Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Considering moving from Fiesta to a Focus or should I do something else..?

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    I went from a 899CC Cinquecento to a 1.6 Megane... MUCH more power Much nicer to drive... Driving at motorway speeds is effortless up to about 90-100MPH (No I don't make a habit of driving at these speeds... Just tried it once or twice). It accelerates nicely in town, on A roads etc.

But I'm used to it now... And I want more power

Congrats on the new car Shorty I personally would hvae gone for the focus over a Fiesta night and day... Hate the things.. But it's your choice Good luck with it
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerai
    Yeah but from going to a 1L micra to a 1.6 (or above) focus will be a huge difference for me... It's not the height or anything that's the problem but just the perceived size of the car that worries me. I've only ever driven the Micra, so with the change in power i think i would need to get used to it in a car thats a similar size before i move onto something with bigger dimensions and more powah. Does that make sense to anyone?!
    Absolutely complete sense! I had the same thought, which is why after trying a Focus.. I popped for the "baby" version (the Mk6 Fiesta). I've only been qualified to drive for 10 weeks (late developer with some things in life), I just found the Focus too wieldy and I didn't feel safe in it because of it's shear size. In a couple of years, why not

Quote Originally Posted by Howard
    I went from a 899CC Cinquecento to a 1.6 Megane... MUCH more power Much nicer to drive... Driving at motorway speeds is effortless up to about 90-100MPH (No I don't make a habit of driving at these speeds... Just tried it once or twice). It accelerates nicely in town, on A roads etc.

But I'm used to it now... And I want more power

Congrats on the new car Shorty I personally would hvae gone for the focus over a Fiesta night and day... Hate the things.. But it's your choice Good luck with it
    The Mk6 is a different animal though. I've been driving round the old traditional Fezzie for a couple months now and you are right, it sucks! However.. I test drove a Focus & a new Fezzie and they are very similar (well to me anyway). Im really pleased with her and Friday seems soooooooooooo long away!

Quote Originally Posted by chrislusty
    Hi, my first post here asim new, but have been reading these boards for a short time,
    I drove a Cinquecento for over 2years, then drove my GFs clio for two years, now i drive a Mondeo, my GF also drives the mondeo, we are both around 5ft 2. neither of us have problems with the size of the car, ok parking is slightly harder, but apart from that it is very easy to get to grips with and drive.
    Welcome to Hexus mate!

I really did try with the Focus but just didn't feel comfortable in it yet. I need a few more years driving under my belt before I move to a bigger motor. Right now, Im happy to have what I have
    "In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?"

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorty

The Mk6 is a different animal though. )
    Yeah it's the Mk6 I don't like Seats are a bit nasty... But different cars suit different people
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

Thanks
    • Lowe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 4690K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 256GB and 1TB spindle drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit Geforce GTX1080 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 600w
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Silencio 352 m-ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7/Mac OSX
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" 1080p AOC, Oculus Rift CV1
      • Internet:
      • 200mb Virgin VIVID
    Yeah but from going to a 1L micra to a 1.6 (or above) focus will be a huge difference for me... It's not the height or anything that's the problem but just the perceived size of the car that worries me. I've only ever driven the Micra, so with the change in power i think i would need to get used to it in a car thats a similar size before i move onto something with bigger dimensions and more powah. Does that make sense to anyone?!
    One thing to remember - a 1.6 Focus will be practically as gutless as a 1.0l Micra.

Bigger engine != faster car all the time. Power to weight is the key factor, and a Focus with a 1.6 isn't something to write home about. A 2.0l engine in that sized car is where things start to get interesting, so I wouldn't worry about it feeling overpowered.

Don't feed the trolls... tiggerai's Avatar
    Thanks
    • tiggerai's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD PhenomII 955BE
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb Corsair XMS DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire X1950XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-R 550w
      • Case:
      • Antec lovely black thing
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x 20" widescreen
      • Internet:
      • Pipexpants
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowe
    One thing to remember - a 1.6 Focus will be practically as gutless as a 1.0l Micra.

Bigger engine != faster car all the time. Power to weight is the key factor, and a Focus with a 1.6 isn't something to write home about. A 2.0l engine in that sized car is where things start to get interesting, so I wouldn't worry about it feeling overpowered.
    Ok, i don't think we were talking the same kinda 1.6... (the focus also won't be my first choice... the Civic will.)

but come on, a 1997 1l micra has got to have a lot less power than a 2003 1.6 focus, anyday. otherwise they'd just build 1L focuses?! (I might be missing the point here... but it sounded like a good argument) there is also the size issue... a focus is a LOT bigger than a micra... and it's taken me 6 years to learn how big that is!

I want a new car now...

Job, flat, car, man. in that order.
    Last edited by tiggerai; 01-05-2006 at 07:52 PM.

Thanks
    • Lowe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 4690K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 256GB and 1TB spindle drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit Geforce GTX1080 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 600w
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Silencio 352 m-ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7/Mac OSX
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" 1080p AOC, Oculus Rift CV1
      • Internet:
      • 200mb Virgin VIVID
    As I said - it's the Power to Weight ratio that's important. The Focus has about double the power to weight ratio, but it'll still be fairly mundane. The size issue will suprise you - give it a week or so and you'll wonder what you were worried about.

