Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Problems with my Peugeot 306 any ideas??

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens Nest
    I bought a Peugeot 306 XR 1.4 L reg 3 weeks ago and when i first got it seemed to be a great little car but a week later it has started to Bunny hop at low speeds and the rev counter is moving between 10-20,000 revs with out me touching the gas and the car keeps spluttering when this happens.

When i get going onto the motorway at about 70 or above it runs great but as soon as i get down to less than 30 mphs and especially at roundabouts or in traffic jams it starts to bunny hop again.

I've checked the oil and all the leads are on properly i even had the garage i got it from have a look and they checked it over and cant workout why it is doing this.

And to make matters worse i smashed the front right Headlamp when i let the bonnet go down with gravity ( iwas a little annoyed at the time) and not by lowering slowly like i should have so i also need a good scrap yard near where i live if anyway knows of any i'd much appreciate it

P.S. i live it the west thurrock area near grays, purfleet & Aveley..

I Have just started to get the same sort of problem. I had the lamba sensor or whatever it is done a little while ago now it has started revving up and down constanty between 10-25,000 rev's. I have a couple of garages look at my car and they think it could be a fuel sensor problem. If anyone can pin point this problem please let me know cheers.....

Ravens Nest
    Well my peugeot problem was found to be a bit of circuitry that is next to the throttle cable in the engine.

It's housed in a plastic box near the throttle cable, it has a self adjusting thread with rubber around it to keep it sealed and it should move back and forth depending on how much you rev the engine, it keeps the the car from stalling when idle, and also keeps the revs constant and not erratic.

I wish i could remember what it's official name is, well what ever the name is i had it replaced by the garage and it's been alright ever since (Touch wood)

To find out if thats what maybe wrong with your car, start the car, open the bonnet and look for what i described above and then pull the throttle cable you should see the valve (Thread thingymejig) moving back and forth and if it's not moving then thats probably whats wrong.
    Last edited by Ravens Nest; 02-03-2005 at 04:29 PM.

Thanks
    I wish i could remember what it's official name is
    idle control valve?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavpug
    now it has started revving up and down constanty between 10-25,000 rev's.
    25,000 eek
    I had the same problem on my 306 1.8 16v - it would appear to have been the idle control valve sticking - unfortunatley mine appeared to be part of the complete throttle casing but a hefty squirt of cleaner appeared to pacify it somewhat...... in the end I gave it back to the finance company though as the G.Box was on its way out.... bloomin french cars

Ravens Nest
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz316
    idle control valve?
    Thats it thanks raz316

Quote Originally Posted by Eazieb
    25,000 eek
    I had the same problem on my 306 1.8 16v - it would appear to have been the idle control valve sticking - unfortunatley mine appeared to be part of the complete throttle casing but a hefty squirt of cleaner appeared to pacify it somewhat...... in the end I gave it back to the finance company though as the G.Box was on its way out.... bloomin french cars
    The bloke i called out used WD40 on the "idle control valve" to stop it from sticking, that didnt work but the actual circuitry was not working anyway so it wasnt sending a command to the idle control valve, so it needed a replacement.
    Last edited by Ravens Nest; 15-03-2005 at 10:07 PM.

Thanks
    Have a problem with my 106{1.1 petrol} where it sometimes cuts out at stop signs and roundabouts. Got it checked out and was told it could be the throttle body control module. Its the electronic bit of plastic which is screwed onto the front of the throttle body. Does any 1 else know anything about this

Thanks
    i had a problem very similar on my 306 2.0 petrol. it kept stalling and the rev's were dropping very low all the time. it happen to be the lamba sensor, the i picked up another problem where my car was constantly revvin up n down, that was the idle control motoer or stepper motor.

Thanks

Bunny Hoping 306

Did you manage to rectify the fault on your 306.
    We have just had a horrific time with Glanden Motors Preston Peugeot Main Dealer with EXACTLY the same fault. After fitting a pressure switch, thermostat and a stepper motor the fault persists. The garage claims that the fault is indeed now rectified and that something else is causing a similar fault. Consequently, they refuse to return the cost of the unsuccessful repair, now claiming that a throttle body and another sensor need to be replaced in addition to the previously fitted components.

