Thread: Second set of memory modules failed (DOMINATOR 1333)

Registered+
    Thanks

Second set of memory modules failed (DOMINATOR 1333)

System Configuration

Motherboard
    Asus M4A88TD-M EVO/USB3 AMD 880G AM3 Motherboard
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Asus-...SB-30-uATX-VGA

Motherboard support site
    http://support.asus.com/download/dow...Language=en-us

Using BIOS revision 1404 (This is how the board was supplied)

CPU
    AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition 3.2GHz Socket AM3 6MB Cache Retail Box Processor
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/198349

Memroy
    1st set of memory modules
    Corsair Memory XMS3 2GB DDR3 PC3-10666 (1333) Dual Channel Desktop
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/2GB-(...9-9-24-DHX-15V

TWIN3X2048-1333C9DHX G - 2GB (2x1GB) Corsair XMS3, DDR3 PC3-10666 (1333) Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 9-9-9-24, DHX, 1.5V
    Manufacturer code: TWIN3X2048-1333C9DHX G

2nd set of memory modules
    Corsair Memory XMS3 4GB DDR3 PC3-10666 (1333) Dual Channel Desktop DHX.
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/4GB-(...9-9-24-DHX-16V

TW3X4G1333C9DHX - 4GB (2x2GB) Corsair XMS3, DDR3 PC3-10666 (1333) Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 9-9-9-24, DHX, 1.5V
    Manufacturer code: TW3X4G1333C9DHX

Text on memory module sticker
    TW3X4G1333C9D
    4GB(2X2GB) 2048MB 1333MHz 9-9-9-24 1.50V ver3.1 10343195

Also note : The memory module says 'DOMINATOR', but the picture/description on scan does not mention in being DOMINATOR memory.

Motherboard Memory QVL

Graphics Card
    MSI NVIDIA GTX 460 Graphics Card
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/1GB-M...2x-DVI-I-mHDMI

PSU
    Be Quiet Special Edition White 600W E7 Modular PSU
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/206053

Built a new machine using the above parts (1st set of memory modules) and proceeded to install Windows 7 (Evaluation), after several unsucsessful attempts (either machine hanging, or rebooting), I decided to check the memory using both Microsoft Memory Tester, and Memtest+ v4.81. After rotating the memory, and trying each module individually in the DIMM slots I discovered one of the modules was failing - Test #5 on memtest would just hang the machine at 14%. I then retried installing Windows 7 with only the one good module inserted, and Windows 7 successfully installed.

So after contacting my supplier (scan.co.uk) I got an RMA and returned it. To cut a long story short, I got a slightly different replacement memory (2nd set of memory modules) ;

Corsair Memory XMS3 4GB DDR3 PC3-10666 (1333) Dual Channel Desktop DHX.
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/4GB-(...9-9-24-DHX-16V

When I receive the memory, I install it (DIMM_A1 + DIMM_B1) and run Memtest86+ on it for 2 hours, with no errors so I proceed to continue evaluating Windows 7 with my new memory.

I shall describe exactly what I done now as it may give some clues to someone. Just for reference - this memory has had about 12 hours use in total.

I have installed several games to try out, last night I was playing Battlefield Bad Company 2, I had been playing it for about 30 mins when it just suddenly blue screened (dont remember the message). Then I restarted windows, and after about 5 mins use I changed the DPI (to 200%) (This PC is to be used as a HTPC, and on the TV the writing is quite small so I just tried increasing the DPI). When I changed the DPI, it says you need to log off/on for the changes to take effect, so I done this, and when logging on, it just said "Explorer failed to start" or words to that effect. After several tries (CTRL+ALT+DEL to log off again, and retry logging on) it would always be the same, so I CTRL+ALT+DEL and select restart.

Windows 7 then got as far as "Staring WIndows" and then restarted, then give the options "Start Normally" / "Recover", so I tried "Start Normal" several times only for it to repeatedly reboot, then it didnt give me the option of starting normally and just started trying to repair - this resulted first in a BSOD, then when it retried it just rebooted, then when it retried again it just hung.

So, now starting to get a little concerned I decide I will check my memory again but am pretty sure it will be ok, as I tested it for 2 hours when I first got it with no problems.