Thanks
    I started driving my parents' Nissan Prarie a couple of months after passing my test and that was a big, long, wide car. After a couple of spins round the block I was absolutely fine, and I learnt to drive in a 2CV and a Corsa so it was a big step up. You soon get used to it (I hope....since about 8 hours from now I'll be behind the wheel of a double decker bus ).

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorty

Welcome to Hexus mate!

I really did try with the Focus but just didn't feel comfortable in it yet. I need a few more years driving under my belt before I move to a bigger motor. Right now, Im happy to have what I have
    Thnaks for the welcome I understand that more drving experience can help, however try a few other cars that are the same soze of focus, you never know.
    At the end of the day its all down to personl choice and people drive with what they are happy with! and thats all that matters i suppose

Thanks
    • hitman67's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AsRock Something
      • CPU:
      • AMD 64 x2 4200+
      • Memory:
      • 1GB DDR Dual Channel
      • Storage:
      • 200gb Samsung Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nividia Go 6100
      • PSU:
      • ColorsIT 400w
      • Case:
      • ColorsIT Cool Case
      • Monitor(s):
      • Compaq 15" TFT
      • Internet:
      • 1mb Broadband
    Best car I've ever driven - Vauxhall Carlton. If you look at them they were Mahooooosive, but really easy to drive, great to park and I loved it (Parent's car.) Was easier to park than my A3 at the time, so it shows size doesn't mean anything.
    [: O |=====|O :] Beyond Fashion Since 1948

Quote Originally Posted by XTR
    Ford Focus - I’m a boy-racer disguised as a sensible office worker at the weekends I'm a curry monster!!
    Correct apart from the working part

Thanks
    • dkmech's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @3.16GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4gb ddr2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 2*640gb WD Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 6970
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 690
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Hanns G, 19" Hyundai L90D+
      • Internet:
      • 14Mb
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman67
    Best car I've ever driven - Vauxhall Carlton. If you look at them they were Mahooooosive, but really easy to drive, great to park and I loved it (Parent's car.) Was easier to park than my A3 at the time, so it shows size doesn't mean anything.
    It depends how you define easier to park - you would probably attempt gaps in your A3 that you would have ignored in the carlton. It might be good for seeing out of, but you can still park a smaller car in smaller spaces
    Tough on mirrors, tough on the causes of mirrors.

Thanks
    • hitman67's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AsRock Something
      • CPU:
      • AMD 64 x2 4200+
      • Memory:
      • 1GB DDR Dual Channel
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nividia Go 6100
      • PSU:
      • ColorsIT 400w
      • Case:
      • ColorsIT Cool Case
      • Monitor(s):
      • Compaq 15" TFT
      • Internet:
      • 1mb Broadband
    Well I never drove the carlton more than maybe say 10 times, but the steering was so light you could flick it round with a single finger, got a bit hair raising at speed, and whenever I got back in the A3 it felt like a Supertanker, but for a car it's size it was a doddle in tight gap.

Ford Focus - I’m a boy-racer disguised as a sensible office worker at the weekends I'm a curry monster!!

Thanks
    • schmunk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit NF7-S v2.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Athlon-M 2500+
      • Memory:
      • 1GB of Corsair BH-5 and 512MB of something else
      • Storage:
      • 160GB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon X800Pro, flashed to XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-M ~400W
      • Case:
      • Antec cheapy
      • Monitor(s):
      • AG Neovo F19 LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 4MB/s
    The Carlton will be relatively easier to park, as RWD cars have smaller turning circles.

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    yeah - the one thing i miss about my old volvo is the turning circle - bloomin amazing. estates are also (imo) a bit easier to park because you can judge the gap out the back window a bit more easily..
    hughlunnon@yahoo.com | I have sigs turned off..

Thanks
    • hitman67's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AsRock Something
      • CPU:
      • AMD 64 x2 4200+
      • Memory:
      • 1GB DDR Dual Channel
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nividia Go 6100
      • PSU:
      • ColorsIT 400w
      • Case:
      • ColorsIT Cool Case
      • Monitor(s):
      • Compaq 15" TFT
      • Internet:
      • 1mb Broadband
    Carlton wasn't an Estate - It was a saloon with a boot about the same length as a Mini Metro.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowe

The 1.4 focus may be approaching that. If you've been confined to 1L of micra for any amount of time, the Zetec-SE 1.6 in a focus will feel rather rapid.

Fox
    Thanks
    No, not really. It's something you get used to in a matter of hours. It's silly to base your car purchase on this. A Focus is a small car - it certainly cannot be described as big.

When I first drove the Jeep Grand Cherokee we hired in the States last year, it felt massive and unwieldy and I was really out of my depth. 2 hours later, I was driving around in it without a care in the world.

Same story with the 2006 BMW 530d Sport Auto - this car felt huge. 10 minutes later I'm overtaking stuff and driving it around as if its my own.

I'd certainly not want to be stuck in a pokey Fiesta simply becuase a Focus initially felt unwieldy. I came into this thread to suggest a Mondeo as a better alternative to a Focus given its cheaper, has more kit, a nicer interior, is as reliable, etc etc but feel that probably isn't appropriate right now

After 2.5 years of driving my Mondeo I'd say it was more a medium sized car really - can fit it into most spaces with ease, nips around town quite nicely, etc etc. You just get used to it - and on-street parking all the time at uni really brushes up your parking skills! I've waited while people with Fiestas give up trying to get intp a space I can then get the Mondeo into in one manevouer

BMW 530i Sport | Ford Mondeo Ghia X RSAP

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information