Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless Touch Screen Monitor

Thanks

Wireless Touch Screen Monitor

Hi friendly Hexus people.

A few ideas going through my head recently. One of them was: Is it possible to have a wireless display for your computer?

My HTPC is connected to a 720p projector. I currently use a wireless keyboard to control the PC. However, I think it would be quite cool to have a duplicate display of what's on the large display "in my hands". So I'd need another monitor.

I'd like the monitor to be touch screen because, basically, touch is cool. I've already seen Origen AE's T12, which I like (even though it's VGA not DVI/HDMI or better still DisplayPort).

Trouble with this monitor is I'd need to have the HTPC near where I am so the T12's "umbilical" cable could reach, and not trail across the floor. I also can't ascertain whether the "dock" is removable or not. It wouldn't be particularly ergonomic, if it was permanently stuck to the monitor.

Even better, in my view, would be a monitor between 7 and 12 inches that had touch and was wireless (preferably with a charging dock).

I can't find one, however.

It makes sense that something like this will materialise with the advent of Wireless USB. I just can't see if it exists - yet.

Several "slates" (including Apple's iPad) are flooding the markets - they don't seem to have the functionality to serve as an additional monitor, though. (Or do they!?)

MaxiVista can enable another computer to emulate the functionality of a duplicated monitor through software. I'd consider using my aging HP TC1100, but touch drivers don't work in MaxiVista. The software also disables DXVA and (therefore) Aero, both of which I'd ideally like to keep.

Can you help?

[PS: I hope this is reasonably clear. I can use further posts to clarify if needed.]
    Last edited by baius; 09-05-2010 at 11:32 PM.

Baius
    Tech: NAS | D2 | L1 | N1 | T2 | U1 | P3

0iD@TWDJT: P: Test flight OK, except auto-land very rough.
    S: Auto-land not installed on this aircraft.

Thanks
    • adz08's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6X58D
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 920 @ 3.5 Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 3 x 2 GB Corsair XMS3
      • Storage:
      • 1 x OCZ Apex 60 GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD 5850
      • PSU:
      • Zalman Heatpipe 750 Watts
      • Case:
      • Cosmos
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64

Re: Wireless Touch Screen Monitor

Can't think of anything like that off the top of my head. Not wireless anyway.

How about an iPad with a VNC app? Probably cost about the same too...!

3. Received thanks from:

baius (13-05-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adz08 View Post
    How about an iPad with a VNC app?
    Thank you for being the first to reply.

I have considered the idea you proposed, but don't know how well the iPad will duplicate the resolution of my 720p projector. It would probably be a nightmare if I ever upgraded to 1080p.

Futhermore, although I haven't researched this particularly thoroughly (can't spell that word!?), I don't know of a VNC app that will duplicate a screen you already have on your computer. Don't they log your "attached" screen out to take control of the host PC remotely?

Baius

Thanks
    • mycarsavw's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P8H77-M Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 3350P
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R9 285
      • PSU:
      • HX 620w
      • Case:
      • FD Define Mini
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ G2420HDBL + GL2450HT
      • Internet:
      • Sky

I was about to suggest something like the O2 Joggler running Ubuntu Netbook Edition, but I'm not convinced it'll do everything you want it to do (or that I fully understand what it is you want to do )

Quote Originally Posted by baius View Post
    Futhermore, although I haven't researched this particularly thoroughly (can't spell that word!?), I don't know of a VNC app that will duplicate a screen you already have on your computer. Don't they log your "attached" screen out to take control of the host PC remotely?
    I use RealVNC daily and have no issues with the remote screen being logged out. You can disable the remote user's keyboard and mouse, you can even set it to log out when you disconnect, but as far as I can tell, in all the time I've been using it, no one has ever been logged out when I connect.

edit:

If "all" you need to do is remotely control a PC over wireless then any of the VNC apps out there will do that with ease. Remote Desktop would give you fullscreen duplication too.

The potential issue comes with the unit you wish to use as a control. I'll try my Joggler tonight to see if I can use VNC to control my XP laptop and/or my Vista desktop and let you know if you want?
    Last edited by mycarsavw; 11-05-2010 at 04:53 PM.
    |Kata: "Read title as 'fisting'. Not sure why I clicked. Relieved, really."|
    |TAKTAK: "It was so small that mine wouldn't fit into it"|

6. Received thanks from:

baius (13-05-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mycarsavw View Post
    I was about to suggest something like the O2 Joggler running Ubuntu Netbook Edition...

