Thread: Top 5 All Time Games?

Thanks
    Originally posted by paradidle
    1)Red Alert 2 + C&C series
    2)Doom I II III
    3)Goldeneye N64
    4)Gran Turismo I II III
    5)Delta Force Series
    you have like 10 games there.. red alert + c&c are average imho.

doom1 for its time was fantastic. how can you say doom3 when it dont exist yet.

delta force is crap?

Thanks
    Officially, Doom3 doesnt Exist, but unofficially,

And Just Red Alert 2 then

And how can u say Delta force is crap!? Oh Im sorry, its too realistic for you Ureal n Quake newb

No discussion of warez at all please read the sticky on the top of the gaming board - Ferral
    Signatures are stupid

Thanks
    newb? ye ok mate. i wont be emailing you as a dodgy alpha release of doom 3 is pointless to me.

Thanks
    Well whatever tickles ur fancy! and yes, noob.
    Signatures are stupid

Thanks
    I'd say;

Herzog Zwei on the Megadrive
    Populous on the Master System
    Halo on X-box, maybe Goldeneye on N64, not only for the single player, but the hundreds of hours of multiplayer fun that was/is had.
    Manic Miner, because Jet Set Willy was bugged! Or maybe that was just, my copy? Venturing into 'the attic' would cause a crash. Maybe that was just a lack of 'pokes'?
    And a tossup between Civ 1/2, Frontier and the Star Control games.
    [XP2500-M @ 200x11] [2X512MB Crucial PC2700] [MSI K7N2 Delta ISLR] [160GB 8MB Samsung SP1614N] [160GB 8MB Maxtor DiamondMax9] [Megaworks 250Ds] [GeforceFX 5900] [Viewsonic VP171s]

Banned
    Thanks
    Ah, Turican. Loads of old games I'd need a top 10 to include
    Classic game huh!

.... that music is still awesome!!! I have it on mp3.. WOO

Thanks
    Um, I don't know how many are going to be in my list till I've written it! I'll probably forget a few too, and I can't really put them in order apart from the first, but:

1. Sonic- Sega Megadrive. Just the most playable and brilliantly designed game of its day, and possibly ever. I just can't enjoy Mario having played Sonic. The way he gets momentum going just feels brilliant to me. It reaches its pinnacle in the Starlight Zone, which I must have played through hundreds if not thousands of times. Sonic 2 and onwards are just nothing like as good IMO, all that spinning on the spot and rubbish level design.

JSR- DC. Brilliant level design, immensely playable, wicked music and graphics, and even a half decent story. I was tempted to get an X-Box purely for JSR Future. Anyone know if it's any good? Or have they done a Sonic 2 and just made it a load of long grinds and confusing levels?

Samba Di Amigo- DC. With the Maracas Controller of course. Arrriba!

Shenmue - DC. I'm not into RPGs but this absolutely blew me away. The fighting is a bit crap but everything else about it, the graphics, the story, the immersive gameplay is just unbelievable. I still haven't played Shenmue 2 because I want to do it properly and set a good three or four days aside, and I've never had the time.

Vampire Saviour- Saturn. The most beautifully designed 2D game ever IMO (although I suppose Guilty Gear X looks quite nice). Great characters, decent control system, incomprehensible storyline, what more could you want? Marvel vs Capcom (DC) nearly got the nod here for its sheer lunacy, but it hasn't got the depth. I don't like MvC2 or Capcom vs SNK much, the first just doesn't have the feel, the second is too damn complicated for me.

Doom - PC. The first game (and one of very few since) to really scare me. Everything about it was wicked.

Dune - PC. The original adventure game, not Dune 2. I just found it extremely immersive, don't know why. Beautiful graphics for its time too.

Dune 2 (PC) - The simplest and still the best RTS game.

Desert Stike - Megadrive. Just great fun to play. Jungle and Urban Strike aren't as good but are still great fun.

Bust-a-Move2 - Saturn (or loads of other platforms). I bought this game on Ebay from a guy in America. It arrived, I put it in the Saturn at 8pm, next thing I knew it was 4am and I hadn't moved an inch for 8 hours.

