Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: Project Silicon.... Being Remade

Thanks
    Not much of late I have a new lcd on its way hopefully then I will get to finish it

Thanks
    A long overdue update on this project:

I'm still waiting on the lcd but I got tempted by something on ebay

Yup another o2 case hehe, this one is in better condition than my first one. I'm going to use it for an identical project when this one is finished. I will use the lessons I've learnt from this one.

More pics of the new case:

Its slightly different in design

Thanks
    i love that case! nice one
    [number5] [at] [orange] [dot] [net]

Registered+
    Thanks
    pro case gordy, nice job m8.
    |Barton XP2500@2.3ghz|768 samsung pc2700 ddr|GeForce4 Ti4200|160Gb wd hd|Jet-7 Cpu Cooler|Abit NF7 Mobo|

Thanks
    Some of you have been following my work of late will have realised I've been working on Project Liquid Bloo mainly of late.
    I have got to the stage of the project where I have moved the cpu ram etc over from my old SGI mod project Silicon. This forced me to take apart Project Silicon and give me some fresh ideas on the project. I decided I didnt like the orginal inner case and that I could do things much better.

So I decided to make a new inner chassis. I intend to use aluminium sheet with L shape aluminium on the edges fixed together with rivets. I had a shock this afternoon after coming back from the store with the parts to see Mashie had decided to use the same materials on his SGI case remake as well. So a big sorry to mashie for tpicking the same materials, I know he will create something very different to mine in the end.

Anyway I've made lots of progress today. I've cut two of the panels and rivetted them together, I've also fitted the motherboard. Its taken me far less time to get this far than it did the first time and it looks much better imho

Here are the pictures I've taken today: (Pictures are thumbnails with links click on them for full sized shots.)

The parts:

The two sheets cut and in their approximate location:

Cutting the L shaped sections of ally:

The bottom section with its L sections:

All the parts I cut today:

The mobo on its risers:

Rivetting the first panel:

The final two shots are of the inner chassis so far.

This should be a fairl swift redo as I want to get it out of the way and back onto project liquid bloo.

let me know what you think so far
    Last edited by Gordy; 06-05-2004 at 11:15 PM.

Thanks
    PS can a mod please edit the title of the thread to say

Project Silicon: Being Remade

Thanks

Thanks
    I've pretty much finished the inner chassis now, with the supporting strut now rivetted into place.

Thanks
    A quick second update : This time its the switch mounting being made and put into place.

Thanks
    Another update this time its for my lcd holder thang. Its not finished but I've rivetted it into position .

Thanks
    I took a quick couple of shots of the lcd itself so you can see the size of it.

The lcd is a Matrix orbital LK204-24-USB GW, henry at MO kindly sent it over for a CustomPC Mag article I did the other month, its a great little lcd with fan control and all kinds of neat functions.

Thanks
    Another update from today, i decide to remove as much excess metal from the cd drive cage as it wasnt really necessary.

I removed above 50% of the cage and the front section which would have fouled the mobo.

Thanks
    Another update on this project. I've managed to pretty much finish the inner chassis over the last few days.

What I did first was to mount the psu first, I used a L Shaped aluminium section, the psu will be mounted on the floor of the chassis.

With the psu mounted in place I could finish cutting out the back panel . I cut slots out of it for both the plug and the fan to allow easy access.

Next up I had to rivet the back panel into place to complete the chassis structure

The final act was to brush the entire chassis and clear coat it to protect the brushing. The pictures dont do it justice , I will take some more of it later in the project to show the brushing better.

And finally the fans I'm planning on using they are blue quiet led fans I'm hoping they will be nice and bright at 7volts.

Thanks
    I've had a busy day modding. I'm getting near the light at the end of the tunnel which is good news seeing as it needs to be ready for thursday

First thing to do was to sort out the psu, I rewired it into a modula system. I didnt have enough time to rewire everything with my favourite silver cabling that will have to wait for another day.

(As always the pictures are clickable thumbnails)

After that some more brushing, as this isnt going to be my main rig I am just using a cheap dvd drive I had lying around. It didnt look very nice so I decided to brush it with the same method as I used on the rest of the chassis.

I then also brushed the sole remaining section of the old silicon graphics steel chassis the bit that attaches the cover to the chassis.

I then installed the fans and grills onto both the chassis and the huge swiftech heatsink I'm using

Thanks
    Well its not good news on this project. I was trying to get it ready for a film shoot on thursday. In my hurry to get things ready I didnt check a cable that I made up. Unfortunatly it wasnt right and it made my hard disc and dvd drive smoke and then die It wasnt a good couple of days at all!

The film shoot was fun , big hellos to mashie and macroman who joined my on the day. It was a long but fruitful day.

No pics of my mods but heres us on the day

Here's mashies work the pics dont do them justice:

Macroman didnt bring any of his projects unfortunatly but here's his rig he was demoing for the program

Macros nice collection of weapons hehe

And some final mug shots
    macro and myself

Myself , Macro , Aleks (the nice presenter) and Mashie

I totally failed to take any pictures of the car pc I took along what a tool I am

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread Information