Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: speeding...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J4MES
    (lets face it, anyone bee pulled for doing less than 90 recently?),
    Quote Originally Posted by me
    getting an SP30 for 68 in a 60 didn't help either
    ok thats not on motorway , but it was an open single carriageway with a good few miles visability and no junctions for at least a mile.

Also at over a ton , your not just going to get 3 points and a slap on the wrist , you are looking at a court apperance , which is going to be hassle.

While I would agree with you that motorway accident rates are lower , I'd have though that if you do get involved in a RTA on the motorway , its going to hurt a while lot more.
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    i do, but 90% of the time its unintentional. if i'm being careful then i dont. occasionally i try a highspeed run in my car, which i guess is a little naughty, had 112 out of the 1.4 so far
    hughlunnon@yahoo.com | I have sigs turned off..

One skin, two skin......
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Moby-Dick
    ok thats not on motorway , but it was an open single carriageway with a good few miles visability and no junctions for at least a mile.

Also at over a ton , your not just going to get 3 points and a slap on the wrist , you are looking at a court apperance , which is going to be hassle.

While I would agree with you that motorway accident rates are lower , I'd have though that if you do get involved in a RTA on the motorway , its going to hurt a while lot more.

Not really, the speed differences are much lower on the motorway than most other roads, as there is no traffic coming towards you.

One skin, two skin......
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrs fraggie
    meeeee

only on straight roads where i no its safe, and i no there are no kids around.

oh and i also hate it when people sit up your bum so i slow right down then stick my foot down when they go to overtake they soon drop back

* slaps wrist *

You do realise what you are doing is potentially attempted murder don't you? What if someone tries to overtake, you give it a boot full of the loud pedal, they commit to the manouver they have started to pull and then find they are doing 75-80 past you and a car comes the other way doing 60?

Besides, the highway code says that you should NOT accelerate if someone tries to overtake and, in fact says that you should slow down, if necessary.

Thanks
    Theres a stretch of road betwen Minehead and Taunton where (no joke) every 100 yards there is a speed limit change - think its like 30-50-20-50-40-30...each with its own speed and camera sign....I just plow through there at 50...its a bloddy straight road!

Also speed in my learner car - as its a 1.9 TDi its very difficult not to speed!

Richard - are you like a coppa or something?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big RICHARD
    Not really, the speed differences are much lower on the motorway than most other roads, as there is no traffic coming towards you.
    Tell that to Private Pyle - I'm sure the wrecks he'll be rescuing people off the M1 are just a graze ?

what about a good old Lefthand Drive lorry sideswipe ?

In personal experience , the nastiest looking RTA's I've seen have been on the motorway.

also , if someone is exceeding the speed limit by 30mph , and someone else is exceeding it by 10mph then you've still got a 20mph dV oh and that bridge support doesn't seem to be moving all that rapidly. ( yes I know theres armoc around it but hitting a crash barrier at that high speed is not going to be good at the best of times )

please note , I'm not an anti speeding Zealot, I do drive a quick car ( when the blasted thing is on the road ) but I do think that intentional speeding is best left to the track , even if the M1 at 4am looks very tempting
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

Thanks

oh and i also hate it when people sit up your bum so i slow right down then stick my foot down when they go to overtake they soon drop back

* slaps wrist *
    agreed with big richard, thats bloody stupid and potentially dangerous.

had it not occured to you that the driver behind was getting close prior to his overtaking manouver to minimse his exposure when overtaking ( as is the way on the continent )

If someone is driving like a eedjit then the best thing is to let them get away from you , you dont want to be around when they do have an accident or decide that they've had enough of people "brake testing" them in that way and set about you with a tyre iron ? dont let them drag you down to their level !

Thanks
    • Lowe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 4690K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 256GB and 1TB spindle drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit Geforce GTX1080 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 600w
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Silencio 352 m-ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7/Mac OSX
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" 1080p AOC, Oculus Rift CV1
      • Internet:
      • 200mb Virgin VIVID
    Yes, every time I get in a car driving I think I'll end up breaking the limit. This isn't to say I'm the spawn of Satan and 'I'm a naughty boy(tm)'. It's simply because the roads around here have stupid, unreasonable speed limits.

Roads that were 50's are now 30's. Long straight roads which have fields either side of them have speed cameras littered along them. NSL roads are now 40's, 40mph dual carridgeways have been turned into super wide single lane 30's.

The council's gone road safety mad, and what has it done? It's just made traffic snarl up, and when it's free from traffic load people ignore the limits.

So, yes - I speed, even in 30 zones around here. Does this make me an unsafe driver? Well that's for you to decide I guess. I consider myself a 'realistic' driver.

Thanks
    Living in MK is a very different environment - all the main roads are NSL ( for now at least ) and the speed camera count is very low. Its a suprisingly nice place for the motorist really.

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    meeeee

only on straight roads where i no its safe, and i no there are no kids around.

