Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I killed it, it's deaded!

Thanks

Re: I killed it, it's deaded!

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
    Don't buy one then.

The failure rate of a 360 is a total cock-up, as I've said many times myself, but really, the 360 is still BY FAR the best choice of the consoles at the moment. Do the maths, read the reviews, play the games, and this much becomes obvious. (IMHO btw, I don't want the PS3 peeps, with their tracksuits and baseball caps on, getting uppity PS3 is good as well)
    I didn't, thats my point! I was just saying that in my opinion, paying for something that you know will fail is nonsensical.

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    Well, because its the best there is?

It's the best gaming console at the moment and its also the best value for money media centre.

Guarantees have all been extended to 3 years also due to the RROD issue.

Microsoft have also just released the "Jasper" model which supposedly fixes the issue, hopefully they will start sending them out as warranty replacements.
    In my opinion, its none of those, so we'll have to agree to disagree

I'd love one for the bedroom to act as a media centre in conjunction with the HTPC in the lounge, but the noise rules it out for me. If they sort it out, I'd buy one for sure. The fact its missing BluRay and has an immense power brick are other reasons it doesn't quote work as a small media centre for me.

Guarantees have been extended which is great, but the hassle of returning it, coupled with handing over money for something thats badly designed (from a hardware perspective) doesn't sit nicely with me.

From what I've read the Jasper models have also been faulty, but I suppose time will tell whether or not they are indeed an improvement.

I'm going to bow out of further discussion to prevent the thread being wrecked!
    Last edited by s_kinton; 09-12-2008 at 04:09 PM.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by s_kinton View Post
    I didn't, thats my point! I was just saying that in my opinion, paying for something that you know will fail is nonsensical.
    I have had 3, 2 never failed. So, how can you say "know will fail"? You do not know they will fail. There is a chance, like any electronic device, almost certainly higher then most. But to say they will fail, is nonsense.

In my opinion, its none of those, so we'll have to agree to disagree
    Fair enough, although how you can say it isn't the best console available I find hard to comprehend. What other console out there has the choice of software available and the online features that the 360 has? What console has better gfx and better sound?

Because by all definitions of best console, I fail to see anything else remotely close......

Your HTPC argument is valid though, noise levels are a consideration for a HTPC, I personally never hear mine but I know some people can be hyper-sensitive to background noise.....although it makes me wonder just what would be quiet enough if an XBox360 without the DVD drive spinning isn't quiet enough.....I guess a completely passive solution, something you rarely see these days.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by s_kinton View Post
    So you never buy anything, seeing as all electronics can fail...

Also you don't know that it will fail - most don't. The failure rate for the 360 is higher than it is for the PS3 and Wii, as well as being higher than it should be. This is fact, and something you need to be aware of before you buy one.

You don't know that it will fail though, nor do you know that your PS3 wont fail.

'Don't buy it because you know it will fail' is a simplistic view.

EDIT - Get one of the new Jasper models, and follow a few simple steps (don't plug it into a double or multiplug, don't put the 360 on carpet, don't play it in a oven, etc) and you should have a relatively trouble free console gaming experience.
    Last edited by Stewart; 09-12-2008 at 04:34 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    I have had 3, 2 never failed. So, how can you say "know will fail"? You do not know they will fail. There is a chance, like any electronic device, almost certainly higher then most. But to say they will fail, is nonsense.

Fair enough, although how you can say it isn't the best console available I find hard to comprehend. What other console out there has the choice of software available and the online features that the 360 has? What console has better gfx and better sound?

Because by all definitions of best console, I fail to see anything else remotely close......
    I meant that the failure rate from what I've read seems much higher than average, so I ruled it out.

I agree the 360 is the best platform in terms of game catalogue and online experience. However, to me, it cannot be the 'best' (if there is such a thing, given peoples varying expectations) because I wouldn't trust it to last the distance without me peeing around getting it swapped out, thats all.

So you never buy anything, seeing as all electronics can fail...
    I didn't go for the 360 simply because of the high failure rate. I'm well aware things can fail, but the chances of the 360 failing just seemed too much given the price of the console at that time. I don't have the time or the inclination to sort out an exchange etc.

Thanks

I reckon both sides of the argument are valid on this one. The Xbox 360 is just downright awesome, and at the same time it's downright rubbish, too.

You can tell that Microsoft's primarily a software company. The 360's user experience, in my opinion, is head and shoulders above the competition. Unfortunately, it's plagued by sub-standard hardware that I would say simply isn't good enough. There is a chance your Xbox 360 won't fail at all, but personally I don't like the paranoia that strikes you each time you turn it on - will it show green or red, dum dum dum.

It's noisey (admittedly less in newer models, my October-manufactured replacement is very quiet), prone to failure and I swear something rattles around inside when you pick one up. In comparison, the PS3 (ugly as it is) and Wii are seemingly very well made. They're quiet and in use you don't get the feeling it's about to die.

