/Mb. Nice one Orange, you've just shot yourselves in the foot.

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb
    I find it bonkers how much mobile networks can get away with charging for data services.

surely if it was affordable, poeple would use it more and actually spend more money on it?

For instance i would pay £15/month or unlimited data (on top of my contract rate of £15). But there is no way i would spend £15 a month on a few MB of data.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wombar View Post
    I think pretty much anyone who needs a decent amount of data is going to T-Mobile at the moment. I'll probably be moving from Vodafone to T-mobile once the HTC Kaiser is released.

Yup, now I'm set on T-Mobile myself, the Kaiser is my phone of choice too over the Orange Trinity, but no idea when its going to appear! Want to compare it to the Trinity for size though...Once I've got one of them (Trinity or Kaiser) its Slingbox time at long last

Probably need the 3Gb on Webnwalk Pro but we'll see. Anyone got a Slingbox Mobile up and running on T-Mobile as I've struggled to find much about it on the web apart from the Three bundles with their 'X-Series'?
    Last edited by AndyO; 08-06-2007 at 12:49 PM.

Out of the Loop
    Thanks
    • vrykyl's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG X570 Strix-E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3900 @ 4.5ghz 1.28v (Noctua DH15)
      • Memory:
      • 32gb (2x16gb) Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz @ 3800mhz 1.35v
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Corsair MP600 NVME, 256gb Samsung Evo, 4tb WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC 10gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX 860w + White Braided Cables
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Limited Edition (Soundproofed)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 49" CRG9 Ultrawide 5120x1440 @ 120hz
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 80mb fibre (80/20)
    god i wish orange would bring back its old net policy...i can remember when I got my old nokia 6600 (when they were first released) about 4 years ago.... for £30 a month I got 200 anytime minutes, 500 texts and unlimited WAP... was amazing, I just left msn messenger on my phone logged in permanently...
    never reached a limit, and i easily went over 30mb a month...

adam1701
    on orange pyg, its £1 for unlimited access (but really 25mb max )

Vampire
    Thanks
    You would lose less money getting mugged than going on an Orange data tariff.
    All Hail the AACS : 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinizter View Post
    You would lose less money getting mugged than going on an Orange data tariff.
    yes, I can confirm that - they billed me just over £2500 the xmas before last and it took me a month to get them to admit their mistake. It took 9 months just to get the banking charges re-couped. Needless to say I'm not with the thieving bar stewards any more!!

Thread Information