* slaps wrist *

I HATE it when people do that. What point have you got to prove? You're driving slow enough so that someone is "sitting up your bum" trying to overtake, then when they do, you don't let them? That's pathetic. And VERY dangerous. Why not let them overtake?

I'm sure one or two people remember the thread I made a while back about someone doing that to us while we were trying to overtake them (They were doing about 28mph in a 40 zone), and a Hyundai Getz cannot outrun a big engined Saab

What do you drive mrs fraggie? I hope the next time you try that, someone with a lot of horsepower under their bonnet manages to fly past you
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

Thanks
    ok ok chaps / chapesses , I think the point has been made with Mrs Fraggie. She ought to be enjoying the view form the doghouse at the moment , but lets not rub it in.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowe
    So, yes - I speed, even in 30 zones around here. Does this make me an unsafe driver? Well that's for you to decide I guess. I consider myself a 'realistic' driver.

... i'm not picking on you, most Hexites have said the same... my point is.. we all think we all know better - we're all 'realistic' drivers... so we ignore speed limits and drive at a speed we decide is appropriate... the speed limits have clearly been set by someone who couldn't be trusted to tie his/her own shoelaces, so why should we trust their ability to set the right limits in the right places... i blame Clarkson...

so... will it ever be socially unacceptable to speed? try driving under the speed limits (esp 30/40) and see what happens... and then argue that speed 'isn't a contributing factor' in many accidents - yeah, my a**e...
    http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    to be honest, if someone did what mrs. fraggie suggests (ie speed up when i'm overtaking) and someone starts coming the other way i'd have no qualms at all about sideswiping them to get out the way of the oncoming traffic. its their fault im in the situation, and i'd much rather they hit a tree than myself and another driver hitting each other head on with double the closing speed. so carful doing that to any blue volvos..
    hughlunnon@yahoo.com | I have sigs turned off..

Thanks
    I find it all too easy to go over the limit but I do tend to reel myself back in (even if I do feel it's safe to drive faster) except perhaps on the motorways where it feels safer to do at least 80. Any slower and you're getting boxed in constantly and instead of cars driving up your backside you've got a 30 tonne truck doing it.

I don't find people getting stuck behind me much (town traffic jams excepted of course) even if I'm "only" driving at the speed limit.

Oh, and accelerating as people try to overtake. Please don't. It's as bad as people speeding round the outside of a car that's stopped to let someone turn. People do stupid things and being a good driver doesn't help much when some other idiot does something stupid. If you're lucky you can avoid them...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J4MES
    ... i'm not picking on you, most Hexites have said the same... my point is.. we all think we all know better - we're all 'realistic' drivers... so we ignore speed limits and drive at a speed we decide is appropriate... the speed limits have clearly been set by someone who couldn't be trusted to tie his/her own shoelaces, so why should we trust their ability to set the right limits in the right places... i blame Clarkson...

so... will it ever be socially unacceptable to speed? try driving under the speed limits (esp 30/40) and see what happens... and then argue that speed 'isn't a contributing factor' in many accidents - yeah, my a**e...
    an interesting pov there - you could argue that vehicle design has progressed since the speed limits where set , so we have to bear that in mind ( laws do move on , or we'd have some poor chap with a red flag walking infront of us all the time ! )
    Do you think the media makes speeding look uncool enough ? in the same way they try to dissuade us from smoking / drinking / any other of our few pleasures left in life apart from sodding DIY.

I know anit smoking ads on tele make me want a ciggy , but I dont think anti speeding ones make me want to go out for a blast down the DC and back.

Is it because of the view about "safety" cameras ? and the mass opinion that they are just another way of extracting cash from "the poor motorist" ?

Thanks
    National speed limit, I drive at a comfortable speed. Sometimes it's gonna be under 60 (gotta love our roads) sometimes 75. If I get clocked doing it, I get clocked doing it and won't moan.

20/30/40/50 I slow down to the limit and do my best to keep to it. They're normally put put there for a reason like a village or dodgey junction. I also don't have to drive around keeping a constant lookout for speedtraps that way (motorway traffic works speed limits being the prime example, I just can't be bothered to be speeding up and slowing down for every gatso to gain 2 minutes).

So when I get clocked doing around 35 in a 30 limit on a deserted dual caridgeway (solid central reservation, traffic light controlled crossings and fence either side) at 8am on a sunday morning..... yes, I do feel like I'm being done for perfectly sensible driving.

Yes, I know it's still braking the law, but so is sticking the video on to tape a TV programme then going to watch it at a friends house later. Boo Hoo

Yes, the local speed limits ARE set by total muppets. The giant bypasses near their offices that havn't ever seen an accident get 40mph limits whilst roads like the one I live on (regular RTAs and billed as the most dangerous stretch of road in the UK by the AA a couple of years ago) still sit at 60. Like most devisions of local authority, they're biscuit eating jobsworths.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information