Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urgent budget gaming rig advice needed, please!

Thanks

Question Urgent budget gaming rig advice needed, please!

And I do mean budget - hell, if I had the available dosh, I'd be buying a Mac Pro and not posting here!

Games are all it'll be used for really - I have a PPC Mac for doing everything else (well, apart from my basic DTP needs; unfortunately, there's nothing I have found that will beat Publisher and/or Serif Page Plus).

The games I play are mainly adventures (as in 'pure' adventures, not the action kind) sims and the occasional RTS, so nothing that's going to throw the framerate around, but is big on the eye candy.

I do not require a mouse, keyboard, speakers or monitor.

The other problem is the case. Most IBM clone cases that I've seen have been beaten to death with the ugly stick; the only one I have seen that is remotely aesthetically pleasing (to my eyes at least) is the Antec P182 SE Advanced Super Mid Tower Case, it's not too big, either, so it should fit nicely where I need to put it.

The budget is a microscopic £650 (all in) so if any deals can be done then, please, do them!

So, could someone from YT please put me together a rig based on the above criteria? It would need to be built because I have a long history of fried CPUs and cracked motherboards, so I know that it won't be cheaper to do it myself.

I've games piling up here and an urgent need to play 'em, so let's get this thing built!

Cheers!

Sarah

Thanks
    • Spaceritual's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P7P55D LE - S1156 MOBO
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-750 Scan 3XS oc 3.8Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB 4x2GB CMD8GX3M4A1600C8 DOM
      • Storage:
      • 150G WD WD1500HLFS VELOCIRAPTR,500GB SSUNG HD502HJ F3 SATA HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1GB XFX HD5870 XT ED
      • PSU:
      • CAIR 550W PSU CMPSU-550VXUK
      • Case:
      • CMaster Sileo 500 Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2410
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 30mb

Re: Urgent budget gaming rig advice needed, please!

Have you seen the yoyotech Intel Viper ? it won the pcformat best budget pc and is £698.90 , it comes with the latest 8800 320mb nvidia graphics card plus the cpu is good for games as well.

Actually I can`t see it being beaten on price if you look at the components , a bargain it seems

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceritual View Post
    Have you seen the yoyotech Intel Viper ? it won the pcformat best budget pc and is £698.90 , it comes with the latest 8800 320mb nvidia graphics card plus the cpu is good for games as well.

Actually I can`t see it being beaten on price if you look at the components , a bargain it seems
    I don't mean to be rude, but you didn't really read my post, did you...? First off, I said my budget was £650 and, secondly I said I wanted the Antec Mid Tower case. That spec is for a very nasty, very cheap looking blue plastic thing. Why Apple are the only PC company that know how to make their machines aesthetically pleasing as well as a decent spec, I have absolutely no idea.

That's just for the machine, it doesn't include building (£35) OS set-up (£10) or delivery (£17.50). That comes to an extra £62.50. It also includes that nasty, evil, bashed-to-death-with-the ugly-stick, blue plastic case and a Samsung HDD and I know, from personal experience, and from the experience of friends (as well as things I've read) that Samsung HDDs have an extremely poor MTBF rate. I certainly wouldn't want to entrust my data to one. The only manufacturer whose products I have any faith in (when it comes to HDDs, that is) is Seagate. I know of no-one who's had a problem with them (and I've certainly not myself - I've two in this 'ere PPC Mac).

So, if I add my choice of case to that spec (an extra £68) and the build and delivery charges (another £62.50) then I'm looking at a total cost of £829.40. which is £179.40 over my total budget. Whoops I forgot the Seagate HDD, which is an extra £16 I believe, so that's £845.40 (£195.40 over budget).

I'm sorry if this post sounds as though I'm having a go at you, I'm not, I'm just frustrated that you made a suggestion which was completely contrary to what I said I could afford. So, I thank you for the suggestion, but read the original post properly in future, eh...?