Ravens Nest
    Just an update as this thread keeps coming back from the dead

My Peugeut 306 1.4 XR "L" Reg is running great now it was the "idle control valve" that had caused all the problems i had with stalling and Bunny hopping, i got that replaced by the garage i bought the car from.

I found out my statuary rights are 3 months return to seller when you buy from a garage and you can either have them fix the problem or give you a full refund.

So used that to make sure all the problems with the car were fixed

Thanks everyone for your helpful advice, and i hope this thread might help others who are having the same problems.

Thanks
    Erratic idling is a common problem with 306's (and all Pugs with XU engines). I've just had the problem with my 1997 2.0 16v XSi. I had poor idling, sometimes even stopping altogether at traffic lights etc, and also poor response and a drop in power. First thing I did was change the oil. I suspected that the garage that serviced my car last put rubbish oil in, or oil of the the wrong grade (XU engines - i.e. 1.8 and 2.0 - need 15W 40 oil, not sure about 1.4 or 1.6, prob the same). The wrong grade of oil means that the hydraulic tappets, which rely on oil pressure to maintain a tight gap between camshaft lobes and valves (16v engines only) won't work properly, which mean the valves won't open as much as they should and therefore the engine lacks power and response. Before I drained the old oil I used some Wynn's Engine Flush (fiver from Halfords) to remove crap left behind from rubbish oil. Replace the filter too. The idling problem itself was solved by removing the throttle body and giving it a clean up with solvent - i used brake degreaser, which did the job. Basically, the crankcase is vented into the throttle body so that unburnt hydrocarbons that get past the pistons get a second chance at being burnt. The crap oil led to the internal workings of the throttle body getting cacked up with a sticky varnish - this was stopping the idle control valve from operating correctly. Stuck closed and your engine stops, stuck open it idles at 1500 to 2000 rpm. This isn't as big a job as it sounds - undo some electrical connections, couple of hoses (there may be a hose from top of engine cover to throttle body, remove and make sure there's no cack inside) and three bolts. Just take care not to damage gaskets.

If that little lot doesn't return your Pug to it's former glory then you're probably looking at sensor failure, dirty electrical connectors or a dodgy ECU (the latter is very unlikely).

Good luck!
    Ripped this from the preloved.com forum, there seems to be quite a few problems with irratic idling...

ExhaustGases - Gallery of my car photo's

Thanks
    Whoops soz didn't see your last post - Damn I'm always late for everything

ExhaustGases - Gallery of my car photo's

Ravens Nest
    no problem lol

Thanks
    I think this is common with Pugs, my mums 306 had the same problem, was the lambda sensor.

G4 PowerMac - Tiger 10.4 - 512MB RAM
    MacBook - 2Ghz - 1GB RAM - 120GB HDD

Rotel RC970BX | DBX DriveRack |2x Rotel RB850
    B&W DM640i | Velodyne 1512

Thanks

Red face Help Please

Can anyone please tell me what the recommended wheel size and tyre listings are for a Peugeot 306, R reg, 1.4. I have today been told that the 165 etc.... that my car was supplied with are incorrect and that I should have 185's. I must admit, I have gone through tyres like nobodies business. Are my wheels right, OK or wrong??

Many thanks!

Thanks
    • dkmech's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @3.16GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4gb ddr2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 2*640gb WD Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 6970
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 690
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Hanns G, 19" Hyundai L90D+
      • Internet:
      • 14Mb
    Which variant of the 306 1.4 is it? www.kwick-fit.com gives different sizes for different models with the 1.4 engine. Just go there and try for yourself. Its under products and services, tyres, then enter number plate and model details.
    Tough on mirrors, tough on the causes of mirrors.

XTR
    Va-va-vooom
    Thanks
    185/65r14

*Disclaimer* - The contents of this message are not necessarily my own opinions,thoughts or views... they may belong to the voices in my head!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information