Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 5 All Time Games?

Banned
    Thanks
    Once more unto the breach, dear friends...

Originally posted by Rave
    Well, let's see what I can say here. Trying to argue that Sega are better than Nintendo (or vice versa) is like arguing that apples are better than oranges really.
    Indeed. Like I say, it wasn't your statement that you preferred Sega over Nintendo that I thought was in need of discussion, more your claims that no other company has come close to Sega's quality of games.

I think both Nintendo and Sony have done rather more than come close, Nintendo in particular. After all, despite the Arcade pedigree of Sega, and the Sonic's, Wonder Boy's, Alex Kids, etc, Sega are no long making consoles, where as Sony and Nintendo are still going strong.

As for Nintendo, I've never owned a Nintendo console- I've played them at friends houses and never been tempted to buy one (although see end of post).
    Hmm, well, if you've never owned one, then maybe this explains why you don't consider them as good as Sega's machines.

Pick up an old SNES and 10 or so good games, and I'm sure you will see Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, F-Zero and all the other Nintendo games, for the classics they are. You may then see why Super Mario Bros. 3 sold an utterly amazing amount of units.

Hmm, well we're back to total subjectivity here. Perhaps that is a bit of a silly thing to say, but from my perspective I much prefer Sega's console games to Nintendo's, and they have an impeccable arcade record as well, so for me they're the clear winner.
    It is a silly statement, to be honest, in my opinion. No offence, and all that.

Nintendo have Super Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Mario Kart, and a whole heap of classics, they have genius games designers like Myiamoto, they have in the shape of Super Mario, the worlds most recognised games mascot, and they are still making consoles, unlike Sega, and have a history of churning out classic, after classic, after classic. Despite this, you say (without ever having owned a Nintendo console) that Sega somehow emerge as the 'clear winner'.

Maybe there is enough to go on, to say you prefer Sega over Nintendo, but there really is no case for saying Sega is a clear winner. On what basis are they the winner in any respect, let alone the clear winner?

I'll give you an example of what I mean. A while ago, well respected gaming website IGN, did a 'Top 100 Games Of All Time' article, where they went through every game they had played, console or PC, and compiled them into a ranking list.

Here is the top 5 in reverse order:

#5: Super Mario 64
    Platform: Nintendo 64
    Developer: EAD, Nintendo
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Year Released: 1996

#4: Tetris
    Platform: various
    Developer: Alexey Pajitnov
    Publisher: various
    Year Released: 1987

-- I've left this one as it is, but when I think of Tetris, I think of the Nintendo Gameboy.

#3: Super Metroid
    Platform: Super NES
    Developer: Nintendo
    Year Released: 1994

#2: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    Platform: Nintendo 64, Nintendo GameCube
    Developer: Nintendo EAD
    Year Released: 1998

#1: Super Mario Bros.
    Platform: Arcade, Nintendo Entertainment System
    Developer: EAD, Nintendo
    Year Released: 1985

Again, looking at that list, I see little evidence that Sega have emerged as the clear winner. I see little evidence that Sega have won anything, to be honest. Like I say, I have no problem with you liking Sega over Nintendo; Sega are a quality outfit, who have published many great games, and have an unmatched Arcade pedigree.

Saying, however, that Sega are the clear winner, when really, all the evidence points to Nintendo having the edge, and then saying that you've never even owned a Nintendo console is, perhaps, more worthy of discussion.

Maybe you can expand a bit more, on your reasons for coming to the conclusion that Sega are the clear winner.

Oh, by the way, the rest of the Top 10 was made up of 2 PC games, 2 more Nintendo games (Final Fantasy II and another Zelda classic), and Street Fighter II turbo, who’s first and best home version, arrived on the SNES.

As far as I could tell, the first exclusive Sega platform game was ‘NHL ‘94’ in 16th position, and the highest placed Sega developed game was… well, I stopped looking in the mid 30s, and didn’t see one (Passed another 10 or so Nintendo games though).

