Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Project: Kitchen Utensil+ (Mk II in progress 22/09/10)

Thanks

Re: Project: Kitchen Utensil+

uhuh so you did, i didnt even pay attention pm me how every much you want for it or somewthing 40gb will do me

have you not got access to a pc that can upload any new pics?
    Last edited by razer121; 27-02-2010 at 10:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKTAK View Post
    It was so small that mine wouldn't fit into it

Thanks

There are no new pics! Can't do anything until I get a machine that works ok to install in the box & attach the frame to

Thanks

Well apparently Simon doesn't have a bashed-up but working laptop I can have on the cheap & seemed to misunderstand my further question so I'll scrap that idea.

Now looking for a laptop to complete this mod - http://forums.hexus.net/wanted/18202...m-working.html

Anyone with one that would be suitable or do you think Alienware would sponsor me?...

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_B View Post
    Well apparently Simon doesn't have a bashed-up but working laptop I can have on the cheap & seemed to misunderstand my further question so I'll scrap that idea.

Now looking for a laptop to complete this mod - http://forums.hexus.net/wanted/18202...m-working.html

Anyone with one that would be suitable or do you think Alienware would sponsor me?...
    I dont think the screens will be the same size but i have a feeling a LOT of people are getting new laptops at work, will be a couple of weeks probably but i will make sure to enquire on whats happening to the scrappers.

I think they are all 1.6 centrino single core machines though so that would do quite well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    I dont think the screens will be the same size but i have a feeling a LOT of people are getting new laptops at work, will be a couple of weeks probably but i will make sure to enquire on whats happening to the scrappers.

I think they are all 1.6 centrino single core machines though so that would do quite well.
    That sounds great thanks, I think I'm getting one from Trig for this project but I would be very interested in others (if they're cheap enough!) to play with some other ideas I have

Thanks

Right, update on the laptop situation.

I'm getting one from Trig which should be powerful enough, 12" screen so I'll need a new frame & need to trim the acrylic down but should be ok.

Updates when I get that/it works/I take it apart!

Thanks

Well, laptop received from [GSV]Trig nice & quickly so I'm back on track.

It's an Asus W5000..

Only not in the condition of the pic! Few panels missing, no battery so it's perfect mod material!

Spent all of tonight formatting/installing to get it up to scratch & I'll be looking at the modding side of things later in the week. It's a shame as this is a nice little laptop but I'm sorry, it must be sacrificed!

The previous box I built & frame are now too big (as this laptop is only 12") so I'll need to cut them down to size a bit, currently the room I was using as my workshop is getting knocked through to our balcony to make a new bedroom for our flat so I won't be doing much until that's finished

Possibly thinking of buying something off-the-shelf to house the laptop as it's easier to find things this laptop will fit in but it depends on what free time I have.

For the record...iPlayer works perfectly well!

Thanks

Well still no real updates yet, I've stripped down the screen (damn there are a lot of components compared to the last one!) & am looking at the frame. I found www.eframe.co.uk which has a custom frame maker with (what I think are) reasonable prices considering they custom make them to your spec. I'm looking at £23 delivered for a custom frame, acrylic & backing board (just to keep things tidy)

I've specced up a black aluminium frame, they've offered to send me a sample of the moulding to measure up & see if it fits, I have a good feeling about this, they even include a pre-cut acrylic sheet to cover your 'art' and measuring up I think the frame will hold the LCD with little/no extra securing needed.

I'm trying to think of a way to keep the webcam but will have to see what options the frame gives me (plus I'll never really use a webcam anyway) so that's not a priority.

Also bought some hinges yesterday but was considering something a bit fancier, does anyone know of anything like those automatic closers on doors that would be small enough to fit under the box?

Thanks

Well, got my sample of frame & it looks great, well made, nice colouring & would be a good fit...then I though "I'll just check one more time the laptop is ok"

Guess what?

The thing is totally dead....

No life, no lights, nothing....

It worked fine before & after dissasembly but now it doesn't, I've not idea whats going on but its nearly 11PM on a Friday so I'm not going to spend all night working it out

Update when I figure out whats gone wrong

Thanks

Well, another update with no pic (some to follow soon I promise!)

Laptop now up & running again, have no idea what the fault was but reseating the CPU HSF worked for some strange reason.
    Frame has been ordered & fingers crossed looks as good as I hope. Full aluminium frame with acrylic to protect it & MDF to provide support on the back, cost around £24 which is a big chunk of my (non existent) budget but I think it is miles above anything I could create myself.

Thanks

Still waiting for my frame, in the meantime I noticed Refurb HP TC4200 Tablet laptop @ Studentcomputers - this looks ripe for a mod if anyone is interested, personally I'd love it but can't afford £230 on a whim

Thanks

Quite stricken with ups and downs on this project. hope to see that frame soon!

Thanks

As promised...(with an example of it's major usage on-screen )

The frame is great, very well made. I've had to use a USB adapter to be able to move the receiver for the wireless mouse but that means the laptop needs to sit back in the box a bit, this means it's a bit of a stretch (cable to the monitor) and the power button is a bit tricky to get to but it works!

I've scrapped the hinges for now as I just wanted it up & running, will cover the box in black when I get time. I also need to re-arrange the kitchen to move the crap from behind it & most importantly get the kettle out of the way!

Tried using the onscreen keyboard but it appears the windows installation is a bit borked & it can't find osk.exe so either a reinstall or a copy of the XP version of this exe is needed #

Thats it for now, my folks are up for the easter weekend so I won't get any time to play with the laptop (or my new O2 Joggler!) gutted!

Big, Mean and Ugly! circuitmonkey's Avatar
    Thanks
    • circuitmonkey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8H61-M PRO
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i3 2100T
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz XMS3
      • Storage:
      • 320GB WD Caviar Balck + 1TB Samsung EcoGreen F2 + 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair CX430M
      • Case:
      • NZXT M59
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro (64bit), Vista business (64 bit), XP Pro (32bit), Ubuntu (64 bit)
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" FHD + 2X 19"1280 x 1024
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre broadband

Very nice mate, I'm glad to see you got it working. I've been eyeing up an old e-machine with a busted power jack in the corner of my dads office, maybe this would make a nice kitchen or garage pc

Thanks

ha! nice mate nice, pretty snazzy idea really isnt it?
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKTAK View Post
    It was so small that mine wouldn't fit into it

Thanks

Bit more messing today.

A nice messy workplace, I wouldn't have it any other way!

The frame edge open as I was securing the back. I must say I'm really impressed with the frame, cost quite a bit but well worth it now it's all in place I didn't use the acrylic it came with, just used the backing & spring clips to hold it in place.

Taping up all the little wires that got in my way every time I moved it around, saved my santity!

The speakers have been taped to the body which will end up pointing outwards, already tried the sound with them just shoved in the box & more than happy with the quality I get from them.

I now need to buy another hinge to get it to swivel, I did have 2 but used one to fix my couch last night so gutted I've got to stop work just to buy a 29p bit of metal!

Once done the box will be covered in black vinyly-stuff (B&Q - blackboard stuff on a roll)

Then I need to re-install Windows & put it back together again!
    Last edited by Rob_B; 03-04-2010 at 11:41 AM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread Information