Streets of Rage - Megadrive. I know Final Fight did it first, but Streets of Rage did it better. Great music, great graphics, great gameplay. As with a lot of Sega games, the sequels aren't as good, although Streets of Rage 2 is still great and has some wicked music too.

A couple of arcade games, then that'll do for the time being:

Outrun (Sega) - Brilliant. I still think that driving through the third level with all the flowers and windmills, with Magical Sound Shower playing, is one of the great gaming experiences. Thank god for the Saturn and Sega Ages.

World Rally Championship (Galeco) - I know this is an obscure one, but there was a machine in the arcade near our holiday home in Devon where you could play for 10p a time. I used to stuff in about a fiver a day, and I still never quite managed to complete it. I'm still looking out for the JAMMA board.

I make that 13 then.

Edit: damn, I forgot Laser Squad, UFO and X-Com: Enemy from the deep. How many hours have I spent on those?

Rich :¬)
    Last edited by Rave; 23-12-2003 at 01:11 AM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Massive Sega bias in that list Rich.

Any paticular reason?

Thanks
    Oh, speaking of sega, I dont think its in my top 5 but, virtua tennis. Such a good game

One of the few games I have actually completed in the arcade

Thanks
    Originally posted by Vaul
    Massive Sega bias in that list Rich.

Any paticular reason?
    Yes. They make the best games.

Alright that's a bit glib, so I'll discuss. On my list I count 6 games actually produced by Sega. 3 are on Sega consoles but programmed by somebody else, and all three AFAIK were also available on other platforms. 4 are not Sega at all.

I am a huge Sega fan though, and here's why: I don't believe that any other company has ever come close to producing as many innovative, creative and inspirational games while still maintaining such a high level of quality. There are so many genres where Sega were at the forefront.

In the arcades, Space Harrier, Afterburner, Outrun etc. were some of the best games of the 80s. In 1991(ish) Sega took the 3d racing game a quantum leap forward with Virtua Racing and then followed it up with Daytona (which still packs 'em in 10 years after it came out) and the incomparable Sega Rally. Virtua Fighter pretty much invented the 3D fighting game. Ditto Virtua Cop for the 3D gun game. Then you've got the games like Crazy Taxi, Samba, Virtua Tennis which aren't exactly innovative, just brilliant.

As for consoles:

Master System: Not a classic, but better than the NES.

Mega Drive: Now that was more like it. So many classic games both from Sega and others. Sonic is still my all time favourite game, there were umpteen good Sega arcade conversions, the controller was much better than the SNES as was the arcade stick. Oh Yeah- it had Toejam and Earl too.

Saturn: Well, they dropped the ball here. They realised too late that the 3D games they themselves had helped to popularise were going to be the way of the future, and that the Saturn was underpowered for 3D, so they added a second processor, which didn't really do anything except make the console harder to program for and more expensive. Still, it spanks the Playstation in 2D, and there are still great 3D games like Burning Rangers and Sega Rally which is a pretty cracking conversion IMO. I can't honestly say that it's a better console overall then the PSX, just that there are a lot more games for it that I like.

Dreamcast: Best console ever IMO. They did the opposite of the Saturn and made it powerful and easy to program. Never has a console launch been followed so quickly by such a mixture of innovative and polished games: Samba, JSR, Space Channel 5, F355, Soul Calibur, Power Stone, Crazy Taxi etc etc. Many were Naomi conversions, but nobody else has a console that's basically the same as their top end arcade hardware so that's fair enough. I've never seen a game on the PS2 which I thought was better than the DC could have managed. Sadly though, people were too dim or too conservative to buy them in decent numbers, so it died. RIP.

As I said, I'm a Sega fan, but I'm not blindly loyal. I think they've done more than enough to earn my loyalty.

At one with the weasels
    Thanks
    pc favs from recent times

1) Mafia
    2) GTA3/Vice City
    3) Battleground HL mod
    4) Day Of Defeat HL mod
    5) Max Payne 2

older favourites from my past

1) Close Combat 2
    2) Swotl
    3) Mario Kart 64
    4) Goldeneye
    5) Dawn Patrol
    Last edited by jcoquillon; 23-12-2003 at 02:46 PM.
    [WARNING] May contain trace levels of sarcasm

[SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana]A[SIZE=2]mbition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy

Banned
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Rave
    Yes. They make the best games.