Harsh, but again, this shows just how dominant Nintendo are when in comes to sheer quality of game play, and fun factor. I’m not that surprised, to be honest, I mean, Alex Kidd games are good, but comparable to Mario games? Not in the slightest. Only Sonic comes close to the gallery of Nintendo created stars.

Where did Sonic the Hedgehog, the classic Genesis original place? 90th. Although, I admit that this is very harsh, Sonic should be in the top 20 or so.

Yeah, but I just don't really get Super Mario.
    Well, fair enough, but to be honest, almost everyone else does. I do, and I also ‘get’ Sonic as well. Why can you only ‘get’ something, if it has Sega written on it?

As for your other points – yes, no contest really between a GBA and a Neo-Geo pocket.

Street Fighter did indeed come out for the Mega Drive, and was a half-way decent port.

And yes – of the 3 major consoles at the moment, the Cube is the better choice. Game quality is where it’s at.

Your turn.
    Last edited by Stewart; 30-12-2003 at 06:47 PM.

Mind that bus, what bus? Splat!
    Thanks
    • Gr44's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Premium
      • CPU:
      • C2Q Q6600 G0 @ 3.68Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4x1GB Crucial Ballistix PC8500+
      • Storage:
      • 2x 500GB Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • Enermax 720w
      • Case:
      • Lian Li G70
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell 2408's
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100MB
    PC Games:

1) Unreal Tournament
    2) Starcraft
    3) Dune
    4) Fallout1/2
    5) Call of Duty

Hard choice, proberly missed some really good ones Red alert/C&C is good, but Dune was the origanal, made by westwood, before C&C so i think that should get credit. Starcraft is the best point/click RTS imo

Console games ( i dont play many, but ill try )

1) Shenmue
    2) Mario Kart
    3) Diddy Kong Racing
    4) Sonic ( all of em` )
    5) Goldeneye

Sorry, i couldnt merdge console and pc games they are too differant

Thanks
    Originally posted by Vaul
    I think both Nintendo and Sony have done rather more than come close, Nintendo in particular.
    Sony? Pfft.

After all, despite the Arcade pedigree of Sega, and the Sonic's, Wonder Boy's, Alex Kids, etc, Sega are no long making consoles, where as Sony and Nintendo are still going strong.
    True, but what difference does that make?

Hmm, well, if you've never owned one, then maybe this explains why you don't consider them as good as Sega's machines.

Pick up an old SNES and 10 or so good games, and I'm sure you will see Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, F-Zero and all the other Nintendo games, for the classics they are. You may then see why Super Mario Bros. 3 sold an utterly amazing amount of units.
    Good idea. I'll have a look next time I'm down the boot fair.

It is a silly statement, to be honest, in my opinion. No offence, and all that.

Nintendo have Super Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Mario Kart, and a whole heap of classics, they have genius games designers like Myiamoto, they have in the shape of Super Mario, the worlds most recognised games mascot, and they are still making consoles, unlike Sega, and have a history of churning out classic, after classic, after classic. Despite this, you say (without ever having owned a Nintendo console) that Sega somehow emerge as the 'clear winner'.

Maybe there is enough to go on, to say you prefer Sega over Nintendo, but there really is no case for saying Sega is a clear winner. On what basis are they the winner in any respect, let alone the clear winner?
    Whoa there! Calm down! I may not have made it clear in my first post, but I made an effort to in my second: that is my personal, subjective opinion. I prefer Sega to Nintendo, and vice-versa for you. That doesn't make either of us wrong or right. You could accuse me of writing off Nintendo while having insufficient experience of their games, and to a certain extent that could be true, but I've played plenty of their games and not liked them. I can assure you that I evaluate games on whether I enjoy playing them or not, it doesn't bother me who created them (unless it's EA).