I use RealVNC daily... I can use VNC to control my XP laptop and/or my Vista desktop and let you know if you want?
    Thank you for your reply, "My Cars A VW". (I finally worked your name out... )

Joggler: I have looked into the O2 Joggler. I may buy one at some point, just for a new toy. They look fab. I hadn't thought of running Linux on it. (Ponders.)

VNC: Functionality-wise, it depends whether the VNC app lets me mirror the screen that's on the projector, as said.

I'll be honest, I need to do more research into RealVNC. I have just checked out their website, and it says "you could use VNC to take control of your relative's PC in California and show them how to install and use some new software package by actually doing it yourself". Necessarily, therefore, both screens would need to be seeing the same content.

My next question is do both screens need to be the same resolution? I fear that the "control" (Server) computer/device (if iPad/Joggler) would need a resolution at least as great as the "slave" (Viewer) computer. Otherwise you may get a situation where you're controlling the other PC in "windowed mode" - yuck.

Test on XP/Vista: Regarding your offer, I'd be grateful if you could try one thing, please: start up a video from the server and see if the viewer computer will play, with sound. Obviously, 720p/1080p won't stream well over the Internet, but it should be OK across a LAN. Does VNC support that, or does the stream have to go through their servers?

Baius

Thanks
    • adz08's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6X58D
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 920 @ 3.5 Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 3 x 2 GB Corsair XMS3
      • Storage:
      • 1 x OCZ Apex 60 GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD 5850
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Cosmos
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64

Hi

I currently have my PC setup with RealVNC and have an app on my iPhone which I use to control my PC remotely. It doesn't log out your current screen you would just see the mouse moving on the monitor.

VNC doesn't use websites to logon, the RealVNC software installs a server which a VNC view connects directly too.

There is a down side though, VNC is very slow to refresh the remote devices screen. So its no good for watching videos on the remote device or playing games or anything.

If you want to watch videos the only thing you can really do at the moment is have a screen directly attached to the PC.

There is also SteamMyGame.com which is similar to VNC, but you need to login via a browser. Its for playing games remotely. I guess this could work on one of them convertable laptops that are about at the moment?

Technojunkie
    Thanks

Why doesn't it exist ? There isn't a market for it, as it would cost a few hundred quid, and basically be a laptop in itself.

Doing it the other the other way round is more common for presenting etc

Tablet/convertable touchscreen laptop wirelessly transmitting its display to the projector/screen:

@ £109.98
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/171022

or google wireless vga projectors which do similar:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002GBZI5...SIN=B002GBZI5I
    Last edited by mikerr; 12-05-2010 at 11:19 AM.
    Chrome & Firefox addons for BBC News
    Follow me @twitter

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

I strongly suspect you could do what you want using any android device and a free VNC viewer, of which there are a couple. I'll have a play tonight: if it works there are plenty of Android smartphones available at the minute pretty cheap, and a few companies are planning android-based slates in the next few months, too...

11. Received thanks from:

baius (13-05-2010)

Thanks
    • adz08's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6X58D
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 920 @ 3.5 Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 3 x 2 GB Corsair XMS3
      • Storage:
      • 1 x OCZ Apex 60 GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD 5850
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Cosmos
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64

VNC plus a touchscreen device is reall the only way to go with this I think. I guess having one of them convertable laptops from HP (I think Asus are doing and eeetop similar?) would at least mean you get a laptop out of the deal too.

VNC is too slow for watching videos though, probably ok for internet browsing.

Thanks

Thank you all for help. I've given "thanks" to peepz' above. (Sorry not to do that earlier...)

Following your (plural) excellent advice, I finally used a trial of RealVNC Enterprise, and have decided to use it from now on beween my desktop and (rather lovely ) HP TX2 Tablet PC. (Enterprise may be overkill, but: oh well.)

The short:
    TX2's Touch Screen: works.
    TX2's Wireless: works.

This does exactly what I'm after - gives me remote control of my PC.

I am:
    • typing this on my TX2's keyboard - I've never realised, but it's much, much nicer and faster to touch type on than my desktop's Microsoft 8000.
    • However, I'm looking at at my Dell 2407 @ 1920x1200.

My TX2's screen, whilst only 1280x800, does a reasonable job of emulating the 1080/1200p of my desktop. I therefore have hope that I could use a smaller 800x480 resolution dedicated device to mirror the content on my 720p projector.

Technical notes:
    • Comodo is giving me a hard time, but I'm sure I'll be able to resolve that in time.
    • As predicted, video over wireless (and LAN, strangely) is disgusting (1fps) - but that doesn't matter.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH - I'M SO HAPPY! (It's not often in life you get exactly what you're after...)