Sarah

Registered+
    Thanks
    • _RicH_'s system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT IP35 PRO
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 G0
      • Memory:
      • 4GB, 4x Corsair 6400c4
      • Storage:
      • 200gb + 320gb seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800GTX OC2
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Infiniti 720
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" Widescreen 2ms 3000:1

i came up with this:

gpu
    XFX PVT84GUDD3 GeForce 8600GTS £136.71

cpu
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 £138.75

motherbaord
    Abit IP35 £78.96

ram
    Corsair 2Gb (2X1Gb) TwinX XMS2, DDR2 PC5400 £37.09

hard drive
    Seagate 250GB 8MB 7200RPM SATA 2 Hard Disk Drive £41.13

case
    Antec P182 SE Advanced Super Mid Tower Case £149.64

psu
    OCZ 600W StealthXStream £53.58

optical
    LG GSAH54LBL £19.85

total £655.71

Not easy with a small budget and a £150 case... also you didnt mention if you need OS or not.

Change the drive for a smaller one if you dont need 250gb, should bring it into budget, still got delivery on top tho.

Thanks
    • Spaceritual's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P7P55D LE - S1156 MOBO
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-750 Scan 3XS oc 3.8Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB 4x2GB CMD8GX3M4A1600C8 DOM
      • Storage:
      • 150G WD WD1500HLFS VELOCIRAPTR,500GB SSUNG HD502HJ F3 SATA HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1GB XFX HD5870 XT ED
      • PSU:
      • CAIR 550W PSU CMPSU-550VXUK
      • Case:
      • CMaster Sileo 500 Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2410
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 30mb

Quote Originally Posted by Sacharissa View Post
    I don't mean to be rude, but you didn't really read my post, did you...? First off, I said my budget was £650 and, secondly I said I wanted the Antec Mid Tower case. That spec is for a very nasty, very cheap looking blue plastic thing. Why Apple are the only PC company that know how to make their machines aesthetically pleasing as well as a decent spec, I have absolutely no idea.

That's just for the machine, it doesn't include building (£35) OS set-up (£10) or delivery (£17.50). That comes to an extra £62.50. It also includes that nasty, evil, bashed-to-death-with-the ugly-stick, blue plastic case and a Samsung HDD and I know, from personal experience, and from the experience of friends (as well as things I've read) that Samsung HDDs have an extremely poor MTBF rate. I certainly wouldn't want to entrust my data to one. The only manufacturer whose products I have any faith in (when it comes to HDDs, that is) is Seagate. I know of no-one who's had a problem with them (and I've certainly not myself - I've two in this 'ere PPC Mac).

So, if I add my choice of case to that spec (an extra £68) and the build and delivery charges (another £62.50) then I'm looking at a total cost of £829.40. which is £179.40 over my total budget. Whoops I forgot the Seagate HDD, which is an extra £16 I believe, so that's £845.40 (£195.40 over budget).

I'm sorry if this post sounds as though I'm having a go at you, I'm not, I'm just frustrated that you made a suggestion which was completely contrary to what I said I could afford. So, I thank you for the suggestion, but read the original post properly in future, eh...?

Sarah
    As you have set out in your post the rig you want comes to £829.40 which again ,according to you, is way over budget . the system I mentioned although still over budget is nearer what you where looking for and with a little haggling should be achievable where as the specs you want are not .

So i guess the answer would be that Yoyo tech would be unable to supply a £850 rig for £200 less, unless of course than say differently .....

Honored
    Thanks
    • ackrite26's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5E-VM HDMi G35
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Duo E6550 w/ Zalman CNPS8700NT
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb Crucial Ballistix DDR2 PC5300 w/ Enzotech Pure Copper Heatspreaders
      • Storage:
      • 1* 36Gb WD raptor/1* 500Gb Samsung Spinpoint HD501LJ
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD 4850 512mb
      • PSU:
      • 425W Enermax MOD82+
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SGO2W
      • Operating System:
      • XP Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" Flatron
      • Internet:
      • Cable - 4Gb

Quote Originally Posted by _RicH_ View Post
    cpu
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 £138.75

Swap that straight away for -

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66Ghz Socket 775 CPU £115.52 a saving of £23.23 for a faster CPU!!

