Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PC World are a joke!!!!

Thanks
    no - i broke the seal when i got my hdd on a customer quick fix part.

PC World atually said when i rung up a while ago it does not void your warrenty unless unless u damge the components

Thanks
    I suspect thats not going to stand up, see if you can find your warrenty agreement.

The bottom line is - seal broke normally = void.
    It is Inevitable.....

Thanks
    but thats what they told me!!!! i dont care what the warrenty agrement says. When i rung there customer service thats why they said. And Customer Quick Fix means you replace the part your self!

Thanks
    Whether or not what their customer services have told you do you have proof that this is what they told you? the saying the customer is always right doesnt really exist these days.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by qshosting View Post
    he warrenty is not voided so in basic terms i in right for a full refund?
    That was 5 minutes after my post, so I'll assume it relates to what I said. If so :- ....

1) Warranty.

The coverage you get with the warranty is whatever the warranty says it is. If that entitles you to as full refund (which I doubt), then you may be entitled to one. What does the warranty say?

2) Sale of Goods Act.

In order to be entitled to a full refund under statutory protections, certain specific criteria must be met. Essentially, you have to reject goods very quickly after you buy them. That, except in rare circumstances, means days or, at most, a few weeks. Only if you could show exceptional circumstances (such as being taken into hospital immediately after getting the goods, and therefore being unable to test and/or reject them) would it be as long as months, let alone more than a year.

Your chances of being entitled to as full refund under the Sale of Goods Act are, essentially, nil. But a partial refund is an option. The supplier would be entitled to make a deduction to reflect the value you've had from the goods while you've had them. If, for instance, an "average" life of a PC was three years (36 months) and you've hasd them for 14 months, they could offer a refund amounting to 22/36ths of the purchase price.

Ultimately, if you rely on the Sale of Goods Act, you have to bear in mind that the final recourse will be to take PC World to court (small claims track). If you do, then the court will look at the whole situation, and see what and who has behaved reasonably or otherwise.

So far, PC World seem to have taken considerable steps to address the problem, including replacing the machine two or three times. And they're still suggesting further courses of action, such as component swap-outs. If you were to attempt to claim a full refund after all this time, it's likely to be seen as unreasonable.

On the other hand, looking at it the other way, you've given PC World ample opportunity to rectify the problem, including replacing the machine, and you still have problems that are causing inconvenience and hassle, and you shouldn't have to put up with that ad infinitum.

So ..... you MIGHT be able to talk PC World into a full refund on the basis of the hassle and their inability to resolve this. But the Sale of Goods Act does not give you an entitlememt to demand a full refund. You went past that point a long time ago. A partial refund, though, yes probably.

But, while they're still trying to sort it out, you have to decide if you want to try to force their hand. If you now say that enough's enough, that they obviously can't find and solve the problem or that they have a batch of sub-satandard goods (given several replacements), then you risk them simply saying "well, sue us then, but we aren't giving you a refund".

If you put them on the spot by demanding a refund, and they refuse, are you prepared to take legal action? Because if you're not, and you give them an ultimatum and they call your bluff, you're screwed.

Sale og Goods Act rights are all very well in theory, but if it comes to it and they won't do what you want,those rights are pretty meaningless unless you're prepared to try to enforce them in court. And if you do that, can you prove that the goods were, and still are, faulty? Suppose PC World have records showing that they've fixed problems caused by damage to the PC? Do you have evidence supporting what you say was wrong with them? Has the PC been inspected by an independent assessor/engineer, and do you have a report? Do you have documentation showing the number of times the PC has been back for repair, such as receipts or a report on work done? Can you substantiate your story in this way?

It's all very well using the SoGA to beat up retailers with, but if you use it, to risk them calling your bluff, and though shop sles staff may not understand what you are and aren't entitled to, someone in the hierarchy will undoubtedly know far better than you or I what their chances are in court.

I'd suggest going down the legal route only if you have to. It should be the last resort.

Note. I'm not a lawyer. This is opinion, not qualified legal advice. On your own head be it.

Thanks
    • staffsMike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • evga 680i
      • CPU:
      • e6600
      • Memory:
      • geil ultra pc6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • ocz gameXstream 700w
      • Case:
      • akasa eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • dell 2007wfp and Lg L194WT
      • Internet:
      • pipex homecall
    If it were me i'd call pc world head office...ask to talk to someone who can get things done and say exactly what you have told us..