Despite all that, though, I still love the 360 - and that alone is testament to just how good the user experience really is. I had a Wii ages ago, and although fun at times, I tired of it quickly and ending up selling it. I'd like to get one again at some point to play Mario Kart, but I know that if I had one, it'd sit idling next to the 360.

The PS3 currently sits next to the 360 as just a Blu-ray player. I've tried to enjoy it as a games console/media extender, but it's a futile experience. I dislike the joypad - it doesn't agree with my big hands - and the user interface is gobbledegoop. Every time I try to do something, it's like a maze. Tried to setup folding@home on it, and unless you know how to do it, you'll need a user manual or a google search. It's about as far from intuitive as it gets.

Wrapping it up, I'd have to agree with Stewart, despite the dodgy hardware, the 360 is still BY FAR the best choice of the consoles at the moment.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Parm View Post
    Wrapping it up, I'd have to agree with Stewart, despite the dodgy hardware, the 360 is still BY FAR the best choice of the consoles at the moment.
    And the reason it's the best, quickly, is that Nintendo, who always have and always will make the best games, decided to still make a few killers (Mario Galaxy, Zelda, etc) but spend the rest of their time making games for middle class familes to play with each other. Casual gaming.

And Sony are still playing catch-up, to some extent, because the PS3 launched late, over priced, lacking in software, with bits of hardware missing, and no real answer to Xbox Live.

So if you step back and take in all the facts - casual gamers in the know will get a Wii, 'hardcore' gamers in the know will get a 360. People who buy 8 360s only to see them all break will get a PS3.

And that, in my most humble of opinions, is the way of things at the moment.

If Microsoft could build a console that doesn't fall apart, and Nintendo hadn't decided to go casual, there would be no reason for the PS3 to even exist... lucky for Sony, the big N did chase the casual gamer market, and Microsoft can't build a console, so there it is.

I suppose MOAR choice is a good thing.
    Last edited by Stewart; 09-12-2008 at 05:33 PM.

Thanks

I have a PS3, a DS Lite and a PC, yet, whilst the 360 was away, I just didn't enjoy/fancy playing anything else. Glad it's back now.
    I'd be willing to take one of you if they're too much trouble

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

If Microsoft could build a console that doesn't fall apart, and Nintendo hadn't decided to go casual, there would be no reason for the PS3 to even exist... lucky for Sony, the big N did chase the casual gamer market, and Microsoft can't build a console, so there it is.
    Sony still had a niche....the early, cheap, bluray player.

I've had a PS3 since release and still have the 1 game I bought with it....Ridge Racer. The console has paid for itself thanks to the amount of time it's spent playing blurays......I am sure that's something Sony aren't particularly happy with though.

Great shame as well as i was always a Sony man at heart as far as consoles went.........I will still buy Gran Turismo (if it ever releases!), still undecided which format to buy Resident Evil on though.....

The lack of Sony exclusives now is a testament to how bad the PS3 has been and how good the 360 has done.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Banned
    Thanks

Aye, Bluray is a plus. Not *exactly* gaming though, and I was talking from that point of view.

Still a niche is a niche.

Thanks
    • danroyle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • N/A
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core I7 4720HQ
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 128GB SSD +1tb HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce Gtx960m
      • PSU:
      • N/A
      • Case:
      • N/A
      • Operating System:
      • WINDOWS 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15.6" IPS
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre

you do realise stewart is gonna be smug for ages now you've said he is right.

i hope you feel suitably ashamed of yourself.

Banned
    Thanks

Yes but you fail to take into account that I knew I was right before Parm said anything, and so was already smug.

Thanks
    • danroyle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • N/A
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core I7 4720HQ
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 128GB SSD +1tb HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce Gtx960m
      • PSU:
      • N/A
      • Case:
      • N/A
      • Operating System:
      • WINDOWS 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15.6" IPS
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre

Yes but you fail to take into account that I knew I was right before Parm said anything, and so was already smug.

i know but now you'll be even worse

Banned
    Thanks

Supersmug?

Thanks
    • JimmyBoy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VI ROG Hero
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770k @ 4.4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250gb Samsung 840 SSD / 3tb Seagate / 1tb Western Digital
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HiS ATi Radeon HD 7950
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster GX 650w
      • Case:
      • Bit Fenix Shinobi XL
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" LG IPS277L-BN 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 120mb down 10mb up

so theres problems with the jaspers now are there? or are people misinformed

asw much as ive been wound up with my 360, the fact that it red ringed and now my xbla games pretty much all think they are trials despite redownloading etc, i havent once thought about the alternative that is the ps3 and that, to me shows just how much fun the 360 really is

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by danroyle View Post
    i know but now you'll be even worse
    He going to end up sigging quotes of people agreeing with him

Registered+
    Thanks

My 360 was collected by UPS on the 1st December and I got a email to say it has been sent back, the UPS tracker say it will be delivered tomorrow, unfortunately there won't be anyone there to receive it.

People told me it would take 3 weeks so 9 days is pretty good, I'm just hoping they've repaired my original rather than send a replacement because my copy of Fable II won't play on the new one.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information