Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vista and Command & Conquer Generals: Zero Hour

Thanks

Re: Vista and Command & Conquer Generals: Zero Hour

how bout Red alert 2 and Yuri's revenge how to make them work on vista i try alot but no luck any one know ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by me_kratos View Post
    how bout Red alert 2 and Yuri's revenge how to make them work on vista i try alot but no luck any one know ?
    Using the First Decade version Red Alert 2 works fine under Vista x64 running in Admin mode. You can set custom resolutions too in the ra2.ini file.

If your using x64 you won't get any LAN network support though as IPX is no longer supported, but you should be able to if your using the regular 32bit release (See Here)

What exactly is the problem your having?

Thanks

here is screen shot wat i get when i try to run RA2 :- img166.imageshack.us/img166/238/ra2fb6.jpg

i did made compatibility changes still no luck

Thanks

I can't get your picture to load - can you check you copied the correct URL?

Are you actually running it as Administrator? I didn't have to change any of the Compatability Settings, to run as Admin right click the RA2.exe and click 'Run As Administrator'.

Thanks

i have the Command and conquer:the first decade and when i go to patch the C&C generals zero hour its says "Old file not found.However,a file of the same name was found.No update done since the file contents do not match." can anyone help me please!

Thanks
    • Dreaming's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • e6300 @ 2.8ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4gb Corsair XMS2 PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Western Digital for OS + 1500GB Seagate for Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800GTS OC2 320MB
      • PSU:
      • Antec Neo HE 550
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC A05B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista Home Premium x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 22" 226BW
      • Internet:
      • NTL 4Mb/s

That's peculiar :/

Maybe it's already patched in the first decade edition to 1.04?
    Dreaming

C2D E6300 @ 2.8 | | Abit IP35 Pro | | 4GB Corsair XMS2 800 | | BFG 8800GTS OC2 320MB | | 500GB Western Digital for OS + 1500GB Seagate for Storage | | Antec NeoHE 550 | | Lian Li PC A05B | | Samsung 226BW 22"

Thanks
    • neonplanet40's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Supernova G6 850W
      • Case:
      • Lian LI Lancool 3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 27" U2715H & Gigabyte M27Q
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbe

EA dropped support for Zero Hour long before its problems were fixed. These problems carried over onto the first decade pack as well. So there is no fixes for them. This includes slowdowns and random crashes etc. Pity because C&C used to be my favourite game. But after yuris revenge i bought generals and zero hour. After the trouble i had with them and then EA dropping them i refuse to buy another one.

Half assed attempts don't work for me
    Home Entertainment =Epson TW9400, Denon AVRX6300H, Panasonic DPUB450EBK 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray and Monitor Audio Silver RX 7.0, Monitor Audio CT265IDC(x4) Dolby Atmos and XTZ 12.17 Sub - (Config 7.1.4)
    My System=Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz, 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme, MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO, Enermax Supernova G6 850W, Lian LI Lancool 3, 2x QHD 27in Monitors. Denon AVR1700H & Wharfedale DX-2 5.1 Sound
    Home Server 2/HTPC - Ryzen 5 3600, Asus Strix B450, 16GB Ram, EVGA GT1030 SC, 2x 2TB Cruscial SSD, Corsair TX550, Plex Server & Nvidia Shield Pro 4K
    Diskstation/HTPC - Synology DS1821+ 16GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 45TB & Synology DS1821+ 8GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 14TB & Synology DS920+ 9TB
    Portable=Microsoft Surface Pro 4, Huawei M5 10" & HP Omen 15 laptop

Thanks

hello.. so im tryin to follow the directions here. but when i go to look for the command and conquer generals data folder.. it comes up empty.. im having a brain fart.. san some one help me out?

Thanks

i dont get it.. what am i doing wrong.. so i went to ea.com.. and tried to install a patchupdater thing.. cause the one that CAME with it sucks.. and it says missing registry/ini... its a true legit copy of generals.. nothings hacked.. i dont get it..

verrrry confused. and getting frusterated
    someone please help

update.. so i got it working some how.. not sure HOW.. persay.. but then my computer unexpectedly shut down.. and it wont work again.. the laptop yes.. the game no.. i get that stupid annoying technical difficulties pop up.. i tried reinstalling it and running the repair option.. but nothing. downloaded all the patches.. and switched to winxp sp2 compatability mode.. and still with the 3RR0R
    Last edited by chris02; 18-06-2008 at 07:44 PM.

Thanks

Talking Re: Vista and Command & Conquer Generals: Zero Hour

Hi all,

I have found a solution to fixing command and conquer generals zero hour with vista online.

1st. right click the EAsy system info.exe in the ea games folder at start menu and go to properties. click the compatibility tab. run in windows xp mode. run as administrator.

2nd. right click the command and conquer first decade.exe in the ea games folder at start menu and go to properties. click the shortcut tab and go to advanced. click run as administrator. go to compatibility mode tab and click run as administrator there too. click show settings for all users. click run as administrator there also. click ok and then apply.

