Ok - I need to copy some files from c: to d: using the recovery console. Unfortunately access is denied due to the STUPIDITY (mine and MS) of not doing the following as default.

With a little advance preparation, you can overcome at least some of the Recovery Console limitations listed here when running Windows XP Professional (this will NOT work with Home Edition). You need to use the Set command to change system variables in the Recovery Console environment. By default, the Set command is disabled. To enable it, you must change system settings using the Group Policy tool. After logging on as an administrator, follow these steps:
* From any command prompt, type gpedit.msc to open the Group Policy editor.
* In the console pane at the left, expand Local Computer Policy, and then expand
Computer Configuration, Windows Settings, Security Settings, and Local Policies.
* Select Security Options from the console pane on the left.
* In the list of policies on the right, double-click the entry for Recovery Console:
"Allow Floppy Copy And Access To All Drives And All Folders".
* Select the Enabled option and then click OK.

Is there a way of doing the above but from inside the recovery console?

For all of you who read this I would say that this is an invaluable tip as it allows you to copy files to removable media and other partitions using the recovery console, if, like me, you have borked windows xp pro, with the following commands

AllowWildCards = TRUE - Enable wildcard support for some commands (such as the del command).

AllowAllPaths = TRUE - Allows access to all files and folders on the computer.

AllowRemovableMedia = TRUE - Allow files to be copied to removable media, such as a floppy disk.

NoCopyPrompt = TRUE - Do not prompt when overwriting an existing file.