So I run memtest again and it gets to test #7 (Random number sequence) and it starts spitting out a load of errors - it gets to about 1.5 million errors so I decide to reset the machine (by reset button). Now, the display does not show anything (Does not POST etc... display is completely blank) and on my motherboard I have a DRAM_LED which lights if the memory is faulty / not compatible - this light is now permanently on ?!

So I go through the procedure of swapping modules, trying them individually etc... and to cut a long story short, one of them appears to work fine - runs memtest fine (3 hours with 0 errors) and loads windows etc... the other memory module will not even let the machine post, and just has the DRAM_LED permanently lit.

This concerns me somewhat for a couple of reasons ;

1) The memory was fine when I got it
    2) This is the second set of memory modules to fail on me

FYI - All these components have just been plugged in - no tinkering / overclocking etc... and the BIOS is exactly as I got it - no settings changed etc...

Before purchasing these memory modules (both sets) I did actually check the QVL for compatabillity. The numbers are very similar, but on closer examination I realise they are not identical - I can only put this down to my own stupidity / lack of experience.

This post ultimately leads me to these questions

1) Do I need to do some tweaks to the BIOS ?

2) Have I just been unlucky or is there something that I may be missing that is possibly making my memory modules faulty?

3) Are both sets of memory I purchased not compatible with my motherboard

4) Is there a memory that can be recommended that will work (I would like 4GB DOMINATOR memory at 1333+ ideally in the same price range, £60-£70)

Thanks for any help.

Thanks

Re: Second set of memory modules failed (DOMINATOR 1333)

When running Memtest on ASUS boards, you need to temporarily disable Legacy USB Support to get accurate results. Be sure that you also have the most recent BIOS loaded.

Please check your modules again with this setting disbled. Also, be sure to clear the CMOS, and load optimized defaults before running Memtest, then disable the Legacy USB Support.

Registered+
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

I have done as you suggested

1) Updated BIOS (1602)
    2) Cleared CMOS
    3) Loaded BIOS Default settings
    4) Disabled Legacy USB support

Unfortunately, whenever I place the suspected faulty module into any dimm socket (on it's own or in a dual-channel configuration) the motherboard's DRAM_LED immediately comes on indicating faulty memory. This means that my PC does nothing, no POST, no nothing, so I dont have the oppertunity to run Memtest

An exert from the manual :

I have tried pressing the MemOK! button but it just appears to do one flash routine (on for about 500ms, off for about 500 ms repeatedly), and ive left it for about 10 minutes but nothing appeared to happen.

Any additional advice would be greatly welcome as I am slightly worried about this being the second set of modules that I have had fail.

Thanks.
    Last edited by JimmyBoy1; 11-10-2010 at 11:50 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Should I be RMA'ing this memory, or does anyone have any suggestions for me ?

Thanks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyBoy1 View Post

Unfortunately, whenever I place the suspected faulty module into any dimm socket (on it's own or in a dual-channel configuration) the motherboard's DRAM_LED immediately comes on indicating faulty memory. This means that my PC does nothing, no POST, no nothing, so I dont have the oppertunity to run Memtest
    Please file an RMA and also, in the narrative, please note that this is your second RMA.

RMA LINK

Registered+
    Thanks

Thanks for that.

I may not of made this clear, but my first RMA was with scan, and not corsair. When I mentioned about raising a new RMA I did mean with scan again, not corsair, however I have filled in the details.

There are two things that slightly concern me

1) Returning the memory to corsair (I presume in USA, or at least, overseas to me) is a) going to cost me a little in delivery charges, b) going to be a long turnaround

2) I am also worried that if I was instead to RMA it with scan they may not be happy that this would be the 2nd RMA for the same item.

Would you be able to answer my question about No. 1, re: return address and rough turnaround time ?

Thanks.

Thanks

Since it is your 2nd RMA we will pay shipping. Be sure to include your SCAN RMA number in the narrative. Turnaround time depends on many factors including shipping time, distance, how long you wait to initiate the RMA, etc. I can't really give a time estimate on it.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowbeard View Post
    Since it is your 2nd RMA we will pay shipping.
    How does that work? do you refund me the costs somehow ??

Thanks for all your help.

Thanks

Please file the RMA using the link that I provided. The RMA service will tell you what you need to know. Also, if you have any questions relating to the RMA, you can ask them in the narrative section.

Thread Information