3rd. run command and conquer first decade.exe. click command and conquer generals zero hour. go to multiplayer. click online. login. and there you go.

matt miller

Thanks

I know this thread is kinda dead but... im still with a HUGE problem and i HATE it and I have spended like 70 hours in total wich is really frustrating me in finding a solution for this. I have vista home premium and i stat my generals I update it works fine i start up again make an account connected and play a game i can chat and such and we start it connecting to players done and than the loading screen comes... I see myself loading but other players dont and suddenly im in the game and i cant do annything and the other players said i disconnected.

I NEED A SOLUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please help me!!!! I really deserve it!!!!

I had a pic of what happens but it wont let me post it but i think u get the thing

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ningen View Post
    and than the loading screen comes... I see myself loading but other players dont and suddenly im in the game and i cant do annything and the other players said i disconnected.
    That generally indicates either a connection problem or some sort of de-sync between you and the other players. Make sure you've got these ports forwarded to your machine if your playing behind a router, and make sure your not using any cracks or anything like that.

Thanks

Than why didnt I had this before?... on my old computer I could play it...
    Is it maybe about my internet card.. thats the only option I know because thats the only thing that have changed about my internet... And than how can i change it?

Thanks

I had a similar problem to many people on this forum in that Generals and Zero Hour refused to start on my Windows Vista Home Premium PC (although it did run file on my Vista Ultimate Laptop). I would get the splash screens in both games and then it would return back to the Vista desktop on Vista Home Premium. The posts from djdare helped, but no matter what I tried by editing the options.ini file (using the parameters for a NVIDIA card) the the games still refused to start. Not to be beaten I followed the advice and installed Windows XP onto the same machine and then installed Generals and Zero Hour.

The options created was slightly different to the one specified by djdare (due to different hardware specs), but I copied it across to my Windows Vista installation and both games now work perfectly. Analysing further I then went back to djdare's original options.ini file and changed the AntiAliasing to 3 (my graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS).

My suggestions to anyone still experiencing this problem is to play around with the AntiAliasing number as this worked for me.

Here is the contents of the options.ini file that I am using:

AntiAliasing = 3
    CampaignDifficulty = 0
    GameSpyIPAddress = 0.0.0.0
    Gamma = 50
    IPAddress = 0.0.0.0
    IdealStaticGameLOD = High
    LanguageFilter = false
    MusicVolume = 55
    Resolution = 1280 960
    SFX3DVolume = 79
    SFXVolume = 71
    ScrollFactor = 50
    SendDelay = no
    StaticGameLOD = High
    UseAlternateMouse = no
    VoiceVolume = 70

Thanks

the fix is on the web site :-)

Answer

If you are having problems running a game and you think it is related to compatibility with Windows Vista, you can try to get the game to work by running it in Compatibility Mode.

Please make sure that you have downloaded all of the necessary updates to Windows Vista, including Service Pack 1.

Note: This setup should be used for games that have been developed before Windows Vista. To check this, please check the minimum system requirements for your game to see if Windows Vista is listed.

Right-click the game's desktop shortcut icon and choose Properties.
    In the Properties Panel, click the Compatibility tab.
    Place a check in the Compatibility Mode checkbox.
    Select Windows XP (Service Pack 2) in the mode box.
    Click Apply to save your changes.
    If you did not opt to have a desktop icon installed:

Find the game icon listed in your Games directory.
    Right-click on the game and click on Customize. This will bring up the Customize menu.
    Select Play.
    Select Edit.
    This will bring up the Properties screen. Click the Compatibility tab.
    Check Run in Compatibility Mode and then choose Windows XP (or whatever operating system the game was designed for).
    Press Apply, and then press OK. You will be back at the customize menu.
    Close the customize screen.
    Now the game is configured to run in Compatibility Mode.
    Please note that this will only make the game run in Compatibility Mode if you click on the shortcut that you set Compatibility Mode for. All other shortcut icons (such as those in your Start menu) will have to have these changes made, as well.

Another step you will want to try is running the software as an administrator. To do this:

Right-click the game's desktop shortcut icon and choose Properties.
    In the Properties Panel, click the Compatibility tab.
    In the Privilege Level section, place a check in the Run this Program as an Administrator checkbox.
    Click Apply to save your changes.
    Try the software again.
    The Windows Vista Firewall is also more active than the Windows XP Firewall. This can cause problems running games that were designed before Vista and playing online. Turning off the Windows Vista Firewall will not stop the firewall from blocking programs. To ensure that the game is running at peak performance, you need to add the game program and any related programs (for example, Punkbuster for some online titles) to the Firewall Exceptions list.

If the game continues to fail, you may need to edit the run features of the game to override User Account Control features in Windows Vista

worked for me.....

Thanks

HI my name is jarret and i'm interested in trying your fix for gens zero hour if u could send me the info to sinful11@hotmail it would be much apreciated thank.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information