Thread: K750i vs 6230i

Thanks

K750i vs 6230i

I am torn between these two phones as my choice to start off a new contract with Orange on. Both seem to be a very similar size, with the K750i having the better camera, but the 6230i being the latest revision to an incredibly capable Nokia product.

I had a T610 in the past which I found to be badly made and slow, and it would frequently crash. I trust this is fixed in the K750i, but I have never heard these complaints about the Nokia.

So, fellow Hexites, which do I go for?

Thanks
    • Apex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87M-PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-4670K
      • Memory:
      • 32 GiB
      • Storage:
      • 20 TiB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PowerColor Radeon RX 6700 Fighter 10GB OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Core View 21
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGFA
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb nTL Cable
    6230i

Thanks
    Any reason why dude

Thanks
    K750I is an excellent phone but the nokia 6230 seriese was SOLID! if you are nokiarised then have the 6230 if you feel like a change have the K750.

The max recommended mem for the 6230i is apparently 512MB where as the K750 will hold up to ~2GB IIRC.

The only thing im not too sure about on Sony Ericssons is that joystick, but id still take the K750.

Thanks
    The max recommended mem for the 6230i is apparently 512MB
    The 6230i can take cards up to 2GB without problem and should be able to take 4GB cards when they're released. Over at Moby Memory, a 2GB MMC card for the 6230i costs £96 whilst a 2GB Memory Stick for the K750i costs £240. On the memory front, the 6230i definately wins.

Personally, I'd stick take the K750i over the 6230i though. The camera on the K750i is excellent.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron
    The 6230i can take cards up to 2GB without problem and should be able to take 4GB cards when they're released.
    Dont misunderstand me. i used the word recommended because im going by what nokia have told us, im aware that people have put larger memory modules in the handsets but i have no idea how well it copes with it.
    Store More: There's now 32 MB of internal memory, which is easily expandable with removable MMC cards (up to 512 MB). Use the phone as a storage device for photos, music and video files - or even documents and presentations.
    From > http://www.nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,,69499,00.html

Thanks
    • Apex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87M-PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-4670K
      • Memory:
      • 32 GiB
      • Storage:
      • 20 TiB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Core View 21
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGFA
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb nTL Cable
    Quote Originally Posted by Caged
    Any reason why dude
    Cos am fed up of people asking me for the K750i it's doing my head in.

But to be more serious....

The mem cards are cheaper, the phone is more solid then the k750i imho, it's not reinventing the wheel so to speak, the phone just bloody works unlike a lot of the k750is that i have to deal with..

So the cam's not 2mp but who actually uses the phone for taking proper pics ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex
    The mem cards are cheaper, the phone is more solid then the k750i imho, it's not reinventing the wheel so to speak, the phone just bloody works unlike a lot of the k750is that i have to deal with..
    I can see where you are coming from. We have sold alot of k750i's and 6230i's andwe have alot more faulty k750i's back than the 6230i's.

Thanks
    I shouldn't think I'd have a problem shipping it back to Orange if I have a problem.

Thanks
    • Apex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87M-PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-4670K
      • Memory:
      • 32 GiB
      • Storage:
      • 20 TiB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Core View 21
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGFA
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb nTL Cable
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemeliza
    I can see where you are coming from. We have sold alot of k750i's and 6230i's andwe have alot more faulty k750i's back than the 6230i's.
    Same for us, we are lucky to see 1 in every 100 with the 6230i, the k750i seems like 1 in every 5 is faulty.

Thanks
    i used the word recommended because im going by what nokia have told us, im aware that people have put larger memory modules in the handsets but i have no idea how well it copes with it.
    Well, Moby Memory gaurantee compatibility and even people using the older 6230 reported that 1-2GB cards worked fine with later firmware releases. Nokia only state 512MB to cover their collective asses as bigger cards probably weren't tested fully.

Thanks
    Having had both a 6230i and a K750i, i would say beyond a doubt that i would go for the K750i every time. I actually have more issuses with my 6230i (even the replacement would turn itself off) but i accept the 6230i has probaly less. I have been a nokia fan since the first early analogue phones nearly ten years ago. I tried SE, moto's, NEC's and samsungs but always went back to nokia's. But the K750i is the first one to have really converted me away. Many of the issues have been sorted on the K750i, such as some operational delays some older SE's.

This is why i prefer it (may i add these are my own opinions, i don't expect everyone will agree so don't give me a fanboy stylie flaming). I have also tried to be fair, i'm not a fanboy and dont card what make my phone is, as long as i like it...

Menu system - once you get used to the difference, the new SE menu system is better imo. I know the old saying 'if i aint broke, don't fix it' but nokias are begining to seem rather dated and need an update. With all the new features it can take some navaigate down the tree to the option you want. I prefer the K750i menu system ten-fold.