Alright that's a bit glib, so I'll discuss. On my list I count 6 games actually produced by Sega. 3 are on Sega consoles but programmed by somebody else, and all three AFAIK were also available on other platforms. 4 are not Sega at all.
    Well, the majority are Sega games, either made by Sega, or on Sega consoles, also, you mention no games from Nintendo or Sony (system specific games), and claim that you couldn't enjoy Mario after Sonic. I think that qualifies as a Sega bias.

I am a huge Sega fan though, and here's why: I don't believe that any other company has ever come close to producing as many innovative, creative and inspirational games while still maintaining such a high level of quality. There are so many genres where Sega were at the forefront.
    Well, its a bit silly to say that no other company has 'come close' to doing what Sega has, when it comes tom quality games, as you could argue one way or another between Nintendo and Sega, as to who has the better overall back-catalogue, but I don't think you can put together a case for Nintendo not being close to Sega.

Personally, I'd put them slightly ahead; Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, and Miyamoto (the gaming genius) have just a little bit too much for Sega in my opinion, but they are very close.

The golden age of gaming was during the 8 and 16bit wars, when Sega and Nintendo were trying to out-do each other. That is not a coincidence.

Nintendo have it, when it comes to sheer gaming genius, in my mind, but Sega are quality through and through.

In the arcades, Space Harrier, Afterburner, Outrun etc. were some of the best games of the 80s. In 1991(ish) Sega took the 3d racing game a quantum leap forward with Virtua Racing and then followed it up with Daytona (which still packs 'em in 10 years after it came out) and the incomparable Sega Rally. Virtua Fighter pretty much invented the 3D fighting game. Ditto Virtua Cop for the 3D gun game. Then you've got the games like Crazy Taxi, Samba, Virtua Tennis which aren't exactly innovative, just brilliant.
    Indeed, but then Nintendo can claim some of the best games ever, let alone of the 80s, 90s or whatever. Super Mario is the most recognisable gaming mascot of all time, Donkey Kong and Zelda have often starred in games approaching perfection, and they hold many all-time sales records and fastest selling game records (at the time), for games like Super Mario Bros 3, etc.

Also, they have dominated the handheld market since there was a handheld market, with the GameBoy, and GameBoy Advance.

Sega have an unmatched Arcade pedigree, granted, but again, for sheer innovation, and sheer quality gaming, that was fun and brilliant in equal measure, again, I'd just give the big N the edge.

As for consoles:
    Thinking back, I've actually owned as many Sega consoles as Nintendo ones: Master System, Mega Drive and Dreamcast for Sega, SNES, N64 and Gamecube for Nintendo.

The Master System was a better machine for us Europeans, as it seemed to lend itself to the sorts of games we were playing at the time.

SNES was just a far better console than the Megadrive, hands down, in my opinion, pads aside. Actually, the SNES was a far better console than anything else, as far as I am concerned. A true classic.

I remember getting one with Mario Kart and Street Fighter II Turbo. Those were the days.

Saturn was a cock-up as you say, and I think the N64 and Dreamcast were similar; both quality machines, both died far too soon, but give me either, with a handful of the best games for the system, and I'd be happy for a very long time.

As I said, I'm a Sega fan, but I'm not blindly loyal. I think they've done more than enough to earn my loyalty.
    They have indeed. I've enjoyed many an hour on a Sega machine, and Sonic 1 would be 6th on my top 5 list of all time greats.

Anyway, now that Sega are software only, you can have a Nintendo console, with Sega and Nintendo software. Actually, it was only 4 months ago that I was playing 'Sonic Mega Collection' on my GameCube.

Good post, I enjoyed it.

Banned
    Thanks
    Come on then Rave... parry, thrust and all that.

Your turn.

Thanks
    Heh, sorry mate, my home computer is borked. First day back in the office today, will try and reply over lunch time. I'm probably not going to do much but agree though.

Thanks
    Well, let's see what I can say here. Trying to argue that Sega are better than Nintendo (or vice versa) is like arguing that apples are better than oranges really- fun but ultimately impossible to prove one way or the other. So let's get stuck in.