I'll give you an example of what I mean. A while ago, well respected gaming website IGN, did a 'Top 100 Games Of All Time' article, where they went through every game they had played, console or PC, and compiled them into a ranking list.<snip>
    Well, that's all very well, but all it means is that they don't like the same games I do.

Saying, however, that Sega are the clear winner,
    My first post may have said that, my second one certainly doesn't.

Well, fair enough, but to be honest, almost everyone else does. I do, and I also ‘get’ Sonic as well. Why can you only ‘get’ something, if it has Sega written on it?
    That's pretty unjustified.

Rich :¬)

Banned
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Rave
    That's pretty unjustified.

Don't lose heart and be sad! Think of all the flowers, tree's, sunsets and little puppies!

Seriously though, the point is, I can't see why you don't get Mario, when you love Sonic, and the games are both mascot based, both at their heart, platform games, both feature the trademark baddie (Bowser and Robotnik), both side-scrollers, and both superb games.

What exactly don't you get about Mario? Slow Sonic down, or speed Mario up, and they are pretty much the exact same style of game.

What exactly don't you get \ like about the average Mario game?

You don't like Mario Bros, Mario Bros 3, Super Mario World, Mario 64, Mario Sunshine, Yoshi's Island, etc, etc?

Senile Member
    Thanks
    Half life (the mods)
    FFVII
    Age Of Empires/AOK/AOM
    Baldurs Gate 2
    Carnage Heart

Thanks
    Originally posted by Vaul
    What exactly don't you get about Mario? Slow Sonic down, or speed Mario up, and they are pretty much the exact same style of game.

What exactly don't you get \ like about the average Mario game?

You don't like Mario Bros, Mario Bros 3, Super Mario World, Mario 64, Mario Sunshine, Yoshi's Island, etc, etc?
    I haven't played any of the 3D ones, maybe I should, although I've never played a 3D platformer I've liked (crash bandicoot etc.) so it hasn't been a priority. I really can't explain why I don't like the others; it's just something about the 'feel' and controllability; I just find controlling Sonic a lot easier and more intuitive. I think maybe Sonic is bigger on the screen so it's easier for a klutz like me to position him properly and not have to worry about mistiming jumps etc., and as I've said I think the momentum is more realistic (if that's possible in a platform game). Also remember that I have little or no time for any of the Sonic sequels; although I hear Sonic CD is good. I really should try and find out how to alter the region code on a Mega CD game when burning a copy, 'cos I've got the American version here, but no Pro CDX.

I'll re-iterate though that games are a matter of personal choice. I reckon my taste in games is fairly different to the norm, and that I often like games for slightly perverse reasons. There are games that I acknowledge are good or even great that just don't make me click, whereas I like some games for reasons that may seem strange. Outrun, for example, is not really a good game by today's standards, or even particularly by the standards of the time. I love it though because every time I cruise through the third level with all the flowers and windmills and marvel at the bright primary colours and the blue sky, listening to Magical Sound Shower, I'm taken back to a simpler age.

Thanks
    Pc:
    Unreal Tournament
    Counter-Strike
    Morrowind
    Thief 2
    Dues Ex

Console:
    Chrono Trigger
    Terrinigma
    Megaman X
    Megaman X3
    Streets of Rage

"Duffman says alot of Things" - Duffman

ERU
    Thanks
    Rome Total War - even if it isnt out yet

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    Quote Originally Posted by ERU
    Rome Total War - even if it isnt out yet
    see, that's a really silly thing to say - daikatana was really hyped up, and look at that. never ever EVER suggest that unreleased games are the "best game ever".

Thanks
    • spazman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte DS3
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.2Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Corsair PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 320gb RAID 0 , 250gb IDE , 160gb IDE, 400bg USB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 7900GX2
      • PSU:
      • 750watt Enermax
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" LCD 19" CRT
      • Internet:
      • Be Unlimited
    What a question , ive been racking my brains for an hour or so now and ive come to a final conclusion. I dont have a specific order to them i like them all as much as each other.