Thanks
    • Mithrandir's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Biostar TP45-HP
      • CPU:
      • C2D e4600 (w/ Xigmatek Red Scorpion)
      • Memory:
      • OCZ ReaperX (2x2gb)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung F1 500gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • xfx 9600gt Alphadog edition
      • PSU:
      • Xigmatek NRP-MC651
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Cavalier 3 silver (windowed)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Fujitsu Siemens SCALEOVIEW D22W-1

I've had a seagate - it failed!
    Currently got another Seagate which is working well.
    I've got 3 Samsung drives (& Maxtors) all been working superbly (touchwood!) I think Samsung are one of the most reliable HDD brands.

Anything mechanical is not 100%, hell even things with non moving parts can die (USB pendrives, etc)

Just a thought.

Anyhow, if that case is not to your liking you can customise and add the Antec 182 for £11 instead and change the CPU to the E4400 for a £25 reduction.

EDIT: nvrmind - it'll still be out of budget.
    Last edited by Mithrandir; 13-10-2007 at 08:02 PM.
    Cavalier-X: Biostar TP45-HP ¦ E4600@3.1ghz - Xigmatek Red Scorpion (OCZ Freeze) ¦ OCZ ReaperX 2x2gb (792mhz @ 4-4-4--12) ¦ Xigmatek NRP-MC651 ¦
    Palit 8800gt ¦ X-fi Fatal1ty Gamer ¦ Coolermaster Cavalier 3 (Silver/Windowed) ¦

Poseidon Magma: MSI P45 Zilent ¦ E6300@3.0ghz - Coolermaster Hyper 212 (MX-2) ¦ Corsair 2x2gb (880mhz @ 5-5-5-15) ¦ Corsair HX450w ¦
    xfx 9600gt Alphadog edition (780/1950/1000) ¦ X-fi Gamer ¦ Gigabyte Poseiden ¦

Registered+
    Thanks
    • _RicH_'s system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT IP35 PRO
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 G0
      • Memory:
      • 4GB, 4x Corsair 6400c4
      • Storage:
      • 200gb + 320gb seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800GTX OC2
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Infiniti 720
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" Widescreen 2ms 3000:1

Quote Originally Posted by ackrite26 View Post
    Swap that straight away for -

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66Ghz Socket 775 CPU £115.52 a saving of £23.23 for a faster CPU!!
    cheaper for a reason the 1333 FSB of the e6750 makes it a little trickier to overclock, but yea if your not planning on OC'ing then the 6750 will be fine.

Also i have to agree with seagates being the best drives, I have had 2 IBM drives die on me, and 1 that started making funny noises but stopped. I currently have 3 seagate drives all in daily use (2 for around 3 years) and none have failed (so far).
    Last edited by _RicH_; 13-10-2007 at 11:25 PM.

Honored
    Thanks
    • ackrite26's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5E-VM HDMi G35
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD 4850 512mb
      • PSU:
      • 425W Enermax MOD82+
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SGO2W
      • Operating System:
      • XP Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" Flatron
      • Internet:
      • Cable - 4Gb

This is his first build, not sure if he is going to be overclocking too much.

Also he might need a little more than 250Gb

these are the best all round hard drives available atm.

http://www.yoyotech.co.uk/product_in...1780298f582eaf
    Last edited by ackrite26; 14-10-2007 at 12:45 AM.

Thanks

the Antec P812 is definitely not a small case, it is pretty huge, just to let you know
    Main - Intel Core i5 2300 @ 3.5GHz, 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM, Asus P8P67 Pro, Coolermaster iGreen 600w, GTX 480, Antec One Case

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ackrite26 View Post
    This is his first build, not sure if he is going to be overclocking too much.

Also he might need a little more than 250Gb

these are the best all round hard drives available atm.
    URL snipped 'cos I'm not permitted to post 'em yet...

