Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Media brainwashing...

Has all the piri-piri! GeorgeTuk's Avatar
    Thanks
    Modern games are all in vogue at the moment and thats because there is a lot of military might being thrown around the middle east at the moment. That said the Nineties were all about the Russians and their duels with the Americans and they were portrayed equally badly.

I would like to see a game whereby Americans start a conflict unprovoked (real world parallel...I couldn't possibly say) and everyone goes out to attack them.

Also I am bit bored with deserty textures which lets face it are easier (a link...surely not!) what about a FPS based outside in Britain, all the greens and browns, there is plenty of military hardware to model, in fact I have an idea for a scenario now. Also terrorists are getting a bit dull and cliched now, its been done to death.

All that said, DICE's next Battlefield game has mercenaries so maybe that will be a nice change.

Stealth Geek - And Proud!

Thanks
    Withdrawn

Learnt my lesson, I'll just stick to the techie forums in the future and not dare express an opinion.
    Last edited by Akira; 14-03-2007 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Hard-ass senior forum members, opinion withdrawn

Thanks
    Oh Akira,

You expressed your opinion we expressed ours and some people were a bit vitriolic but thats the internet. Don't be offended.

Thanks
    Gimme a break, calling my opinion crap does not follow the spirit of the forum, check out the forum title for further guidance.

Thanks
    No need to edit out your posts - You made a couple of good points - In fact I seem to remember there have been some games done from the other point of view portraying Westerners as the opposition.

History tends to be written by the winners and if computer games are a form of modern history ( in media ) then surely they'll reflect that ?
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

Thanks
    Err Akira, when did I call your opinion crap? Don't tar me with that rather large brush of yours.

Thank you

Thanks
    I just wanted to avoid any further carnage.

The fact is that anti-islamic feeling is high across the western world and, from an arab point of view, seeing folks chasing images of fellow arabs and shooting them may not be tasteful to them. I'm also not saying I don't play and enjoy these games, I do. But this doesn't lessen my point surely?

Nothing to do with political correctness, a simple truth. I'm not advocating censorship in video games in any form whatsoever!

If history is written by the victors (and we know it is) what will they make of the war in Iraq which may or may not be a just one?

Have you seen the movie where US troops manage to pinch the Enigma machine from the Nazis? Historically this is ridiculous as British Commandos recovered the Enigma machine with no American involvement...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeTuk View Post
    Err Akira, when did I call your opinion crap? Don't tar me with that rather large brush of yours.

Thank you
    Did I even say that? NO. I was referring to the forum as you yourself were....

IBM
    there but for the grace of God, go I IBM's Avatar
    Thanks
    • IBM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel E6600 Core2Duo 2.40GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400
      • Storage:
      • 150G WD SATA 10k RAPTOR, 500GB WD SATA Enterprise
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Leadtek NVIDIA GeForce PX8800GTS 640MB
      • PSU:
      • CORSAIR HX 620W MODULAR PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec P182 Black Case
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WPF A04
      • Internet:
      • domestic zoom
    World culture needs a bad guy...during the Cold War that was the Communists, and now it's Muslims. The generalisations are unfair, and do contribute to negative stereotypes.

The West (primarily the USA and corporate culture) have found things to be afraid of in Islam, not least it's rapid expansion. Combined with current affairs, it makes it an easy target.
    sig removed by Zak33

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TiG View Post
    guns don't kill people, people kill people. TiG
    I think you mean: Guns don't kill people........ wappers do
    Well, I can cut it in half!

www.theeraserheads.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Akira View Post
    I just wanted to avoid any further carnage.

The fact is that anti-islamic feeling is high across the western world and, from an arab point of view, seeing folks chasing images of fellow arabs and shooting them may not be tasteful to them. I'm also not saying I don't play and enjoy these games, I do. But this doesn't lessen my point surely?

Nothing to do with political correctness, a simple truth. I'm not advocating censorship in video games in any form whatsoever!

If history is written by the victors (and we know it is) what will they make of the war in Iraq which may or may not be a just one?

Have you seen the movie where US troops manage to pinch the Enigma machine from the Nazis? Historically this is ridiculous as British Commandos recovered the Enigma machine with no American involvement...
    since when has anti islamic feeling been high, sounds to me like to you've been reading to much sun, i'd say more ppl are sick of feeling there uncontrolled immigration letting pyschos and nutters into the country
    and that comment about the war been written by victors blah blah pretty rubbish argument tbh because the government have hardly any control over whats written maybe they did during medieval times, although i do agree with you inrespect that games media adverts do effect ppl maybe not always in bad way but they simply do effect ppl
    Last edited by mcmiller; 14-03-2007 at 06:45 PM.

Thanks
    Okay, the reading of books is, according to the BBC, on the wane and in the states it's even worse.

Reasons for this - they watch TV or play video games (again the BBC, not me so no flaming please).

So, somebody watches, I don't know, Band of Brothers, Pearl Harbour or the movie about the Enigma machine (no, not Enigma, the other one) and they get exposed to a factual historical account? Exactly.

I bet if you asked pretty much any American about the US involvement in both WWI and WWII and a typical quip would be, "we saved your asses". I bet in 30 years time they're saying the same thing about the war in Iraq (luckily we have the net this time).

Anti Islamic feeling not high? I'm not talking about inthe Uk but in the west in general, why else would a passenger plane not take off until people that looked like terrorists were removed? That's completely sane, right? Why else would Sikhs (associated with middle east coz of turban) be randomly assaulted in the US? Normal right?

You can call me a politically correct whatever as much as you like but there are some things going on in the world that are just wrong and if you close your eyes and minds to them.....

There's a Rage Against the Machine song called "Wake Up"...

Btw, if you want to insult me please call me a butthole/idiot/tool or something as I consider being called a Sun reader most offensive.
    Last edited by Akira; 14-03-2007 at 07:10 PM.

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Akira View Post
    Anti Islamic feeling not high? I'm not talking about inthe Uk but in the west in general, why else would a passenger plane not take off until people that looked like terrorists were removed? That's completely sane, right?
    I have to say, that if there was ANY suspicion whatsoever about ANYONE on ANY plane before take off, I would gladly endure a delay to make sure that the flight was safe, and that there werent any religious nutters that were going to try and blow it up. When there are a couple of hundred innocent lives at risk (plus more on the ground), I feel that it is worth upsetting a few people regardless of their colour or religion, to ensure the safety of the rest of us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    stupid betond belief.
    You owe it to yourself to click here really.

Thanks
    Withdrawn
    Last edited by Akira; 14-03-2007 at 07:31 PM. Reason: have given up

Thanks
    lol so yo really think that ppl get educated through computer games and films, ever heard of something called school, university and college, these 2 middle eastern guys that got kicked off the plane are you referring to the 2 that admitted they where acting suspicously to wind ppl up.

The americans dont really need the uk to go to war they have a larger army more resources, money etc.. i doubt very much that will ever happen cliche tbh
    Last edited by mcmiller; 14-03-2007 at 07:35 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmiller View Post
    lol so yo really think that ppl get educated through computer games and films, ever heard of something called school, these 2 middle eastern guys that got kicked off the plane are you referring to the 2 that admitted they where acting suspicously to wind ppl up.
    Yep, a lesson in missing the point alright.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information