Build quality/style - The 6230i's body is nearly over two years old and looking rather dated. Personally i think its a bit dull too and i think the K750i is far more stylish, but thats competely subjective i realise and not an issue for some people. The 6230i is plastic, the k750i is metal. Also, as with all x-press on nokias, the the 6230i takes on dust and i was forever having to take it appart to clean it out. No such problems with K750i. I also prefer the keypad.

Screen - K750i wins this hands down. But the 6230i is still a large improvement over 6230.

Entertainmant - Far better games engine in the k750i, supporting rather fancy 3d games that laugh in the face of the nokia. But im not much of a mobile gamer myself really so this would not infulence my chioce personally.

Messaging - The email client on the k750i is much better. Texting is much nicer, but actually very simular to nokias anyway and you can set it up how you like it so its almost identical to nokias too.

WAP - Much better brower on the k750i

Camera - K750i is best on the market at the min, no contest there.

MP3 - Better on the K750, but not perfect - Supports proper onboard playlist management and supports drap & dropping of files, unlike the nokias which force you to use the awful buggy Nokia PC suite. SE's suite is no better, but at least you can just use windows explorer. The nokia has to have all the MP3's in the one root folder, which is a real pain. The SE lets you nest as many folders as you like. Also the SE headphones in the box are FAR better than nokia sad effort. But you can buy adaptors - a must for a the nokia IMO, but you can get by with the SE's.
    Another thing, the k750i has a play, pause button on the side. With nokia you have no navigate into the menu system. Handy on my bike and in the gym.

Others featues - The k750i has far better video playback for things like tv episodes etc. Also, the k750i has an incredibly powerful LED torch which i use all the time. Better calender too. The k750i has USB charging too, which is useful in the office. The bluetooth on the K750i is also far more rubust. I never managed to sucesfully transfer a file more than 2mb on my nokia very often, even to other nokias.

Battery - I can't decide which is better really. Out of the box the nokia's tend to last a bit longer but they seem to degrade faster over time than SE's.

Memory card - £240!!! for a 2 gig card??? Where from? Kay's Catalogue?! Also If you shop around you can get 1 gig ones for around £70 (my 512 cost me £25). The memory cards in k750i's are 'hot swapable', i.e. you don't need to turn the phone off. You change the nokia card you have to remove the battery. Also, the card works in PSP's so if you have one that may be a bonus. And thanks to the PSP, memory sticks are coming down more and more.

Granted, the k750i had issues, and in many repects the 6230i is a more rubust firmware. But i have no problems since changing it. You can also update the firmware on SE's website using the cable in the box. Can you do that with nokia? I am sure they have been many more faulty k750i's, i know about 10 people who have them and one was faulty. But once you have a working one i think most people would prefer them.

Granted, many of the above features are not important to everyone. But if you are really interested the MP3, Photos and more up to date fautures, they K750i is the obvious chioce by a considerable margin. If i was a business user who just made calls/texts i would go for the 6230i over the K750i, but only by a small margin. But then if i was that kind of user i would would not go for either tbh.

One other thing, the K750i will probably have a higher resale value in 12 months time when you upgrade.

But at the end of the day, i prefer the k750i for the above reasons. You may not like it. It's totally subjective and you should get a 14 day trial on any contract. Try both then choose

Thanks
    Some very good reviews;

http://www.mobile-review.com/review/nokia6230i-en.shtml

http://www.mobile-review.com/review/...-k750-en.shtml

Productivity. To measure the productivity we used three JBenchmark programs (for MIDP 1.0, 2.0 and also a 3D package). The productivity comparison with the Nokia 6230 shows slight loss of the Nokia 6230i. At the same time the result of JBenchmark 3D is not so bad and easily covers the Sony Ericsson's results. But the MIDP ? results for Nokia 6230i are not as good. And here the SE products are winning, for instance, the K750 (321 points against 147). Acquaint with the Nokia 6230i test results below (3.20 and 3.23 software version)...
    One other thing; If you lan to install other games/apps on the K750i its very simple; just drop the .jar file onto the mem stick and the navigate to it using the the file manager and hit install. You can also bluetooth the .jar file directly to other phones (including nokias) which can be dirrectly installed onto that phone. No messing about with stupid .JAD file like on the Nokia and having to use thier installer app which seems to fall on it's ass quite often (ususally due to incorrectly configured .JAD files).

And before you ask, no i have nothing better to with my sunday moring! All my mates have buggered off campling while i was at work
    Last edited by autopilot; 28-08-2005 at 12:11 PM.

Thanks
    Ok, ordered the K750i, let's hope my second SE phone is better than the first.

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb
    Quote Originally Posted by Caged
    Ok, ordered the K750i, let's hope my second SE phone is better than the first.
    My last phone was a T610, had it for about 2 years. Moving to the K750 was amazing (Well apart from my first one hanging randomly when i wasn't doing anything and not lettingmy connect to the SE update serivice - sorted with O2 no problems tho). Menues are instant like they should be and there are lots of little extras in their navigation and messaging that is a massive improvement over the 610

Thread Information