Methinks you've posted to the wrong thread! There was a bloke who was building his own rig and was asking about overclocking, but as I'm not considering building my own rig, or considering overclocking, and, as a quick glance at my user-name and real name will tell you, I am most certainly not male, I'm pretty sure this post was destined for somewhere else!

Sarah

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daniel.phillips View Post
    the Antec P812 is definitely not a small case, it is pretty huge, just to let you know
    I know that now - methinks that's a misdescription on the behalf of YOYOTECH, it is described as a 'mid tower case' - I didn't think to look at the dimensions before making my choice and, now I have, I definitely require something a lot smaller.

Any suggestions, folks...? Something that really is 'mid tower', please!

Sarah

P.S. I've just measured the dimensions of my Mac case - it's 19" x 8" x 19" (or 48cm x 20cm x 48cm, if you prefer it in new money) so it's about 2.5in (6cm) shorter than the Antec, but 2cm (0.8in) deeper. The width seems to be pretty standard (all the cases I've looked at are about 20cm (8in) wide.) The one thing I do love about Power Mac/Mac Pro cases is the integral handles - such a simple, yet ingenious idea, yet one I've yet to see implemented on any IBM clone box. The handles account for 4ins (10cm) of the total height, as they are top and bottom. So 15" x 8" x 15" (38 x 20 x 38) wouldn't be a bad height, but the other problem is what to do with the ruddy sub-woofer, which is a 13" (33cm) cube. Obviously I can't go plonking a PC next to it (well, not if I want the HDD to last any time at all!)

Thanks

cheaper for a reason the 1333 FSB of the e6750 makes it a little trickier to overclock, but yeah if you're not planning on OC'ing then the 6750 will be fine.

Also I have to agree with seagates being the best drives, I have had 2 IBM drives die on me, and 1 that started making funny noises but stopped. I currently have 3 seagate drives all in daily use (2 for around 3 years) and none have failed (so far).
    Well the IBM drives must be pretty old because, IIRC, IBM sold their storage arm to Hitachi some years ago.

I have a very old machine (386 or thereabouts) with a Seagate drive and, the last time I powered it up (only a few months ago, it was fine).

I've tried: - WD, Samsung, Maxtor (known as Crapstor in some quarters - mine included) and Hitachi and I've found them all wanting. Seagate is the only brand I want near any PC that I own.

Sarah

P.S. I'm not planning on over-clocking, let's make that absolutely crystal.

Honored
    Thanks
    • ackrite26's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5E-VM HDMi G35
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD 4850 512mb
      • PSU:
      • 425W Enermax MOD82+
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SGO2W
      • Operating System:
      • XP Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" Flatron
      • Internet:
      • Cable - 4Gb

as a quick glance at my user-name and real name will tell you, I am most certainly not male,
    I am sorry for percieving that you are a guy, I didnt really look at your user name &/or real name.

Methinks you've posted to the wrong thread!
    As for posting in the wrong thread then I think your half right, half wrong. I must have read somewhere else that this was a first time build but the bit about overclocking was in refrence to this comment.

cheaper for a reason the 1333 FSB of the e6750 makes it a little trickier to overclock, but yea if your not planning on OC'ing then the 6750 will be fine.
    As you are not overclocking then I advise you to go with the E6750 as it is faster than the E6600 and £20 cheaper.

Thanks

£650 should be get you a mid grade pc

Thanks
    • mycarsavw's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P8H77-M Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 3350P
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R9 285
      • PSU:
      • HX 620w
      • Case:
      • FD Define Mini
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ G2420HDBL + GL2450HT
      • Internet:
      • Sky

It's been covered above but your budget - £650. Your chosen case - £150.

The "normal" P182 is £82 and would give you more cash to spend on "better" hardware. Add a bit of tin foil to the case and you're almost there
    |Kata: "Read title as 'fisting'. Not sure why I clicked. Relieved, really."|
    |TAKTAK: "It was so small that mine wouldn't fit into it"|

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information