Thread: K750i Update available

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks

K750i Update available

new K750i update available...useful if you've been dogged but lock-ups and the handheld equivelent of bsod...

FINALLY managed to fix this updating business. took me to try it on 3 different computers and it eventually worked. so, here is - for anyone else in the same predicament - how to do it.
    oh and by the way I'm on orange (uk) and the phone can with eu_3 and the 1Ra-so on firmware, so it does work on the eu_3's. it now says eu_1, all the 'orange' pictures in the menu have been replaced to - what I assume are - sony ericsson standards. It might just be me but it seems faster too.

right, before you do ANYTHING, including connecting your phone to the computer, download the following two things:

the SE drivers on the support page, get there by going to sonyericsson.com, navigate to your country's site and then click the 'support tab'. enter your phone model (k750i...!!) and get directed to a page with lots of options. click on the 'drivers and scripts' link to be directed to somewhere like this (this is the UK's one)
    http://www.sonyericsson.com/s[....]3_2&zone=ps&lm=ps1_1&pid=10242

and you also NEED this [thanks due to darky]:
    http://www.sonyericsson.com/d[....]_Update_Service_USB_driver.zip
    - which for some reason is not in the above driver package but you need it as otherwise the phone cannot be set as a 'flash device' for you to scrub the software thats there and replace it with the new one...

right, with those two zip files extract them into an easy to find location. you many now connect your phone to your computer, have it ON too! the computer finds your phone and searches desparately for drivers, you must select the location of the ones you downloaded for it each time (happens about 5 times). then go back to the support site (again this is UK) -
    http://www.sonyericsson.com/s[....]1_1&zone=ps&lm=ps1_1&pid=10242
    [I am informed that you can update the firmware from any international support site...its the language on the phone that you alter for your own use] - and below the links that take you to the usb drivers/scripts etc is a link for the Sony Ericsson Update Service (SEUS). click it.
    you then have a few basic things to follow, go through them and eventually you'll be asked to download a sony ericsson .exe, do this and wait as it installs.
    once installed the web page proceeds automatically (well, it did for me) and you then follow a similar process as before by clicking 'i accept' when ever it occurs. finally you get the option to update the phone (at last), as you click to do so the SE .exe will kick in and take over (website remains in the back ground).
    follow the instructions and with any luck it will have recognised your phone (thanks to the drivers) and that it is also a flash device. if it waits on the 'initialising device' point I found that by turning off - leaving the phone connected - holding 'c' down as it restarts (it does this automatically) causes the computer to recognise it is a flash device and will ask for a driver; direct it to the folder where you put everything and select the divers that I mentioned were not included in the USB lot.
    once I had this done the 'initialising device' box disappeared and it moved on to the next step.

click yes/next and follow th on screen instructions. it asks you to disconnect and turn off, hold down 'c' and then plug in - keeping c down for a short while after its plugged back in too.
    If all went well the progress bar will start to tick over and after about 3-4% has gone by you can release 'c' (at least I did to be sure). the update then takes a bit of time but once done remove your phone and turn it on.
    it will ponder a bit at start up but then all will be good.

as I said I tried on 3 machines. if you install drivers from the CD prior to the ones you download it seems you run into trouble. I got to a fresh machine and used the downloads straight...if you already have drivers installed the computer never prompts you to search for any (like your newly downloaded ones) which may mean that theres a teeny bug in the drivers from the CD(?). so, if at all possible try it on a fresh machine otherwise i suspect you'll be going round in circles.

hope that helps the weary! best of luck...just wait until the next set comes out ... and all this for a phone!
    Powered by Marmite and Wet Dog
    Light Over Water Photography

Thanks
    Nice work fella. Nice work indeed. But could you make the post a bit easier to read for people that have not flashed phones before. Lay it out a bit better. I have done it loads of times on lots of different phones, but am strungling to make sence of everything you are saying. Also your links don't work. No offence, it's great guide.

Anyway, some questions...

1) I take it this will completely wipe all user settings and data from the phone, yes?

2) Will this remove the network lock? (O2 already unlocked, but would be useful for other people)

3) I am slightly confused how this works - is the updated firmware downloaded to your PC first? From what you are saying it installs live from the net while the phone is connected - so what about us 56k dial up users? A lost connection while updating the firmware would surely result in a dead phone.

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    oh pants, so sorry, the links have indeed been trunkated. my sincerest apologies to everyone! well, tried to help but c*cked up a tad.
    here's the first:
    http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?...s1_1&pid=10242
    the second:
    http://www.sonyericsson.com/d%5B.......USB_driver.zip
    and third links:
    http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?...s1_1&pid=10242

to answer your Q's first:
    1) nope
    2) I'm still stuck with orange although the menu did change in appearance, Voda users are scr*wed as apparently nothing can remove the voda inserted bits...
    3) ok, sorry I'll explain this a bit better.
    You go to the SE update webpage, follow the links to the 'next page' following the on-screen instructions as you go. eventually you will be prompted to download an .exe file called sony ericsson anywhere [or similar, you see the name when it pops up]. this downloads THEN installs.
    whilst this is happen its as though the website re-sets partially so as to wait until you have the software installed.
    when you click through the web pages (following the 'next page' links) the software you just installs connects direct to the SE server and takes over.
    with a fullspeed connection (I used a university terminal where I work which is as fast as you can get in the UK!) it took a while so I suspect the connection may not be vital as it took me about 15mins to get the process done.
    I guess the software just looks to the server for verification as the phone is the bottle-neck in the process.