Originally posted by Vaul
    Well, the majority are Sega games, either made by Sega, or on Sega consoles, also, you mention no games from Nintendo or Sony (system specific games), and claim that you couldn't enjoy Mario after Sonic. I think that qualifies as a Sega bias.
    Well, maybe. My brother has a PS and a PS2 and I've spent many a happy hour on MGS, Tomb Raider 2, GT and GT3, GTA3 and Vice City etc., but although they're all great games I don't think I've enjoyed any of them as much as my top 13 games. Perhaps I'm being unfair to Gran Turismo TBH, maybe it should be in there. As for Nintendo, I've never owned a Nintendo console- I've played them at friends houses and never been tempted to buy one (although see end of post).

Well, its a bit silly to say that no other company has 'come close' to doing what Sega has, when it comes tom quality games, as you could argue one way or another between Nintendo and Sega, as to who has the better overall back-catalogue, but I don't think you can put together a case for Nintendo not being close to Sega.
    Hmm, well we're back to total subjectivity here. Perhaps that is a bit of a silly thing to say, but from my perspective I much prefer Sega's console games to Nintendo's, and they have an impeccable arcade record as well, so for me they're the clear winner.

The golden age of gaming was during the 8 and 16bit wars, when Sega and Nintendo were trying to out-do each other. That is not a coincidence.
    Amen. You can't beat some cutthroat competition.

Indeed, but then Nintendo can claim some of the best games ever, let alone of the 80s, 90s or whatever. Super Mario is the most recognisable gaming mascot of all time, Donkey Kong and Zelda have often starred in games approaching perfection, and they hold many all-time sales records and fastest selling game records (at the time), for games like Super Mario Bros 3, etc.
    Yeah, but I just don't really get Super Mario. Yeah, they're big games and they've got a cute character, but I honestly can't see why they're better than, say, the Alex Kid or Wonder Boy games. Sonic on the other hand is the first game I can think of where the character gains and keeps momentum, and the levels are way more interactive and organic.

Also, they have dominated the handheld market since there was a handheld market, with the GameBoy, and GameBoy Advance.
    True. The original Super Mario Land on the Gameboy is great fun, has great music, and has occupied quite a lot of my time over the years. Still, I prefer my Neo Geo Pocket. Sadly though, due to a serious lack of games for it, I'm probably going to have to get a GBA at some point.

SNES was just a far better console than the Megadrive, hands down, in my opinion, pads aside. Actually, the SNES was a far better console than anything else, as far as I am concerned. A true classic.
    Yeah? Why?

I remember getting one with Mario Kart and Street Fighter II Turbo. Those were the days.
    SFII Turbo came out on the Megadrive as well, and plays fine. Mario Kart....well alright.

Saturn was a cock-up as you say, and I think the N64 and Dreamcast were similar; both quality machines, both died far too soon, but give me either, with a handful of the best games for the system, and I'd be happy for a very long time.
    I'd take the Dreamcast.

Anyway, now that Sega are software only, you can have a Nintendo console, with Sega and Nintendo software. Actually, it was only 4 months ago that I was playing 'Sonic Mega Collection' on my GameCube.
    Yeah, a Gamecube is becoming more and more tempting. They're ridiculously cheap now, they're tiny so I could get away with one even in my overstuffed flat, and there do seem to be plent of good games for them. The only problem is that some of the Sega games seem to be XBox only, which is a pity, because it's a hulking beast of a thing.

Good post, I enjoyed it.
    Cheers, I enjoyed yours too.

Thanks
    • Dorza's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Deluxe - WiFi
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3.06Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Crucial
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung SpinPoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce 9600GT
      • PSU:
      • Cosair HX520W
      • Case:
      • LianLi something something or other
      • Monitor(s):
      • Eizo FlexScan S1910 (1280*1024)
      • Internet:
      • 2mb Virgin (when they want to give me that: else 1mb)
    1) Warzone 2100, Spent hours and hours playing that game
    2) Unreal Tournament 2003
    3) Homeworld 2
    4) Need for speed 3 Hot pursuite
    5) C&C Generals

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information