1, Zelda: Ocarina of time (Quite simply amazing)
    2, Soldier Of Fortune 2 (only because of the multiplayer)
    3, Mafia (My love of ganster films helped with this one, still very very good)
    4, Sonic 1, 2 and 3 (kept m entertained for stupid lenghs of time)
    5, Gran Turismo 2 (More cars to race than any other game, and i love racing cars)
    NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii, GBA, DS, PSone, PS2, PSP, PS3 60gb, XBOX, XBOX 360, Master System, Game Gear, Mega Drive, Saturn, Dreamcast, PC Engine, Neo Geo CD

Thanks
    Top 5:

Original Star Wars sit in console First game that made me want to buy a home computer - I was about 11 at the time.

Elite - Took about 1/2 an hour to load off of tape, but was worth it and more. Was the first really open ended game - played it for months on end.

Mario 64 - Nintendo show what polish really means. Can't be faulted

Quake - For making me buy more PC hardware than any other game.

Half life - Not only for putting in a plot, but for creating a mod community like no other.

Just missing the mark are monkey island 1 (needs no intro), Grim Fandango (much underrated IMHO), Chuckie Egg (sonic of it's time , Sonic 1 (who can forget turning on the megadrive for the first time and hearing "sega"), Doom (for making the FPS genre - yes I know there were games before - but Doom made it a game, rather than a novelty), Xenon II (for the endless upgrades), and Dune 2 (the first proper RTS).
    Now go away before I taunt you a second time.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by directhex
    see, that's a really silly thing to say - daikatana was really hyped up, and look at that. never ever EVER suggest that unreleased games are the "best game ever".
    Got to agree with sexy Hexy. By far the most silly thing a gamer can say, it to proclaim a game that isn'tm out yet as 'the best game ever'. Of course, Rome: Total War is looking very ninja indeed, but it might not even be average, let alone the best game of all time.

This thread is also 7 million years old, by the way, and was bumped. Just thought I'd mention it.

Thanks
    my personal favorites

1. Elite
    2. Il2
    3. Microprose Grand Prix
    4. Quake
    5. Tie Fighter

Ravens Nest
    Repton 1 2 or 3 (Acorn Electron)
    Renegade & Target Renegade (Spectrum 128k +2)
    Wonderboy (Sega Master system)
    Populous 1 & 2 (Amiga 500)
    Daggerfall (PC)

Other honourable mentions should got to the following...

UFO enemy unknown (Amiga & PC), Citadel (Acorn electron), Syndicate wars (PC), Theme park (Amiga & PC), It came from the desert (Amiga), Starpaws (Spectrum) Feud (Spectrum), Strykers run (Acorn electron), IK+ (Amiga) WINGS (Amiga), Dungeon keeper 1 & 2 (PC), Balders gate 1 & 2 (PC), Planescape Torment (PC)

I can think of loads more but i'll leave it, actually makes me quite sad i really miss BULLFROG, the games they made were revolutionary.. i know Peter molyneaux went on to start Lionhead but it's just not the same and Black & White was a major disappointment.
    Last edited by Ravens Nest; 28-06-2004 at 09:25 AM.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    bullfrog aren't dead, they did the port of quake 3 to playstation 2!

after molnyeux & diskett left with their respective teams, that is

Thanks
    • spazman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte DS3
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.2Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Corsair PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 320gb RAID 0 , 250gb IDE , 160gb IDE, 400bg USB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 7900GX2
      • PSU:
      • 750watt Enermax
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" LCD 19" CRT
      • Internet:
      • Be Unlimited
    I can guarantee that Gran Turismo 4 will the the best racing game ever and thats not out yet
    NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii, GBA, DS, PSone, PS2, PSP, PS3 60gb, XBOX, XBOX 360, Master System, Game Gear, Mega Drive, Saturn, Dreamcast, PC Engine, Neo Geo CD

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information