Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Which car are you MOST likely to see rammed up your exhaust pipe on a Motorway?

Thanks

Re: Which car are you MOST likely to see rammed up your exhaust pipe on a Motorway?

Quote Originally Posted by rastamanblues View Post
    Well there is a slight exception to the german rule, if its anything special, e.g GTI, R32, RS4, M5 etc, then drive with much more care and attention, and seem to also have a genuine interest in cars
    Hmm...I maybe the exception here as I find the ones who obscenely speed and try and ram you off the roads ARE RS4s, M3s, M5s, Golf R32s...maybe it's me or where I drive.

Either way, it doesn't matter what the car is, it's the personality of the driver. I've seen cars ranging from Fiestas to Bentlys to Evos in various states from stock to 'modified' belting it in the outside lane being idiotic.

I also see people being idiotic in the inside lane of a motorway doing 50mph or less...(this is in good driving conditions).

Some of the most courteous (and safe) drivers have been a massive mixture from stock cars to 'sports' cars to highly tuned cars. On a regular basis I'll see S13s, Skyline R32s/33s, Evos, scoobies doing there or thereabouts the speed limits...why speed when your car sticks out like a sore thumb?

Just came to mind, the worse offenders are ALWAYS rep mobiles...which are low end 3 series BMWs and the ilk (vectras, modeos etc. etc. not just German mobiles). Argh...Passat drivers... :shudder:

/quit rant

Thanks

Re: Which car are you MOST likely to see rammed up your exhaust pipe on a Motorway?

Usually a 3-series here too... and not ALL white vans are driven by nuggets... I drive mine sensibly .

Quote Originally Posted by The Quentos
    "My udder is growing. Quick pass me the parsely sauce." Said Oliver.

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit

I really can't pinpoint a single marque. I find it's increasing numbers by the day They certainly won't get me moving any faster though if I'm rightfully in whatever lane. They can be bloody patient, or overtake me
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

Thanks
    • Lowe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 4690K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 256GB and 1TB spindle drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit Geforce GTX1080 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 600w
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Silencio 352 m-ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7/Mac OSX
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" 1080p AOC, Oculus Rift CV1
      • Internet:
      • 200mb Virgin VIVID

Other people catch you up...?

The only thing I get on my bumper is a Volvo with flashing lights.

j/k officer.

No Motorway fun for me because I'm stuck on a push bike...
    Last edited by Lowe; 21-12-2007 at 01:43 PM.

Thanks

none, because if you get, you are going slow

Thanks

TBH the Golf doesn't surprise me, my 2004 Golf 2.0 TDI was a nightmare for this mostly because you were usually going a lot faster than you thought, but also because the car was too smart you didn't know if you were doing anything wrong.
    Let me clarify, you drive too fast and take a roundabout too quickly the car corrected it and an orange light came on the dash. If you braked hard on the motorway in rain, the light came on and it slowed down. Don't get me wrong you got the feeling something was happening but you didn't really know what it was - the car just corrected any issues. In the end I called it the "oops, you've been a d**k" light.

Problem was this led to a false confidence, you could drive up someone's exhaust pipe on the motorway because you knew the car would fix everything and every time you looked down you nearly had a heart attack at how fast you were going. The Golf felt the same doing well over a ton as it did doing 40 - basically nothing. When the Golf went back and I got the BMW it all changed, the orange light on this one is the "ooops, bye bye back-end" light. I nearly lost it twice in the first week after going straight from the Golf and I really do blame the Golf it made me lazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mock Turtle
    “Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with, and then the different branches of arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision."
    System:Atari 2600 CPU:8-bit 6507 (1.19MHz) RAM:128 bytes Colours: 16 (4 on screen) Resolution: 192x160

Demonizing
    Thanks
    • Optical668's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel Purebreed Masterboard
      • CPU:
      • 80,000 GHZ Flux Capacitor
      • Memory:
      • Six Hundred and Sixty Six Megs of Ramming Speed
      • Storage:
      • Western Digital Powerdrive Ten Thousand Terabytes
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 88 Thousand Supercard
      • PSU:
      • Nuclear Fussion Core Reactor 1.21 gigawatts
      • Case:
      • Akasa 62 Reactor Housing
      • Monitor(s):
      • 100" Iiyama LCD
      • Internet:
      • OC-768 40,000 Mbit/s

Im a reg motorway user, i use the M4 twice everyweek to get from MK to Bristol and i can honestly say its BMWs...
    Hell and Fire was spawned to be released.

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Quote Originally Posted by Barakka View Post
    In the end I called it the "oops, you've been a d**k" light.
    I like it. Mine showed it's head today. Bad mood combined with cold tyres and damp roads tent to light it up

Thanks
    • kopite's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 2500K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz Corsair Memory Vengeance Black
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Crucial m4 for main drive. 3.5 TB of storage space over western Digital Drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 970 G1 Gaming Edition
      • PSU:
      • 750W ANTEC TRUEPOWER
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 1 x 27 inch dell Monitor 1 x 20 inch Dell monitor
      • Internet:
      • Virgin media 150MB

I have that same light its called ESP in the pugs

Cam on a few times lately even had it on in third gear due to the icy roads

Registered+
    Thanks

In my personal experience i find Audi A3 drivers the worst for tailgating, weaving through traffic etc.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

In my experience, it tends to be wannabe cars, rather than a particular marque, though I'd agree BMW are right up there. Yeah sure, you'll sometimes get the performance variants (M-series, etc) with a pillock driving, but it seems to me to usually be those with more mundane (probably company) versions that seem to think, or wish, they were driving M3s or M5s (etc) that do it.