3 replacement pc's so far..god knows how many phone calls and weeks without a pc..

replace it with something that actually works..ie a totally different pc preferably not parckard bell (i hope you've learned your lesson) or you want your money back.

You dont need much legal knowledge just 3 words..

Fit For Purpose.

It obvious that no replacement parts they can produce will keep your pc going so demand a refund.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by staffsMike View Post

You dont need much legal knowledge just 3 words..

Fit For Purpose.

It obvious that no replacement parts they can produce will keep your pc going so demand a refund.
    Well, actually those three words mean something very different.

The Sale of Goods Act requires (among other things) that goods are :-

- of satisfactory quality
    - fit for purpose
    - as described.

The "fit for purpose" bit is whether they goods supplied are suitable for the purpose for which they were bought, either when that purpose is implicit in the nature of the goods, or explicitly stated to the supplier, not whether they are faulty.

Goods can be in perfect working order, but not fit for purpose. If you bought a raincoat, then an implicit use is to wear in the rain. If it doesn't keep rain out, it isn't fit for the purpose, even though it's not damaged, and the fitness for use in the rain is implicit in the nature of the goods ... you don't have to say you want to wear it in the rain.

If you bought a PC to run Windows Vista, and you were sold an old PC that physically wouldn't run it, then IF you stated it was Vista, it would not be fit for purpose .... but running Vista isn't implicit in the nature of a PC, so you'd have to explicitly state that that was the purpose. The supplier isn't supposed to be psychic in working out what you want to do with a product, unless it's implicit in the nature of the product, so if in doubt, state what you want it for.

If you bought a Core 2 Duo processor, and said you wanted a motherboard that it would work in and were sold an AMD Socket A mobo, it wouldn't be fit for purpose, even though the mobo itself was in perfect working order.

qshosting's problem is about "satisfactory quality", not fitness for purpose.

Thanks
    Saracen do you work for trading standers or something? You sound to me like you are very intellgent when it comes to the law bascally i wouldnt take them to court but i would bascally get in contact with /Consumer Direct/Trading Standers/Watchdog ive already been contacted by a program called "Don't Get Done, Get Dom" BBC One they say they help consumers with problems with companys they saw a post on another forum thy told me. But im telling thr truth this is what happend to me i also have a freind who lives down the road who had the same problem

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks
    No, gshosting. My interest in the law is purely amateur. I did get formal training (and exam passes) in some aspects of the law, a long time ago, as part of Chartered Accountancy qualifications, but it was relatively superficial, cetainly in terms of consumer protection legislation (and has been fairly thoroughly overhauled since) .... and 25 years ago.

If you can get any form of media interest (local radio consumer affairs programs are another good bet), that's probably as likely to 'provoke' a positive reaction from a well-known company as anything else.

I have no doubt you're telling the truth. It also strikes me as a not exactly atypical story of big company arrogance giving the consumer the run-around. My only warning would be that if it comes to court, telling the truth isn't always enough, sadly.

Thanks
    now just cleaned it all out dust etc etc worked for a while then shut it self off!! now it comes on but nothing on the screen so it could be a mobo/gfx/cpu issue . God Dam PC WORLD! Im gonna get a refund

Metier9
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    Where in the world?
    c*** o world

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by h4x3r920 View Post
    now just cleaned it all out dust etc etc worked for a while then shut it self off!! now it comes on but nothing on the screen so it could be a mobo/gfx/cpu issue . God Dam PC WORLD! Im gonna get a refund
    Why is it always PC World's fault? You need to take some responsibility for yourself. Maybe you have knocked something or unseated a component? Either way, you can't blame PC World for this one...

Regarding the seal. Computers from places such as these places normally have seals that void the warranty if they are broken. The reason for this is simple. Everything is done through premium rate numbers hence should you have a problem, they are profiting from it. If they allowed you to fiddle yourself and keep the warranty the chances are you would not be calling the helpline.

Be careful what people on a helpdesk tell you. Always be sure to get their name. Someone on the helpdesk telling you to do something will not stand up in court and you will have no comeback. Consult your warranty document and proceed with caution. Prebuilt systems like this have the cost of the warranty factored into them, seems silly to loose this as you have already paid for it.

Thanks
    as I said - 3 PC's 3 faults - 1 user, I see a commonality
    It is Inevitable.....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information