Baius

Thanks
    • adz08's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6X58D
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 920 @ 3.5 Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 3 x 2 GB Corsair XMS3
      • Storage:
      • 1 x OCZ Apex 60 GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD 5850
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Cosmos
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64

Pleased we could help!

How do you find the TX2? Thinking of getting one myself! (it is the laptop with the spinny screen thing? get confused by HP's naming!)

Registered+
    Thanks

I've never quite understood the point of a touch screen monitor. If you have it on your desk you can use a mouse and keyboard and if you have it attached to the lounge wall! (which Medion advertises) it somehow misses the point. I also thought that touch screen monitors don't last as long as others, probably with grubby fingerprints all over it.

Technojunkie
    Thanks

Touchscreens are much more intuitive for casual users for single clicks,
    perfect on laptops, but less so on desktops are you're often too far from the screen.

The older resistive type also needed more pressure (nails or stylus, not fingers),
    but the newer capacitive screens (like iphone) work with zero pressure, and the pads of your fingers.
    Chrome & Firefox addons for BBC News
    Follow me @twitter

Thanks
    • mycarsavw's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P8H77-M Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 3350P
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R9 285
      • PSU:
      • HX 620w
      • Case:
      • FD Define Mini
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ G2420HDBL + GL2450HT
      • Internet:
      • Sky

Glad to be of (some) assistance!

Quote Originally Posted by jadamso View Post
    I also thought that touch screen monitors don't last as long as others, probably with grubby fingerprints all over it.
    I'm no expert, but I believe someone invented a device for cleaning things a few years ago
    |Kata: "Read title as 'fisting'. Not sure why I clicked. Relieved, really."|
    |TAKTAK: "It was so small that mine wouldn't fit into it"|

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Apologies for the relative lateness of this update, but it might be useful to others wanting to try something similar.

Finally got round to downloading RealVNC Free edition for my XP Laptop this evening, and after a bit of fiddling (and finally remembering to open the relevant port on Windows Firewall ) I managed to set up controlling the laptop via the free AndroidVNC viewer from my HTC Magic. Worked perfectly, and the pan / zoom / mouse control of the viewer is pretty intuitive. Now I just need to play a bit more and see if I can get it working for Win 7 so I can control my HTPC with it

19. Received thanks from:

baius (22-05-2010)

Thanks

In reverse order of posts:
    Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    Finally got round to downloading RealVNC Free edition for my XP Laptop this evening, and...
    Thanks for doing that. It's good to know that it works on XP. My C7-powered HP 2133 uses Windows 7 now, but it did run better on XP. (See below.) I may switch back... Your comment is therefore helpful. Thank you. (The 2133 ain't touch screen, but it could still be useful for remote access.) (Edit: added strikes.)

Quote Originally Posted by adz08 View Post
    Pleased we could help!

How do you find the TX2?
    Firstly, thanks again.

HP TX2: So that we're on the same (web...) page, I ordered this:

I think it's absolutely wonderful, with a few caveats.

HDD->SSD: First thing I did was to install an SSD. Wow. It was fast with the 7200rpm 320gb SATA HDD that came with it, but with an Intel X25-M G1 80GB - stolen from my (upgraded) HP 2133 - it flies. As nippy as my Core 2 E6600 + VelociRaptor system. My new i5 660 + Intel G2 160GB (which I'm now able to remote-control...) definitely beats it though. (How I test.)

I've noticed my (non-TRIM) SSD slow down and may reinstall Windows 7.

Caveats: After I installed Win7 onto the new drive, I tried to install HP's drivers. I partially succeeded:
    • The mute/un-mute button is meant to switch between red/white (respectively). It stays on red regardless of what I do to try and make it switch.
    • It will not switch to portrait when you go into "slate" mode. (Screen facing outwards.) In fact, the display goes blank, but stays on, and the system freezes.
    • Touch works intermittently. When it works it's gorgeous, but:
      [**]It's affected by standby. If it works before standby, it may or may not work after resume. If it does not work before standby, it may or may not work after resume.
      [**]Sometimes it will stop responding if you don't touch the screen for 10 seconds. I'll be reading something on Hexus (!), I'll use my finger to try and scroll down, and it'll not respond.

Despite the above, I contend that it's the best computer I've ever used; and that includes the many computers I've built for myself and others. HP did a very, very good job IMHO.

Sorry if this is slightly off-topic...
    Last edited by baius; 23-05-2010 at 02:31 PM.

Baius

21. Received thanks from:

adz08 (19-05-2010)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information