A couple of years ago, I watched an M5 come aggressively up behind a estate (Volvo, I think), sit about 3-feet from the bumper and flash his lights. Imagine my delight when the Volvo lit up his "Police - STOP" sign and pulled the pillock in the M5 over.

Thanks
    • staffsMike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • evga 680i
      • CPU:
      • e6600
      • Memory:
      • geil ultra pc6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • ocz gameXstream 700w
      • Case:
      • akasa eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • dell 2007wfp and Lg L194WT
      • Internet:
      • pipex homecall

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    A couple of years ago, I watched an M5 come aggressively up behind a estate (Volvo, I think), sit about 3-feet from the bumper and flash his lights. Imagine my delight when the Volvo lit up his "Police - STOP" sign and pulled the pillock in the M5 over.
    oooo you never mess with volvos especially on the motorway

I have another to add to the list. New range rovers. Had 3 of them rubbing my bumper the other day.

I suppose this thread should contain a little bit about lane discipline. I'm sure everyone here is perfectly responsible with regard to what lane they should actually be in but I have occasionally got closer than I would prefer to register my frustration with drivers staying in outer lanes when it compeletly unnecessary.

This lead's onto a question, is it still considered undertaking when you are in lane 1 and the annoying lane hogger is in lane 3?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by staffsMike View Post

Didn't you have an impreza before though? Your sins are forgiven

It's hibernating (18mpg and 700 Xmas miles do not a season of goodwill make)... and I don't think I drive thatdifferently in either (although the driving the Golf, you need to keep your momentum up on the M/Way)...

Managed to aviod all the traffic yesterday by using Roman roads to get home - not a bit of traffic to tailgate :disappointed:

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Thanks
    • GoNz0's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 something X99 based
      • Memory:
      • 16gb GSkill
      • Storage:
      • 4 SSD's + WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX980 Strix WC
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy 1250 (9 years and counting)
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • win10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • 220mb Cable

if your in the outside lane and there is room to pull over, then pull over instead of pissing off the guy behind.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoNz0 View Post
    if your in the outside lane and there is room to pull over, then pull over instead of pissing off the guy behind.
    I completely agree .... subject to defining how much room is "room to pull over".

At one extreme, you get the bloke sitting in the outside lane when there's nothing in front of him, in sight, in any lane. And as far as we know, nothing in front of him on the same continent. But he still won't pull over.

At the other extreme, you can be doing 80 in the outside lane, with fairly heavy traffic, and the bloke behind expects you to pull over because you happen to be passing a gap in the middle lane that's six inches longer than your car.

Obviously, the vast bulk of experiences will be somewhere between these extremes.

If there's a reasonable gap, and if circumstances permit, I'll pull over regardless of whether anyone behind is trying to go faster. That is, I'd pull over anyway, even if there was nobody behind.

But, if I'm in a stream of traffic, all doing about the same speed, and the bloke behind wants to get past because it gains him a bit of road, one car length at a time, then if I do pull over, I stand a decent chance of getting stuck in a slower-moving lane when I catch up to the next guy in the middle lane in 30 seconds time. I'll then have a considerable job getting back out into the outside lane and end up going slower than I wanted to or needed to, had I just stayed put. Under that kind of situation, and providing I'm doing at least the legal speed limit, I'm not pulling over just because there's a gap where it's feasible I that I could have.

I'm also aware that motorway lane-changing is a manoeuvre that is higher risk than simply staying in your own lane, so I'll do it when I consider it to be safe, and that isn't determined by some impatient git in the car behind that's determined to break the speed limit by a little bit more than everyone else in the outside lane is already managing.

In other words, yes, pull over "when there's room", but when that is is not a straight-forward issue and isn't determined by someone else's impatience.

Not Very Senior Member RavenNight's Avatar
    Thanks

Provided you're doing the limit, is there any real need to pull over?
    AMD 3700+ San Diego @ 2.8GHz | Zalman CNPS 9500LED + Arctic Cooling MX-1 | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe + Zalman Northbridge | 1024MB DDR RAM (2 x 512MB Corsair XMS Pro TwinX) | Leadtek nVidia 6600GT 128MB | Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Music | 2x80GB Hitachi Deskstar SATA-II (RAID 0) | Gigabyte 3D Aurora Case | Hiper Type-R 580W Modular | Enermax Ultimate Fan Controller| Microsoft Nautral 4000 | Logitech G5 + fUnc 1030| Ideazon Fang | SpeedLink Medusa 5.1 Surround Headset | Samsung SM913N 19" TFT | Compro DVB-T200

"Dell? You get better tech support with a cheese sandwich"

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information